Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Tubular Bells' in Five Miles Out, or am I imagining things?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 02:48

Is that a Tubular Bells theme I hear in "Taurus II" from around 10:00 to 10:40? And if so, should I be looking out for other TB references on Five Miles Out?

I was just listening to this album again, very loudly, and... OMG it's soooooo awesome!!!

*Ahem* Sorry, but sometimes I have to let the fangirl out.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 03:10

Hello
I am not sure to hear Tubular Bells theme in Taurus II, but I can in Fives Miles Out. Listen to the track from 00:09 to 00:14. It is very difficult, but try!
:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 03:20

I'd never noticed that before! It is faint but I certainly hear it now. Thanks for pointing it out, yanouch.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 17:43

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 19 2007, 08:48)
Is that a Tubular Bells theme I hear in "Taurus II" from around 10:00 to 10:40?

Almost exactly the same melodies with different arrangement can be heard at the beginning of 'Taurus 1' (from 1:12). You can hear this theme incorporated into the 1981 live version of 'Tubular Bells Part One' during the Introduction part as it really follows the same pattern as the famous repetitve piano theme.

For similar similarities it's worth checking out the The Complete Mike Oldfield Reference Guide, the TB quote in 'Five Miles Out' can also be found there. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 01:18

EeToN, that looks to be a very useful document. Thanks very much for all the info. I intend to pay close attention when I watch 'Montreux' again.

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 04:54

You can also hear the bassline of Tubular Bells main theme in Charleston on the Platinum album.

;)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 02:14

You can also hear it if you add exactly 239 mls of skim milk to your rice bubbles.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2008, 15:10

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 22 2008, 02:14)
You can also hear it if you add exactly 239 mls of skim milk to your rice bubbles.

:laugh:  Errr... you are kidding, right? I recall reading posts about people randomly hearing MO music when there was none playing, so who knows?? I don't eat Rice Krispies (think that's the same thing) and I prefer 2% milk, so testing it would be a bit of a bother.

--------------
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2010, 20:49

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 19 2007, 07:48)
Is that a Tubular Bells theme I hear in "Taurus II" from around 10:00 to 10:40? And if so, should I be looking out for other TB references on Five Miles Out?

I was just listening to this album again, very loudly, and... OMG it's soooooo awesome!!!

*Ahem* Sorry, but sometimes I have to let the fangirl out.

You know, I noticed this a couple of years ago while I was working. Immediately after 'The Deep Deep Sound''s final line, "Here's a song to take with you", the first few bars of Tubular Bells is there in guitar and what sounds like a woodwind instrument.  It made me laugh when I first heard it; a nice 'in-joke' from Mr. Oldfield.

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
8 replies since Aug. 19 2007, 02:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net