[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 20 2012, 07:57

Quote (Ugo @ June 20 2012, 06:14)

@ TOBY: honestly, I'm not really sure about Mike's opinion on Amarok - about whether he likes it or not. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm thinking about something else, but in various occasions he referred to it as angry, extremely complex, nearly impossible to perform, disjointed, chaotic, etc. I think he also called it a huge load he'd taken off his shoulders (again, I may be wrong). All this doesn't sound to me like praises. :) But then, Mike often has highly self-contradictory opinions about his own work - maybe he does love Amarok.

Angry, extremely complex, nearly impossible to perform, disjointed, chaotic, a huge load he'd taken off his shoulders are all strengths that Amarok has in it's armoury. They are all deliberate attributes as far as I can tell.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 08:03

Anyway...I think I'm over the Sally thing now. Sure it would have been great but, as with the Incantations release, there is undreamed of material here. I for one did not know about a live studio run through of Platinum.

I think it's important to remember that a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes that we're not privvy to and why would we be? Being uber-fans doesn't give us that privilege.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
pauken Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 08:11

Quote (equinoxe @ June 20 2012, 04:34)
Quote (Black Bunik @ June 20 2012, 03:27)
Quote (TOBY @ June 19 2012, 14:25)
I also don't really think its almost criminal for him to be not doing a 5.1 mix of these albums. So few people listen to music on a 5.1 system. Even when there was a craze for it round about the time of the TB2003 5.1 mix not that many people were into it. I'd prefer a new stereo mix but even then I don't think any of these albums particularly need it.

I also think 5.1 is kind off unnecessary.
I mean I prefer proper stereo (perhaps 2.1) system over 5.1.
For the same price you can have far better sound. And if you always imagine the stage instruments are played in front of you all the time.
5.1 is definitely fun, but sitting among musicians, or instruments dancing around is kind of unnatural.
Really a matter of opinion. :)

For me, that 5.1 mixes are mostly unnecesary, but those mixes has one, big advantage: you can hear all the channels separately, so you can discover things, you can't normally hear in the stereo mix. When i heard Ommadawn channel by channel separately for the first time, i was flabbergasted, because i could to listen to some instruments that was almost unlistenable, very deep in the stereo mix, so this was like a new Ommadawn... or like the hearing to it at another angle... Love that really much!

I really enjoyed the 5.1 remixes that have been done so far but the other main advantage is that these 5.1 mixes also result in a new STEREO mix which can often be just as revealing. The sound of the new Stereo remixes of Ommadawn, HR and TB was wonderful; full, rich and detailed even if you didn't agree with some of the balance decisions made :)

There's only so much that a remastering can do as opposed to a full remix and remaster from the original multi-track tapes.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 09:09

We're a hard bunch of folks to please these days aren't we! So many of us are savvy to the ways of mastering and mixing because many of us are doing it ourselves. I wonder how many of those who have left comments on mixing and mastering make, mix and master their own music. I bet it's most of them, me included. The technology most of us have on our computers outstrips the technical capabilities available when Tubular Bells was made!

In some ways ignorance was bliss, before I was technically aware of music-making I listened and enjoyed in an unbiased way without having to pass opinion or comment. Having said that much of Oldfield's music is so good it just hits you anyway.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 20 2012, 09:32

Quote (equinoxe @ June 20 2012, 11:10)
Or maybe they actually used 2000 remaster for the vinyl release only, but on cd's we will got the new 2012 remaster. As far as i know there used to be a different master preparation for the vinyl and different for the cd's because of a technical specification for both mediums... Maybe 2000 mastering is good enough to use it as a master for the vinyl release? It's just my thoughts.

That's actually an interesting point to raise, because it really goes to the heart of what started off the trend of remastering as a marketing phenomenon.

Vinyl does really need radically different mastering to make sure it's physically possible to cut it to disc without any problems. Some early CD releases used masters which had been prepared for vinyl and didn't sound all that good transferred directly to CD - thus the need for remastering (and the potential for marketing it as something new and improved) was born.

It works the other way round, though - play a master prepared for CD into a cutting lathe and you're likely to get problems (which may go beyond the disc not sounding very good, into 'needle jumping out of the groove' territory).

They will therefore have had to either prepare a new master for these vinyl releases or have gone back to the original masters from 1979/1980. They could be based on the 2000 transfer (though I don't think they are), but it would have to be a new master.

Personally, though, I wouldn't say to buy these because they're remastered, unless you happen to think other editions sound terrible and you hope for something better. Buy them for the extra material, or for the coloured vinyl, or for the fact that it's now the only way to buy a brand new copy of the albums, but remastering...personally, as long as it sounds good, I'm not personally all that concerned with whether they're from 2000 or 2012 and I'm not too sure that it should really a big matter of concern for any potential buyers either (apart from, perhaps, the question of whether new mastering will have made it worse, and whether the full truth is being told in the marketing for the albums).
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 10:21

Quote (Black Bunik @ June 20 2012, 07:27)
5.1 is definitely fun, but sitting among musicians, or instruments dancing around is kind of unnatural.

Really? I do it all the time ;)

Having a piano that stretches right the way across your room (or, if you have headphones on, has a stereo image like you've got your head inside it) isn't really all that natural either, yet it gets done quite a lot in music mixing...

Actually, there are all sorts of little questions - like should a drum kit be panned from the player's perspective (hi hat towards the left), a 'listener's' perspective (hi hat towards the right...but then again, we have to ask, where is the listener and how much of his/her stereo field does the drum kit actually occupy? It's common to pan a drum kit right across a stereo image, but if the band were on stage, that's more the perspective you'd get by sitting on the stage in front of the drum kit, or on the drummer's stool with your back to it, than if you were listening from a few metres away)...or just have it all in the middle?

Actually, what I was intending to question here was the general idea of how many channels are actually necessary or desirable, more than questions of what the idea of 'reality' is in a music mix!

I remember reading how Brian Wilson was against using stereo for a long time - he asked how many people want to go to a party, be sat on one side of the room and only hear half the music. He's actually got a very good point there - if I don't want to sit down in an ideal position and listen intently to the music, but just have the music on while I'm doing something else, stereo already creates problems. It also makes it more difficult in placing speakers in environments where they're not the top priority (would you design your kitchen around getting a perfect stereo triangle from your cooking position, or would you just place the speakers where they're not in the way? If it's the former, would you then really not want to move from that position at all while the music is playing?).

There's this rather marketing-driven idea that stereo is always better than mono, which I find can sometimes be a very difficult thing to get people over when I'm training people in live vs studio engineering. Sure, we've got two (or four, or eight, or more...) speakers in a live environment, but it doesn't mean that running it in stereo is going to make the sound 'better' - it's probably going to make it worse. The main goal there is to have as even a coverage as possible - running a few stereo effects and even perhaps the odd crazy panning effect (if that's your kind of thing) is going to be fine, but panning one guitar hard left and the other hard right is going to create the exact same problem that Brian Wilson was talking about, that people on one side get a radically different mix from those on the other.

This isn't me having a "stereo is bad, mmmkay" rant, but just a suggestion that configurations like 5.1 can indeed be massively problematic. With stereo, people can put one speaker on the bookshelf and one behind the sofa in their living room, and they lose a maximum of half of what you've put there (plus, of course, there's often a left-right balance control, which you hope they might have left alone). 5.1 brings in not only more possible speaker placements, but also more possible adjustments - many of which, in the average home, will probably be set up to somehow give a good effect on films (like cranking up the sub for all the explosions, and the centre so the dialogue can still be heard over them).

That doesn't mean that I think 5.1 music's a bad idea, any more than I think that stereo's a bad idea - I actually think it's lovely, if you have the opportunity to sit down in the middle of a properly set up 5.1 system and just feel completely enveloped by the music. It does become much more problematic when the system's being used in situations where you don't want to sit there like that, though.

It does also bring in more questions of how the music should be portrayed. I don't really feel it's such a question of what's actually natural or unnatural - it becomes unnatural as soon as we place a microphone and make a recording, that very act is already creating something different to what's there - it's modifying rather than simply capturing. It's more about what sort of impression we want to give, what sort of picture we want to create.

I think, though, that the problematic nature of 5.1 systems in homes, that very fact that they can be expensive (for equivalent quality to a given stereo system) and sometimes difficult to find space for, and that they require even more time (and a degree of knowledge) to set up to get the best results from them, is always going to limit their appeal.

I do welcome more 5.1 material from Mike, it's always an interesting experience to hear. I'd personally be particularly interested in a full modern-format release (SACD would be nice, to go with the Tubular Bells that's was already made available, but I suppose I'll take whatever format they're prepared to invest their money in...) of the quad mixes from the 70s - particularly Ommadawn and Exposed. If they're willing to throw in Incantations while they're at it, I won't say no...
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 10:53

@ stpaul: what has "Sally" got to do with L+S?

I just tried to provoke.
What I mean: If he won't withdraw L&S and gives his ok for e.g. The Gate on a compilation and The Doges Palace on another one (both embarrassing in my opinion) and don't know where's the problem with tracks like Sally.

I can't follow his sensitivity regarding tracks like Sally, maybe All Right Now, Don Alfonso, Froggy and the original recording of MO's Single. Just a glance on the internet and he could realize that all of his fans would appreciate very much the re-release of this tracks. I'm a bit annoyed that he and Universal won't share the archives' content.
I don't see a re-re-release of his backcatalog in 20 years time...this could have been the last chance.

But I would like to give also a friendly feedback:
I'm very happy there was no veto against live recordings until now.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 14:09

Quote (stpaul @ June 20 2012, 10:53)
@ stpaul: what has "Sally" got to do with L+S?

I just tried to provoke.
What I mean: If he won't withdraw L&S and gives his ok for e.g. The Gate on a compilation and The Doges Palace on another one (both embarrassing in my opinion) and don't know where's the problem with tracks like Sally.

I totally see your point but to be fair Sally obviously is a sore spot for him for whatever reason (and that's none of our business of course) so that coupled with the fact its a crap song anyway makes me totally understand him not wanting it on there.
Had the song been really amazing I'm sure it might be a different story.

It'll be interesting to se how these re-releases develop. We've no idea where Mike's enthusiasm lies these days for some of his other 80's work. Are people going to be upset when Rite of Man is left off the Crises re-release? I'm not saying its going to be but its not Mike at his best really and I think these re-releases should showcase these albums to their best with any additional corresponding work we haven't heard before as an added bonus to keep fans interested and just to get the music out there.

@Ugo. The only vaguely derogatory thing I've heard Mike say about Amarok over the years is that he thinks some of it is unbelievably naive. I'm guessing he's probably referring to bits like the Maggie Thatcher section. I might be wrong though.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 15:16

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 20 2012, 11:21)
I do welcome more 5.1 material from Mike, it's always an interesting experience to hear. I'd personally be particularly interested in a full modern-format release (SACD would be nice, to go with the Tubular Bells that's was already made available, but I suppose I'll take whatever format they're prepared to invest their money in...) of the quad mixes from the 70s - particularly Ommadawn and Exposed. If they're willing to throw in Incantations while they're at it, I won't say no...

Whats the status on these vintage quad mixes?
Has anyone ever got round to decode these to a digital format?

I remember you were playing around with some decoders a while back... (Or was that 10 years back now?? - 2003 seems like only yesterday)

The Incantations quad mix probably doesnt exist anymore, given the state of the tapes...

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 16:40

Quote (TOBY @ June 20 2012, 14:09)
[quote=stpaul,June 20 2012, 10:53][quote=Ugo,June 20 2012, 06:14]
so that coupled with the fact its a crap song anyway

It's not a crap song! I love it, in fact I fondly remember a school friend and I singing this song together on long jaunts to go fishing so I know I'm not alone. But hey, music is a subjective thing. If nothing else though it reflects where Oldfield was at that time, post-exegesis eccentricity maybe?!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 18:00

Quote (Kiwwy @ June 20 2012, 19:16)
Whats the status on these vintage quad mixes?
Has anyone ever got round to decode these to a digital format?

I think there are some floating around on the internet somewhere. I'm not sure what they were decoded with, though - that can make a really huge difference.

It seems there are scripts for decoding SQ with Adobe Audition now, I don't know what other modern options there might be. Just reproducing a basic SQ matrix won't give terribly impressive results, the most effective decoders used various tricks to get good channel separation (or at least to give the illusion of it!).

My own hardware decoder could probably do with an overhaul...probably worth doing sometime, it's certainly fun to hear it do its thing.

Incantations...actually, the reason I mentioned it was that, around about 10 years ago, I was told that Simon Heyworth had not only found the quad master tape, but had transferred it, with the aim of it being released on SACD like with Tubular Bells. If I'm not mistaken, he'd done the same with Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (and possibly Exposed as well).

Well...seems like there are lots of things which are still waiting to see the light of day, in readily available modern formats at least. Things that have been vetoed by Mike will be just that bit harder to get out into the world than things where the record company's felt there's not enough interest - the latter might be more open to negotiation...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 18:21

Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 20 2012, 16:40)
It's not a crap song! I love it, in fact I fondly remember a school friend and I singing this song together on long jaunts to go fishing so I know I'm not alone.

Sorry I was being a bit harsh. The version I just listened to on youtube had 96 'likes' underneath it so you're clearly not alone hairy old hippie. That being said, after listening to it again just now I can still totally understand him not wanting it on there lol.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 18:31

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 20 2012, 19:00)
I think there are some floating around on the internet somewhere. I'm not sure what they were decoded with, though - that can make a really huge difference.

It seems there are scripts for decoding SQ with Adobe Audition now, I don't know what other modern options there might be. Just reproducing a basic SQ matrix won't give terribly impressive results, the most effective decoders used various tricks to get good channel separation (or at least to give the illusion of it!;).

My own hardware decoder could probably do with an overhaul...probably worth doing sometime, it's certainly fun to hear it do its thing.

Incantations...actually, the reason I mentioned it was that, around about 10 years ago, I was told that Simon Heyworth had not only found the quad master tape, but had transferred it, with the aim of it being released on SACD like with Tubular Bells. If I'm not mistaken, he'd done the same with Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (and possibly Exposed as well).

Well...seems like there are lots of things which are still waiting to see the light of day, in readily available modern formats at least. Things that have been vetoed by Mike will be just that bit harder to get out into the world than things where the record company's felt there's not enough interest - the latter might be more open to negotiation...

Now, thats quite interesting. Particularly with regard (regard or regards?) to  Incantations, where the multitracks apparantly doesnt exist anymore. You didnt get a copy of the tape by any chance?

:zzz:

A while back someone tried to get me to buy a 1/4" stereo master tape of Discovery. There was one tape per side. I was quite tempted, but then again, it would just be the same music as the LP, right?  :p

Yes, I've always suspected that the old quad encoding was a bit dodgy. But having the 4-track tapes transfered directly would of course be another matter. A quite interesting matter, for that matter.

So we just gotta push through two kinds of silly here - Mike vetoes half of it and the rest isnt financially viable...

Mike interjected: "That was rubbish! It was hard enough to mix it in stereo with the technology at the time, let alone trying to do it in quad. In the end, all they did was put a delay on the rear speakers and moved joysticks around — it wasn't even real quad, it was this special encoding quad. I did have a Quadraphonic studio just after that, around Hergest Ridge time, and I used to work in Quadraphonic.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 08:17

Kiwwy have a wander over to quadraphonicquad.com for more infrormation on decodes than you will ever need!
KorgsrewYou seem to have a line into Mike, could you ask him please ,what he plans to do in 5.1 in the future?

Can anyone recall if the Exposed DVD had a 5.1 soundtrack. Mine is in the loft so bit of a pain to check it out!
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 10:16

Quote (ingresman @ June 21 2012, 13:17)
Can anyone recall if the Exposed DVD had a 5.1 soundtrack. Mine is in the loft so bit of a pain to check it out!

The Exposed DVD is in stereo - the Guilty track that's between TB 1 and 2 is in mono.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 10:22

Mike is quite definitive here regarding Amarok :

Incantations Interview - Drowned In Sound

(Answer to 5th question "My big project")
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 11:12

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 21 2012, 10:22)
Mike is quite definitive here regarding Amarok :

Incantations Interview - Drowned In Sound

(Answer to 5th question "My big project")

Having re-read that I suspect that Platinum is a 2012 remaster and that QE2 isn't - hence the conflicting comments. Could be wrong though.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 15:37

@ Pat: well, that goes to prove that I was definitely wrong about Amarok. Very nice find, thanks a lot. :cool: You know what a really funny thing is? Tubular Bells II (the actual album) doesn't really sound like Amarok, which sounds a bit like an Ommadawn II, while TBII sounds like TB (but better :D). I wonder what would've happened if Amarok had really come out as TBII. Probably it wouldn't have been a fan favourite at all.

@ Highlander: if that is really the case, then it means that Platinum has a good chance of being ruined by a bad (read: cranked-up loud) remastering job, while QE2 hasn't any, being the (very good, as far as I remember) remaster from 2000. That's more good news from me, as I always liked the latter album more than the former. I like most of "Platinum", the title track, and of course I love "Sally"  outside of the album :D, but Platinum pretty much stops there for me. On the other hand, QE2 is one of the very few MO records that I always play from beginning to end. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 15:42

Quote (Highlander @ June 21 2012, 16:12)
Having re-read that I suspect that Platinum is a 2012 remaster and that QE2 isn't - hence the conflicting comments. Could be wrong though.

I read it as Mike explaining that because the multitracks for these two albums suffered a similar fate to the Incantations, no remixes were possible. As Incantations was remastered, there's no reason why the same isn't true of QE2 and Platinum.
I'd guess 'Shiva' would be remixed from the multitrack tapes that remain, similar to 'Diana' or 'Hiawatha'.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 15:58

@ Korgscrew: to this day I still play the quad mix of Ommadawn from Boxed through the Dolby Pro decoder on my Pioneer DVD amp, and it sounds splendid. :cool: Exposed also does. I honestly can't see what all this fuss over the quad thing is all about. To me it sounds nice on Oldfield releases, but it also sounds terribly outdated on other releases of the time (e.g. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple). Maybe it's because they were not Virgin? :D I've also got the quad mix of TB, including the airplane, on a very old picture disc LP. I still haven't managed to digitalize it in order to play it through my DVD amp...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net