Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 07 2012, 07:49

Just recieved email from Universal... Order delayed until 30th  :(
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 07 2012, 08:52

Yeah, it's important not to confuse the finished multitrack with the finished mixes, and the mastered version ready for duplication.

Where stuff has been remastered, they've just gone back to the mixes from the studio and applied different processing before the duplication stage.

Generally the record label keeps the finished masters (they have to, so they can re-press things) and might have the mixes as well. Any b-sides, etc., have to be mastered too so they also have those.

Where multitracks are on tape (analogue or digital) they might be kept at the studio they were recorded at or given to the artist. Most artists don't have space to store multitrack tape properly with temperature and humidity controls, so I think lots of multitracks are handled by the record label on behalf of the artist. The label can arrange to have the tapes stored, they pay for it and charge the artist for the service.

What's going to be interesting in the next few years are when artists go to pull removable hard drives (or other digital media) from their media stores to remix/ remaster and they'll find out that either the disc doesn't work any more, or the files won't open unless you can find an old computer that still will open them.

Record labels will have safety copies and a backup strategy, but I'd imagine that most artists storing their own mutitracks might not be quite as careful about this. Some material is simply going to be inaccessible.

(sorry for the essay! I did my degree dissertation on storing audio media)
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 07 2012, 09:21

Sorry, Ugo and Milamber - that was me :/

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ July 06 2012, 13:02)
Unwelcome observation to follow - those of you with a nervous disposition may wish to look away...  A couple of weeks speculating?   Amazon UK's release date for Two Sides has slipped to July 30th.  The others still clinging on to the 23rd...

Unfortunately I failed to turn round three times, spit and leave the theatre!!!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 07 2012, 10:39

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 07 2012, 00:43)
He'd only need a basic mono copy of those to act as a reminder of the tunes, though...and he does write things down. If they were tunes he particularly liked, he might even have just kept them in his head.

Well, yes, of course he does write things down - the interior of the Amarok booklet is ample proof of that. But still I think that he'd need a tape support of some kind (yes, it may very well have been just a copy) to record a note-perfect version of a tune he did 22 years before. I don't think he could have just kept the tune in his head... to keep a tune you improvised in 1968 inside your head and then pull out a note-perfect rendition of it 22 years later, you either have to be an extremely good musician and composer [which Mike undoubtly is, but still...], or you have to be Pico of Mirandola. :D Amarok also includes some sections from Mike's TB demos, and of course he definitely still has those tapes.
Anyway, I think that the whole thing of missing master tapes is only important as far as an artist really wants to remix the material, as opposed to just remaster it, because I think you can definitely pull very good material for remastering from a good CD release. [One guy, in a not-so-distant past, tried to remix a song from a CD version of it - he failed miserably. :D]. I honestly don't think that any of the really devoted Mike Oldfield fans who write on this board would actually like him to remix anything from FMO onwards. [OK, there's still that huge question-mark of a 5.1 mix of Amarok, but that's another thing... :)] I think we would all like cleaner, sharper, crisper versions of those 80s releases - maybe bringing them back to the warmth of their vinyl versions. [Yes, I know, with CDs this is nearly impossible, but still... :)] But doing this only takes a good remaster, not a remix. So... do missing master tapes really matter? Yes? No? As someone said, only time will tell. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 07 2012, 17:09

Quote (Ugo @ July 07 2012, 10:39)
Well, yes, of course he does write things down - the interior of the Amarok booklet is ample proof of that. But still I think that he'd need a tape support of some kind (yes, it may very well have been just a copy) to record a note-perfect version of a tune he did 22 years before. I don't think he could have just kept the tune in his head... to keep a tune you improvised in 1968 inside your head and then pull out a note-perfect rendition of it 22 years later, you either have to be an extremely good musician and composer [which Mike undoubtly is, but still...], or you have to be Pico of Mirandola. :

I think you're wrong there, but I can only speak for myself. If I write a piece that gets pass the "idea" stage I almost never forget how to play it. I did demos in the late 80s that I haven't heard since and I still remember all the notes and the instruments used. And I'm not a remarkable musician at all.
But on the other hand I never write music down, and it seems to me that people who read and write notation who seem to be more prone to forget about music they have played or written.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
alejandra Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 18:14

Quote (Ugo @ July 06 2012, 17:58)
Quote (Pat Gleeson @ July 06 2012, 18:48)
A similar thing happened to Pink Floyd ...

[sorry for the off-topic...]

@ Pat: yes. That's why PF's albums keep on being re-released in remastered editions (every new one worse than the other, IMHO! :D), but no-one's ever dreamed about remixing them - the only thing that's ever been done to them is the 5.1 mixes by James Guthrie for the Immersion editions of the Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall albums. Some of these mixes are very nice, one (The Wall) is ugly - always IMHO. :

So ugly in fact that it doesn't even sound at all, maybe only in your parallel universe where a 5.1 mix of The Wall has been released...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 18:33

@ alejandra: on the DVD included within the Immersion box set of The Wall, there are two songs - a live version of "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" and the promo video for "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" - which were remixed in 5.1 by James Guthrie. He did a nice job on the other two Immersion boxes, but those two mixes are just ugly, IMHO. :)  Also, I think that the 2011 remaster of the album itself, also by James Guthrie, is badly done as well. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 05:04

That's certainly not a 5.1 mix of "The Wall". By the way, Guthrie is apparently planning to create a multichannel mix of the album (all of it) in the future.
Profile PM 
ChristopherM Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 19:00

A word of warning.  The 6-CD set is unlikely to contain true vinyl replica sleeves.

I know that Universal Music has announced that the box will contain "cardboard 'mini LP' sleeves".  However, the company promised exactly the same thing for the Cure's recent "Classic Album Selection" boxset.  In fact, what we got was a good value collection of CDs, but not in vinyl replica packaging.

Universal actually released the Cure CDs in rectangular - not square - cardboard sleeves (the official picture shown on Amazon etc is distorted to make them look square).  In addition each sleeve was a gatefold, regardless of the original vinyl sleeve format, and the track listing on the reverse of each sleeve was numbered for a CD and not a two-sided vinyl album.

In short, if Universal use the same approach for the MO boxset, then the "cardboard 'mini LP' sleeves" will not match the quality or format of the vinyl replica sleeves published in Japan.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 05:12

Platinum Deluxe Edition is already available on Spotify.... Odd....
Profile PM 
IrvingProg Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 11:10

Indeed it is Reena - thanks for the heads up.   Wonder why it's been released on Spotify ahead of the "official" release date of the CDs?   No sign of QE2 as yet but Two Sides has around half of the album available.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to the Platinum Live Studio Session - interesting!
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 12:24

Quote (IrvingProg @ July 24 2012, 12:10)
Indeed it is Reena - thanks for the heads up.   Wonder why it's been released on Spotify ahead of the "official" release date of the CDs?  

I guess they are going by the original release date of the 23rd. I also got an email saying that my limited edition LPs were shipped on the 23rd. I'm curious to see if its true though!

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 13:01

The North Star remix is lovely, definite highlight. Its a pity the male vocals in the climax sound like software vocals ala Night and Shade. Its a pretty epic remix of it though.

Some great bass playing in the Platinum live studio session too.

The version of Platinum live from Wembley in 1980 is utter superb, never heard that before. Really well arranged and recorded.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 16:31

Platinum Live at Wembley 1980 is fantastic!

:cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 16:32

Quote (TOBY @ July 24 2012, 19:01)
The North Star remix is lovely, definite highlight. Its a pity the male vocals in the climax sound like software vocals ala Night and Shade. Its a pretty epic remix of it though.

The version of Platinum live from Wembley in 1980 is utter superb, never heard that before. Really well arranged and recorded.

I agree, the remix especially caught my attention very well... Loved it.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 16:11

Yes, listening to Spotify too! North Star is indeed amazing: the beginning now sounds closer to the original of Philip Glass imho.

Strange that some people here on the forum were notified that their order has been delayed. I received an email a couple of days ago from Universal that my order is on the way.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 16:26

Can't find it on Spotify. What should I look for? Might be because I'm in Germany though.

EDIT: just seen the other post with the link :D

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 06:08

Blue and white vinyls arrived today!

It is written "New 2012 Stereo Remasters"

I thought they are made from the 2000 version?

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 11:30

I received both cd's too today! Same as Incantantions edition: the grey ribbon which says "DELUXE EDITION" can be removed from the packaging.

Odd thing: I received the Platinum vinyl but the QE2 vinyl was delivered by somebody else who left a note that it will be delivered tomorrow.

BUT..... my Platinum vinyl is slightly damaged!! AAAARGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! A small bend with slight scuffing. I instantly emailed Universal about this. Hopefully they can come with a solution.

Oh, and the number is 0009 / 1000.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 12:44

Quote (TOBY @ July 24 2012, 13:01)

North Star is one of my alltime favorite track of MO also it is a cover and I'm a little bit disappointed by the new treatment.  It has its monents but I don't like the way it is mixed and arranged as it sounds slightly unprofessional and inconsequential :-(
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net