Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Flying Start or taurus II ?, They're the same melody right?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 04:18

For about a month I've had Taurus II stuck in my head. If nothing else is going on up there this tune comes along to fill the gap so you can imagine it happens quite a lot. It's the bit where the uilean pipes kick in. At some point I realised it's practically the same melody as the verse of Flying Start. If you sing those words and melody and think of that part in Taurus II they merge together!

Anyone else noticed this?
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 04:47

Now that you mention it they do share a lot of similarities I must admit.Can`t say I`ve ever noticed it before,and I can`t see it mentioned here.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 05:38

Not seen that page before. Another one I've seen mentioned is that the opening riff of Incantations part 3 is a rework of the main theme from Ommadawn, two very different pieces of music! I'd never have noticed if that hadn't been pointed out to me.

I think it's fascinating how a melody can be reworked to create so many different pieces. Infact I think it's interesting to see all of Mike's work as one long concerto with common resurgent themes. Music of The Spheres makes a lot of sense to me with that perspective.

Maybe one day I'll sit down and listen to everyting in chronological order like how Alan Partridge attempts to watch all the Bonds!
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 08:59

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Oct. 23 2008, 04:18)
For about a month I've had Taurus II stuck in my head. If nothing else is going on up there this tune comes along to fill the gap so you can imagine it happens quite a lot. It's the bit where the uilean pipes kick in. At some point I realised it's practically the same melody as the verse of Flying Start. If you sing those words and melody and think of that part in Taurus II they merge together!

Anyone else noticed this?

I hadn't noticed this, but the two pieces are among my favourite MO pieces (actually, Taurus II is my all-time favourite MO piece), so maybe it's not surprising!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 09:04

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Oct. 23 2008, 05:38)
Not seen that page before. Another one I've seen mentioned is that the opening riff of Incantations part 3 is a rework of the main theme from Ommadawn, two very different pieces of music!

Another one I've noticed several times (I'd have to listen to both pieces again to get precise times): one of the melodies from the first few minutes of "Crises" is reworked in "Music from the Balcony".
Profile PM 
4 replies since Oct. 23 2008, 04:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net