[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your Theme Tune< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 17:48

Quote (Syd B @ Jan. 05 2011, 20:45)
@Nightspore - You've never heard of Atlas Shrugged!? So you've never heard of Ayn Rand!? You have a degree in English and a Doctorate in Philosophy, correct? There's something wrong with this picture.

Nothing wrong with that picture. She's known in the US, not so much elsewhere. Anyways, she was evil. :D

My theme tune for today (and yesterday) is Inner Child, played with a trumpet instead of female voice. It comes with a steady tango pulse and wild buzzing snare drums. I call it the Inner Man.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 17:55

Quote (Syd B @ Jan. 05 2011, 14:45)
@Nightspore - You've never heard of Atlas Shrugged!? So you've never heard of Ayn Rand!? You have a degree in English and a Doctorate in Philosophy, correct? There's something wrong with this picture.

@Sir Mustapha - Your assertion that "most" people think Ayn Rand's books are a pile of shit is incorrect. Personally, I find her books boring but the ideas expressed within them fascinating. I am not an Objectivist but I agree with her ideas more than I disagree.

Not really, Syd.  Best-selling authors certainly aren't taught in unis (at least in Australia) just because they're best-selling; if they're taught at all it's mainly as a way of understanding the society that produced them. I've heard of Ayn Rand, but have never read her works. I've never read L Ron Hubbard either, and he would seem to be a parallel kind of author.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 18:18

what makes society think particular works are literary[QUOTE]

Well, can u answer that then?

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 18:21

Quote (HR lover @ Jan. 05 2011, 18:18)
what makes society think particular works are literary[QUOTE]

Well, can u answer that then?

That's the key question, HR - but universities generally devote years to answering it! They come up with answers, but others disagree, and so the whole academic industry makes money. But I'm becoming cynical now!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 18:33

@ Syd & Nightspore: I also have a degree in English Language and Literature, I am a teacher of English and a near-professional translator. Yet the only-ever time I've heard (or better: seen) the name Ayn Rand was when The Fountainhead was mentioned by a comically dirty character in the Dirty Dancing movie as a book that Baby should read. Judging from the context of that scene, I had assumed that The Fountainhead was some sort of dirty book. :D From what I've been able to read on Wikipedia it's not, but I see it's got strong political overtones, just like the writer herself - so none of them are really my cup of tea. :) Anyway, I think that being familiar with a writer or a writer's education has nothing to do with someone's education; it has much more to do with the writer's ability to make himself or herself known, or, in other words, with the quality of his/her work. There are old peasants and farmers in Tuscany who are so uneducated that they can't even write out their own name, yet they can recite Dante's Divine Comedy from start to finish as they know the entirety of it by heart. And they know what it means.

Back on topic, I think this is becoming slightly in danger (oh, what a danger!! :laugh:) of merging or meshing with "What are you playing this very second?" because it is about being in a particular mood, is it? It's about the way you are feeling right now and what sort of music may go along with it. Anyway, as down here it's still officially Christmas time (the last day of vacation is tomorrow) I happened to catch a Chrismas-themed but IMHO very un-Christmas-ish song on the radio a couple of days ago, and it stuck in my head. You can clearly hear that it was made especially for Coca-Cola :D, but what the heck, I think it's really good. I do have the CD of it, it's a "special edition" of an already-released album. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kisZciB922M

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 04:49

In Holland we have literatuur and lectuur, literatuur is literature.
Literatuur is the more sophisticated, distinguished type of books whereas lectuur is the kind of cheap romance like books you can buy in the supermarket. I have been taught that literature is more profound and where the characters are described more, otherwise they are flat characters making them lectuur. Unfortunately Dutch books are not sophisticated at all regarding lectuur or literatuur whatsoever. I find the Dutch language often crude and cold, whereas I portray the English language as smooth and warm. The themes Dutch books have are not my cup of tea. Most of the books are about murder or drama. The books are therefore cheap and only aimed to entertain IMO. Other books are mostly sex-oriented books; for instance Turks Fruit translated as Turkish Delight ( you may have seen the movie) I also find those books cheap.  By the way, can someone tell me how to quote?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 06:35

Quote (HR lover @ Jan. 06 2011, 04:49)
In Holland we have literatuur and lectuur, literatuur is literature.
Literatuur is the more sophisticated, distinguished type of books whereas lectuur is the kind of cheap romance like books you can buy in the supermarket. I have been taught that literature is more profound and where the characters are described more, otherwise they are flat characters making them lectuur. Unfortunately Dutch books are not sophisticated at all regarding lectuur or literatuur whatsoever. I find the Dutch language often crude and cold, whereas I portray the English language as smooth and warm. The themes Dutch books have are not my cup of tea. Most of the books are about murder or drama. The books are therefore cheap and only aimed to entertain IMO. Other books are mostly sex-oriented books; for instance Turks Fruit translated as Turkish Delight ( you may have seen the movie) I also find those books cheap.  By the way, can someone tell me how to quote?

It's quite interesting the way certain nations excel in some arts but not others - the Dutch, of course, absolutely ruled the world with painting.

It's fashionable in some academic circles to blur the difference between your "literatuur" and "lectuur", saying that it all comes down to the way the book is read - reading conventions. Of course, arguing like that means academics have a lot to say (and therefore can be argued to be self-serving!;)

Dutch looks a fun language. I wish more words in English had the sequence "uu"!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 10:06

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 05 2011, 17:55)
Not really, Syd.  Best-selling authors certainly aren't taught in unis (at least in Australia) just because they're best-selling; if they're taught at all it's mainly as a way of understanding the society that produced them. I've heard of Ayn Rand, but have never read her works. I've never read L Ron Hubbard either, and he would seem to be a parallel kind of author.

Ok. I was not aware that Ayn Rand's popularity was a US phenomenon. And like I said in my last post, her books in and of themselves are rather boring (she has an annoying habit of interrupting the story mid-flow to make incredibly long political rants; by the time they're over you've forgotten what was happening in the story :D). The only one I would recommend as a work of fiction is the one that most critics seem to find inferior: Anthem (Yes, the Rush song is named after it).

PS. Not sure what you mean by "parallel kind of author", but L Ron Hubbard and Ayn Rand are nothing alike.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 10:09

Quote (HR lover @ Jan. 06 2011, 04:49)
By the way, can someone tell me how to quote?

Find the post you want to quote from. There should be a "Quote" button on the upper right corner of it. :)
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 13:52

Yes nightspore, I know there were produced masses of paintings in Holland in the 17th century (our golden age which actually didn't last 100 years because it was from 1585-1672 I think).

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 20:49

Quote (Syd B @ Jan. 06 2011, 10:06)
PS. Not sure what you mean by "parallel kind of author", but L Ron Hubbard and Ayn Rand are nothing alike.

Again, I haven't read either of them, but from a look at sites like Wikipedia it appears they are alike in that they both presented fairly simplistic philosophical ideas in a popular fictional form.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 18:48

I'm going to get pretentious and say that, if I want to have a "theme song" of my own, I'd choose Strange Meadow Lark, by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUEiUOCLeI

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 20:07

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 11 2011, 18:48)
I'm going to get pretentious and say that, if I want to have a "theme song" of my own, I'd choose Strange Meadow Lark, by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

What about this piece fits your personality, Sir M?
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 03:51

I got it now. I think my theme tune is Taurus 1.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 05:58

Quote (HR lover @ Jan. 12 2011, 17:51)
I got it now. I think my theme tune is Taurus 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F5QcxNVFr8
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 07:55

Those solos always put a smile in my face. The background singers look pretty slutty by the way.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 10:34

Quote (HR lover @ Jan. 12 2011, 07:55)
The background singers look pretty slutty by the way.

It was the '80s! That's nothin'.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 13:31

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 11 2011, 20:07)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 11 2011, 18:48)

What about this piece fits your personality, Sir M?

I think it's mainly the meandering, floating feel of the introductory piano part that sort of resonates with the way I sometimes let my thoughts meander lightly, carelessly, and the light and playful nature of the middle portion. Of course my more bitter side is not well represented in it, but I don't think I have found a song cynical enough to do that job. [:)]

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 14:55

Dennis Leary perhaps Sir M :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 21:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 12 2011, 13:31)
I sometimes let my thoughts meander lightly, carelessly,

Pah! Your thoughts are like an Exocet missile! ("I mean that in a caring, constructive way" - Dame Edna)  :laugh:
Profile PM 
82 replies since Dec. 27 2010, 04:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net