Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: You will love Cook's Tune :-)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 09 2008, 02:01

Quote (Alan D @ Jan. 08 2008, 16:06)
I can't help finding the sound of a piano quite unpleasant, most of the time

For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with me for finding the sound of a piano grating to my ears. How strange that I am not bothered by it in MO's music. For example, "Daydream" has a running piano line - sometimes in the foreground and other times in the background - but at no time did I wish it weren't there. In fact, I adore "Daydream" to bits. Alternatively, I love quite a few works by Saint-Saens, but I won't listen to his piano pieces, and - dare I say - the pianos almost ruin "Carnival of the Animals" even with an orchestra.

So on the one hand, there's In Dulci Jubil Oh! Oh! Oh!

And then, quite differently (pace Ugo), there's Don Alfons Ohhhaaarrrggghhhh!

"Ohhhaaarrrggghhhh!" is evidently an undesirable reaction, but "Oh! Oh! Oh!", to my way of thinking, is complimentary - conjuring up all sorts of yummy goodness. So now I'm confused - do you like "In Dulci Jubilo" or don't you??

And I've just noticed, Alan, that my previous post, while intended as good-humored ribbing, could have come across as presumptuous. My apologies if it did.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2008, 04:03

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 09 2008, 07:01)
For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with me for finding the sound of a piano grating to my ears. How strange that I am not bothered by it in MO's music.

Sometimes I am, but by no means always. Usually in Mike the piano is one instrument among many, which is easier to cope with. The worst instances are things like Beethoven's sonatas, where the loud bits feel like someone is banging the side of my head with a mallet. It's hopeless for me to try to appreciate it as music under those conditions.

but "Oh! Oh! Oh!", to my way of thinking, is complimentary - conjuring up all sorts of yummy goodness. So now I'm confused - do you like "In Dulci Jubilo" or don't you??

The 'Oh! Oh! Oh!'s I had in mind are the sort you might involuntarily exclaim while under the dentist's drill without anaesthetic.

my previous post, while intended as good-humored ribbing, could have come across as presumptuous. My apologies if it did.

Never occurred to me - still doesn't on rereading it, either. You're just being paranoid, as all we misunderstood good-humoured ribbers tend to be.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2008, 06:59

Quote (Sentinel101 @ Oct. 19 2005, 14:28)
I just heard Cook's Tune on my sound system and it's really great. Probably the best folky thing I've heard from Mike for a loooooong time. It's one of these irish pieces which make you whistling and whipping your feet.

It's simply a new Sailor's Hornpipe !

More of that, Mike !!!

Yeah u can swap Sailors Hornpipe with Cooks Tune at end of TB1 either gives same effect lol... soon be enough Material for a MO Album of Sea Songs & Shanties lol... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2008, 14:39

Quote (3Wheeler @ Jan. 09 2008, 06:59)
Yeah u can swap Sailors Hornpipe with Cooks Tune at end of TB1 either gives same effect lol... soon be enough Material for a MO Album of Sea Songs & Shanties lol... :cool:

I like that idea, and it isn't all that improbable. I mean, Mike had mentioned the possibility of a sailing/ocean inspired work, during his MOTS promotion, hadn't he? The thing is, I strongly associate the phrase "sea songs & shanties" with Popeye the Sailor Man.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
83 replies since Oct. 19 2005, 14:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net