Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: You will love Cook's Tune :-)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 15:05

It seems sad to add a dissenting voice at the party, because it's been so nice to read all the enthusiastic comments, but ... gosh, I really hate this Cook's tune thing - far more than anything on L&S. It goes right back to that Blue Peter school of music-making that I just can't bear - that horrible tune, going round and round my head and ears as if it will never stop. Ooohhh... makes me shudder to remember it. Just one hearing is enough for me.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 15:08

I hope you won't need therapy... ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Down Under Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 15:20

"For those who found the link didn't work: just click on it and don't follow their advice to 'save it'..." - that doesn't result in being able to save or listen to the track either.  Any other suggestions?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 16:17

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 04 2005, 21:05)
Just one hearing is enough for me.

I'm very surprised to read your lines as I thought you loved the folk melodies just as much as I did. AFAIR you mentioned the importance of these folk elements in Mike's works more than once, so I'm quite puzzled why your taste and these kind of music (Blue Peter, In Dulci Jubilo, Polka, Wrekorder Wrondo, Portsmouth, Mike's Reel) aren't in perfect harmony.

The only complaint I could make towards Cook's Tune is the drum track. It just doesn't fit there IMHO. And that belltree sound again... But anyway this track represents one of my favourite kind of music by Mike.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 16:57

Quote (EeToN @ Nov. 04 2005, 21:17)
you mentioned the importance of these folk elements in Mike's works more than once, so I'm quite puzzled why your taste and these kind of music (Blue Peter, In Dulci Jubilo, Polka, Wrekorder Wrondo, Portsmouth, Mike's Reel) aren't in perfect harmony.

Yes, you're absolutely right about my love of the folk elements - but it's true that the list of pieces you give there are the ones that drive me crazy.

The folk elements that I love in Mike's music are the ones that somehow infuse unobtrusively into much of what he writes: in Ommadawn, for example, there are continual shifts and changes that seem to call to mind certain folk-song cadences. My musical knowledge is too poor to be able to analyse them - but I feel their presence almost all the time. Vaughan Williams's music has the same kind of quality.

It's not the folkiness of Cook's tune, Blue Peter etc. that I dislike - but the continual repetitive hammering of the simple tune, whether folky or not. It's the Oldfield treatment, not the folkiness, that's the problem for me.

Does that seem more consistent with what I've said before? The folk music roots are indeed part of the reason why I love Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge - but it's not at all the same kind of treatment as he gives Portsmouth. I don't think there's much I can do about it - I think it's physiological, and I'm stuck with it.

Incidentally, I don't experience this problem with your music at all, EeTon. You'll recall how much I enjoy your Oclamoorie, perhaps?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 18:03

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 04 2005, 22:57)
Incidentally, I don't experience this problem with your music at all, EeTon. You'll recall how much I enjoy your Oclamoorie, perhaps?

Indeed. And even if I see your points regarding Mike's Cook's Tune-like tracks, I absolutely don't understand how you could enjoy Oclamoorie then. :) It was totally influenced by them. I thought that if someone likes Mike's similar tracks then maybe they could enjoy also Oclamoorie but not the other way round. :)

I wonder if you could enjoy Paul Mounsey's track called Nahoo - it's quite similar melodically and structurally.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 19:51

Personally, I find Cook's tune almost hilarious; that tune just seems so cheerful and happy to me. Simple fun yes, but fun all the same.

Yes Alan, I am surprised to read the depth of your dislike for these kind of pieces. It goes to show that a person's taste in music isn't completely logical. It's impossable to say "you like this piece of music therefore you must like this one". Not even I understand why I like some tracks but don't like others.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 04:18

Quote (EeToN @ Nov. 04 2005, 23:03)
even if I see your points regarding Mike's Cook's Tune-like tracks, I absolutely don't understand how you could enjoy Oclamoorie then. :) It was totally influenced by them.

Well, I'm playing Oclamoorie as I write this, delighted with it for maybe the twentieth time of listening, so there you go.

I think, as I said, it's probably a physiological thing and quite beyond my control. There's something about the repetitive squeaky/pipey "I-will-be-jolly" flutiness of the Portsmouth/BluePeter type of material that has the same effect on me as someone scraping their fingernails down the wall.

As Alex says, sometimes there's just no explaining the subjective effect that some music has. These kind of conflicting differences occur everywhere. Just look at the heated debate there's been about TB1 and TB2003. Those differences of opinion are probably just as inexplicable as my dislike of Blue Peter. Even when we try to articulate them, there's no way we can compare the subjective importance of, say, my unease with the rubbery bass sounds of TB1, against Korgscrew's unease with excessive use of compression on TB2003.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 07:48

I have to say that I perfectly understand all of the points of view above... Alan's [Mike is of course the recognized king of repetitive-yet-compelling music, but sometimes that repetitiveness may really nag you... :D] EeToN's and Raven's (obviously you cannot fix any kinds of rules with tastes in music). On my own side, I'm a fan of contemporary versions/interpretations of folky tunes, and that's why I love Blackmore's Night among others. :) I admit that Mike's folky stuff may not be his best stuff, but all the same I find myself kind-of-dancing to Cook's Tune in exactly the same way as I kind-of-danced to Mike's Reel some years ago. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 09:07

Quote (EeToN @ Nov. 04 2005, 23:03)
Oclamoorie ... was totally influenced by them. I thought that if someone likes Mike's similar tracks then maybe they could enjoy also Oclamoorie but not the other way round. :)

I love Bob Dylan - but very much don't want to listen to the people who most influenced him, like Blind Wille McTell, and Woody Guthrie - despite the fact that I can see that they did indeed have an influence. So with Oclamoorie - yes, I can see Mike's influence; but Oclamoorie is only influenced by Mike - it isn't in any sense a copy, and doesn't have the specific features that drive me crazy.

@ Ugo
On my own side, I'm a fan of contemporary versions/interpretations of folky tunes

Same for me. I can't get enough of Steeleye Span's reworkings of folk material - but even there, sometimes a particularly irritating jig or reel will have me reaching for the skip button.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 09:36

Ive tried various Permutations but Still cannt get this
Cooks Tune MP3  to Download  grrr lol   Im on Dial up
which dont help I guess... But keep getting Blocked after
pressing Save to Files ... It says its a Album Tk on that
German site as well which deepens the Mystery.. Also
"Lyrics  Video" forthcoming on the Other 1 ... If its that
good why ainnt it on the L&S cd... Maybe its gonna be
a Single DVD for release with Surfing  !! Well maybe  :D
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 11:12

Just to clarify the drum loop is the same one used in Magellan.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 05:34

these bonus tracks just keep getting better :)  so this Cook's Tune is bonus track that is not on any album, this is good too :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 09:37

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 05 2005, 12:48)
but all the same I find myself kind-of-dancing to Cook's Tune in exactly the same way as I kind-of-danced to Mike's Reel some years ago. :)

Cook's Tune,  I love it :)  :D .  I haven't posted here as I'm currently off line at home until Thursday.  I can't wait to here Cook's Tune again,  as I believe I need to be connected to Real Player to hear it, roll on Thursday.

My first impressions made me think of the similarity between Cook's Tune and In Dulci Jubilo/Portsmouth.  Maybe as a kid in the 70's I loved IDJ and Portsmouth (I didn't know these were by Mike at the time :O ), I can't help but to dance around upon hearing these tracks, they just make me want to dance.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is this "Mike's Reel " track, I haven't heard of it.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 11:50

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Nov. 06 2005, 15:37)
Please excuse my ignorance but what is this "Mike's Reel " track, I haven't heard of it.

It was a b-side of (one of) the Women of Ireland CD-single(s). It's a folky track with accordions and mandolin, very very similar in spirit and mood to Cook's Tune. :) I think it's not easy to find (Arrian's site, which used to host it, is now offline), but if you'd like to hear it, please PM me. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 18:02

So... where can I legally get this? I'm really not going to buy a DRM'd track, so in case I can't get it pure, it'll have to be... an alternative download.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 18:05

That's precicely what I'd like to know!! I can't say I'm fully satisfied with this kind of... deployment methodology.  :/

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 18:18

Kay is a great sharer! :)

I got it from him ;)

Tubularman, do your thang  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 18:24

Yeah... I mean I have a 'questionable' copy, but I'd like to physically own it... and also, have it in full CD quality.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 13 2007, 03:08

"Cook's Tune" makes me want to bounce up and down going 'Wheeeeee!'

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
83 replies since Oct. 19 2005, 14:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net