[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: You will love Cook's Tune :-)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2007, 03:31

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 13 2007, 08:08)
"Cook's Tune" makes me want to bounce up and down going 'Wheeeeee!'

Nice quiz question, there:

"What do Mike Oldfield's 'Cook's Tune', a pogo stick, and a trampoline have in common?"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 14 2007, 02:53

Quote (Alan D @ June 13 2007, 03:31)
"What do Mike Oldfield's 'Cook's Tune', a pogo stick, and a trampoline have in common?"

Hehe. Maybe that'll show up in Trivial Pursuit's 'Tubular' edition? But, I can listen to "Cook's Tune" a lot longer than I can pogo or trampol (?). Actually, I don't recall trying either of those activities, but - at my age - they sound exhausting.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 14 2007, 17:26

They're all bouncy. :D :laugh: :D

EDIT after reading page 3 of the topic: they all make you want to bounce up and down screaming "Wheeeeee"!!" :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 03:13

Congratulations Ugo. Your prize is a specially designed Pogo stick that automatically plays Cook's Tune while you bounce.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 18:26

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe... :laugh: :laugh:

By the way, there was a 60s song that said "Like a rubber ball I'll come bouncin' back to you, bouncy-bouncy". Nothin' to do with Mike or Cook's tune, of course. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 16 2007, 04:54

Quote (Ugo @ June 15 2007, 23:26)
By the way, there was a 60s song that said "Like a rubber ball I'll come bouncin' back to you, bouncy-bouncy".

I remember it well. However, Bobby Vee may have bounced like a rubber ball, but he never said 'Wheeeee' as far as I know. It's a small difference, but important to scholars of the subject.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2008, 22:58

I take it this is an arrangement of a traditional tune? Are there other recordings out there?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2008, 18:04

Quote (Alan D @ June 15 2007, 07:13)
Congratulations Ugo. Your prize is a specially designed Pogo stick that automatically plays Cook's Tune while you bounce.

Can I have a Spacehopper that plays Cooks Tune as I bounce , I love Spacehoppers  :cool: , but for me it has to be an authentic 1970's one ,as can be seen here
http://www.bmagic.org.uk/objects/2000F251

:cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2008, 19:33

@ Sweetpea: I think that Cook's Tune is not an arrangement of a traditional piece, but an original Oldfield composition meant to sound like a traditional piece. ;) Just like "Mike's Reel" from the Voyager era...

@ Andy: I know what that is. It used to be called "Poing" in Italy, but it had a plastic handle insdead of horns. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2008, 00:53

Ah. Original... traditional... original arrangement of a non-original traditional cover... I have a hard time keeping track!

Errr... who is 'Andy'?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2008, 08:24

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 03 2008, 06:53)
Errr... who is 'Andy'?

Andy is olracUK, real name Andy C. :) I like calling people in here by real names rather than nicknames, and if you like, Sweetpea, you can tell me yours too. ;)

My own nick is, of course, my real name. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 03:06

Okay, now I'm even more confused... has olracUK posted in this thread? *suspects she's gone totally blind and blames 'the internet adds six years' thing*

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 03 2008, 08:24)
My own nick is, of course, my real name. :D

Silly me, I've only now realized this! I don't mind sharing my first name - Irene - though I wouldn't want to add any more confusion to my name what with the whole 'Sweatpea' contretemps.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 04:42

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 04 2008, 08:06)
I wouldn't want to add any more confusion to my name what with the whole 'Sweatpea' contretemps.

Congratulations on avoiding the confusion. After all, you could have told us your name was 'Ireane'.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 09:28

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 04 2008, 09:06)
Okay, now I'm even more confused... has olracUK posted in this thread?

Oops... much sillier me!! :D I thought that the Spacehopper remark, above, was by Andy a.k.a. olracUK, when it was really by Galadriel a.k.a. moonchildhippy... so I got not only the wrong person, but also the wrong gender. :laugh: :O But I think I have an explanation for this... I had replied to Andy in another thread, and evidently he was still in the back of my mind...

*stops a moment to think of whether using the Internet is making him even more stupid than he already is...* :D

P.S. It seemed a bit strange to me that Andy didn't post here, as he's one of the most active board members - he posts everywhere.  But I've just re-read the whole topic and he actually didn't. Dang.  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 14:07

you could have told us your name was 'Ireane'

Pooh. I now realize what a missed opportunity that was. I moped over it for a while, but then I played "Cook's Tune" and felt all better!

it was really by Galadriel a.k.a. moonchildhippy

Wait a minute... moonchildhippy's (that 'spacehopper', btw, is possibly one of the scariest looking toys I've ever seen - all those teeth and horns *shudder*) real name is 'Galadriel'??

*turns to MO music for comfort and stability*

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 17:27

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 04 2008, 19:07)
I moped over it for a while, but then I played "Cook's Tune" and felt all better!

I'd just like to say how much I admire the way you steared us back on topic.
Profile PM 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 17:44

At this time of year I like to listen to Tihon Tibor version of Cook's tune.

Gary.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2008, 19:11

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 04 2008, 20:07)
Wait a minute... moonchildhippy's [snip] real name is 'Galadriel'??

If I'm not getting the wrong person again... :D... yes. A very interesting name, I must admit. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2008, 13:33

Rereading the older posts made me realize that Alan D has an intense dislike of several pieces that I find delightful. Whether this is due to an adherence to the highest echelons of good taste or to mere curmudgeonliness, I couldn't say, and I - a tad grudgingly - accepted that it's his right to abhor that which is fun and charming to his heart's content. Then, during a discussion elsewhere on the merits of "Don Aphonso", it occurred to me that perhaps the dislike and dismay I feel for that song is similar to what Alan feels towards "Cook's Tune" and its brethren, and I immediately felt the bond of kinship wrought by shared suffering. So, a toast to Alan and the illogicality of taste.

*goes back to listening to "Polka" on loop*

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2008, 16:06

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 08 2008, 18:33)
Rereading the older posts made me realize that Alan D has an intense dislike of several pieces that I find delightful. Whether this is due to an adherence to the highest echelons of good taste or to mere curmudgeonliness, I couldn't say, and I - a tad grudgingly - accepted that it's his right to abhor that which is fun and charming to his heart's content.

Actually, I suspect the cause is purely physiological, in the same way as I can't help finding the sound of a piano quite unpleasant, most of the time (greatly to my loss). There's a sort of repetitive piping pipsqueakiness about a certain kind of Mike Oldfield tune that is almost painful.  Nothing to do with good taste, nor, I think, curmudgeonliness. More like self-preservation.

So on the one hand, there's In Dulci Jubil Oh! Oh! Oh!

And then, quite differently (pace Ugo), there's Don Alfons Ohhhaaarrrggghhhh!
Profile PM 
83 replies since Oct. 19 2005, 14:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net