Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: You are funny, (very offensive)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 09:42

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 17 2008, 02:18)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Nov. 16 2008, 20:24)
..and all because the Dali Lama would`nt own up to something...
Buddist Temple in Scotland - where is that?

Probably Glenkiln / Tharpaland?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 11:21

Yeah it`s in that kind of area Matt,but I can`t quite remember exactly.I just happened to stumble across it one day about 7/8 years ago whilst driving out from Moffat.Maybe towards the Lowther hills though or Forest of AE.It was set amongst a lot of woodland I remember that.Glenkiln does sound very familiar to me though.

The temple itself was very impressive although smallish.And then there was a coffee shop believe it or not,and a nice little meditative grassy area that had a tree with lots of ribbons tied to it.The best thing though was a rope swing that went over a nearby stream.Just the thought of lots of guys in robes swinging about on that thing and landing in the water really amused me at the time I have to say.Unfortunatly though I never did see any of those guys having a go on it that day.

@Ray your omlette story does kind of put my own cynicism in perspective there.Nice one.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 12:38

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 17 2008, 13:16)
Now that is seriously good.  I just listened to all the Utube videos from these guys.  

Roots is True - so true.

But so is the other stuff they have done.  And the wee guy on the Madolin/ Ukelely - Brilliant.  

They Must be Scottish  (Ha .. Only Joking..)

These guys are Jedi !

Ray

They're Devonian.

I saw Show Of Hands two years ago, at Warwick Arts Centre in Coventry :cool:

Actually Jedi Knight is now supposed to be a recognised religion here in Britain, as so many people  listed Jedi as their religion as such in the 2001 Census :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 20:10

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Nov. 17 2008, 17:38)
Actually Jedi Knight is now supposed to be a recognised religion here in Britain, as so many people  listed Jedi as their religion as such in the 2001 Census :cool: .

I know - That was us!!!!

The concept of Jedi (to me) is the good guys.  Not nesessasarily tied to a religion (to me religion is a hobby).

ie don't steal from other people, be polite , respect things - especially natural things etc.  

Ray   :D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 05:09

I know Jedi means good guys as in fighting the dark forces of Darth Vader, or in the Fellowship of Elves, Hobbits , Men , Wizards, Dwarves coming together to fight the darkness of Sauron.

I was just saying so many people had  put Jedi Knight as their religion on the 2001 Census.

For me "religion" is a word I associate with restriction and control, so I call what I follow my spirituality, which to me is more Pagan, I'd describe myself as a very unorthadox Christian in that I believe in Jesus and he was as Ray puts it Jedi, but I believe that the church is used as a way of control.  Jesus had women serve him as Priests but it wasn't until the early 1990's that the Cof E allowed women vicars.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 07:41

@ MCH: Well, both Jedi and the LotR associations are fictional. I'm not entirely sure that something that's been estabilished only in one or more works of fiction can have the spiritual value of an actual religion.In fact, to me, believing in the values that the Jedis (or Tolkien's Fellowships) believe in is of course a very positive thing, but it's completely different from believing in a religion. Anyway, that's only my own view of it. ;) Then, whether believing in any other values than the ones taught by the so-called major Churches around the world (Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu etc.) is really called "Paganism"... well, I don't know and I honestly don't want to know.

P.S. This thread is becoming the n-th example of the weirdly amazing (and extremely interesting) ease with which discussion topics may be totally turned around, here on the tubular.net forums. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 07:52

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 18 2008, 12:41)
@ MCH: Well, both Jedi and the LotR associations are fictional. I'm not entirely sure that something that's been estabilished only in one or more works of fiction can have the spiritual value of an actual religion.In fact, to me, believing in the values that the Jedis (or Tolkien's Fellowships) believe in is of course a very positive thing, but it's completely different from believing in a religion. Anyway, that's only my own view of it. ;)

I agree.  I didn't intent to suggest that. I am actually saying the opposite.

Anyway  - all getting abit off track.
R

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2008, 05:51

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 15 2008, 17:40)
Yeah, sure. And Scotsmen are stingy, and Dutch people eat frogs, and Poles are stupid, and blacks have rhythm, etc. etc. etc. :laugh: This is not offensive at all - stereotypes are never offensive IMHO.

Actually, if you had an isolated gene-pool, the idea that personality traits, both good and bad, could be survival-related and thus make it into a cultural "type" is not so far-fetched. For example (and I can say this because I have Scottish blood in me) it wouldn't be surprising if frugality really were a Scottish trait, simply because the harsher conditions in Scotland (compared, say, with southern Europe) ages ago meant that those with extravagant personalities don't live long enough to reproduce and thus perpetuate their character-traits.
Profile PM 
27 replies since Nov. 15 2008, 15:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net