Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: YESmusic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Conrad Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 07 2001, 09:50

I think yes have a few songs that are very close to mike´s perfection: Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer... Sometimes i think they are even better.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2001, 15:05

I have been into Yes for a few months now and have so far bought the following albums:

The Yes Album '71
Fragile '71
Close to the Edge '72
Yessongs (live album) '73
Tales From Topographic Oceans '73
Going for the One '77
Tormato '78
The Ladder '99

My copies of TYA, CTTE & TL are on CD, but to save money all the others are second hand vinyl.

As soon as I got Close to the Edge (the first one I bought) they became my favourite band. I agree that their music is a pretty close rival to Mike's work.

Jon Anderson is my favourite singer, Chris Squire is my favourite bass player, Bill Bruford (not in the band right now) is my favourite drummer and Rick Wakeman is one of the best keyboardists I've ever heard. Mike is still my favourite guitarist, but Steve Howe (and later Trevor Rabin) are pretty darn good too.

I'm surprised that their isn't very much discussion about them in here. Just like Mike, Yes have done many complex side-long pieces of music and are masters of prog rock. Both bring incredible depth of emotion to their music and neither are afraid to take their music in new directions often with amazing results.

How I discovered them: I already knew about Jon through In High Places and Shine, and later discovered the Jon & Vangelis track The Friends of Mr. Cairo (I've since bought their first 3 albums - but after getting Yes albums too), so I decided to check out Yes. I got I've Seen All Good People off Napster and thought it was a great classic rock song, then downloaded Close to the Edge. The file I got was incomplete - it only had the first 2 minutes of the 19 minute piece but it absolutely blew me away and was enough to convince me to buy the album when I saw it for $20 at 78records (remastered btw). I've been buying their albums ever since and already know their entire history of line-up changes (a daunting task but not impossible).

Favourite album: Close to the Edge

Favourite songs: Close to the Edge, South Side of the Sky and many many many many more

Favourite line-up: Anderson, Squire, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe... of course!

I hope this enough to stimulate a bit of discussion. I've certainly written quite a lot... I'll stop now.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2001, 14:39

My attempt at stimulating discussion seems to have failed so far, so I'm trying a new strategy.

WRITE SOMETHING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(awaiting replies)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2001, 16:44

Well... I like 'em. I have absolutely nothing at all of 'em, not even on mp3, but I know their music and I like it. smile Especially for Jon's peculiar voice & his way of singing.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2001, 19:05

Silly human, silly human race.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 25 2001, 20:36

Gee...I've set a new personal record...two posts within the same hour!

I saw YES at Taste of Chicago a year ago this past summer, and thought they sounded wonderful. Jon can still hit those notes, and seemed so at peace in his pale yellow, comfortable-looking tunic and baggie pants. Heart of the Sunrise was incredible-- I had never expected to hear it performed live again. I had missed them in St. Louis and felt lucky to be at a convention in Chicago at the same time that they were performing!

One of the concert attendees wrote a review of their TOC performance:
http://www.inil.com/users/mikeycad/Reviews/Yes_7-8-00.html

Strange, perhaps, but I like everything I've heard by YES, even Tomato, though I certainly have favorites. I've been listening to Ladder a lot this week, for some reason.

Whoops, gtg!

M-C

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
KE9 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2001, 11:08

I only got into Yes a few months back, but I have all the albums between Fragile and Drama. I listened to 90215 in a 2nd-hand shop at the listening decks, though, and didn't like their newer style much. Close To The Edge is one incredible track, Roundabout is really cool and there's some good songs on all the albums I got.

I'm not going to make it to see them on tour, though, much as the concept of seeing them with a full orchestra appeals. The cost of a ticket is too much for me, most of my other favourite bands I pay less than £20 to see. And I've still got the Rammstein gig from the weekend fresh in my mind (yes, my music tastes are everywhere these days)
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 05 2001, 23:21

I’ve never seen them live myself, but I did manage to win a couple of tickets to see Wakeman about 11 years ago. At the time I didn’t know much about them or him, but hey free tickets to a gig I’m not fussy. The fact that he stopped after almost every tune and did a bit of stand-up comedy (curry jokes aplenty for some reason) did nothing to detract for the quality of the show. I quite enjoyed it and have since acquired a fair collection of Yes-Wakeman material.

I’d have to say I prefer Wakeman to Yes, But its definitely a close call. I have to confess to thinking Tomato a good listen myself.
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2002, 18:06

Just a quickie. I've been into Yes for twenty years now and I've got to say that Gates of Delerium and Soundchaser from Relayer are far and away, the finest pieces of music that Yes have ever released. I don't know what puts people off Relayer, unless it's the fact that Patrick Moraz is on keyboards, not Wakeman. If you like Yes and have not heard Relayer, then I urge you to listen. You will not be disappointed! Moraz's keyboards are blistering and reminiscent of his work with Refugee.

Close to the Edge comes a close second by the way!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2002, 01:34

i really love yes. thir best song is Heart of the Sunrise off their album Fragile. I recently got the Keys to Acsention DVD of theirs and its wicked. the tracklsiting is:

Siberian Khatru
Close to the Edge
I've seen all good people
Time and a word
And you and I
The revealing science of god
Going for the one
Turn of the century
America
Onwards
Awaken
Roundabout
Starship trooper

i think they are as good as MO because their songs are as long. Tales from Topographic Oceans is the same as Incantations. 2 record set with each of the 4 songs taking up one side.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2002, 02:48

Yes rocks, especially that DVD. Pity is dosen't have Heart of the Sunrise on it from Fragile.
I want Mike to work with Yes, or even just Rick Wakeman. Rick Wakeman rocks.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2002, 08:23

Has anyone else heard the two 'Keys To Ascension' CDs? Some new studio tracks (with Wakeman on keys) were released alongside live stuff from gigs in the States.

Some of the new studio stuff is by far the best they have releasd in the last 15 years - 'Mind drive' and 'That, that is' compare very well with their seventies music - both tracks clocking in at around 20 minutes in length. Of course, those two tracks alone would have constituted a new Yes album before CDs arrived on the scene!

Highly recommended!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 05 2002, 00:17

I've got: Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, 90215, Tormato, Relayer, Going for the One, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Yessongs and Yesterdays. Most are on Vinyl. These albums rock, my favourites are Fragile, Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans. My favourite line-up is Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford. I haven't heard any of their latest material, but I want to!

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 05 2002, 22:51

Has anyone listened to Magnification, released last year? I find some interesting stuff about it...the orchestration, Jon's voice is in great form, Chris Squire sings...but I sit here not having listened to it for several weeks and am hard-pressed to think of anything memorable about it. As soon as I throw it on (ok...place it carefully in the CD player), I know that I'll be happy to be listening to it, though.

BTW, I checked out from the library the 1999 2nd edition of Music Hound Rock: The Essential Album Guide / edited by Gary Graff and Daniel Durchholz (ISBN 1578590612), and am dismayed at the inaccuracy and tone Re: Mike's listing. It's a concern because hundreds of libraries own it and may use it as a music collection development tool (as well as library users). I'll eventually post the entire entry somewhere in Mike-cyberspace.

Why am I mentioning the listing here? Because the author of the entry, Billy Manes, states that Mozart and Yes were Mike's two influences. ???

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 06 2002, 06:56

I want to get Magnification, it sounds really good.

One aspect of Yes that I enjoy are the album covers by Roger Dean. Who else thinks that Mike should use some of his work as album covers?

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 05:58

Gee I post here a lot! I guess I like Yes a hell of a lot, sometimes even more than Mike, which is what this post is about.

Having recently (yesterday evening) got a DVD on Steve Howe, I can't decide my favourite guitarist: Steve Howe or Mike Oldfield? Sure, Mike makes the better music, and is a briliant multi-instrumentalist, so he will remain my favourite artist (along with Yes), but Steve Howe's guitaring is excellent. I can't decide, they're both too good.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 19:49

Owner of a lonley heart is the only song I know...this song can be found on an album called:"The- best- Rock-album-in-the- world- of -all- times- ever -and -ever- and- ever!!!"
Or was it another "Gold collection" called: "Golden greatest and the ultimate Gold collection of one of the greatest Rock bands ever"?  :zzz:
Profile PM 
16 replies since Oct. 07 2001, 09:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net