Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Would it be possible?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2000, 19:41

The Sonic VR team is developping their own software for the project, which probably explains why it will run only on PC. But maybe it's still possible to do a Mac version. (Unfortunately, if it was not planned at the beginning, it might be too late now to have a Mac version ready for September.)

Also, the projec t is probably too complex to use the emerging cross-platform Internet 3D technologies. Maybe it would have been a good solution in one year or so from now.

Anyway, I want it on my Mac G4!!! To find programmers who would do the job it is not a problem...
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2000, 13:47

I wonder if this won't end up similiar to The Songs of Distant Earth interactive. I suggest (myself being a PC user) that Mike release the PC version first, and the music that goes with the project seperately, too.

This way, while he works on the mac version, Mac users can still enjoy the music. He'll have to release a music CD (called: "Mountain Lake," or "Fly Rose: Sonic Reality 1", somthing like that) either as a companion to the "game," or seperately. It will be something to do while everyone waits for his team to make a mac version.

Even though I'm a PC user, I see no reason why Mike's project shouldn't work on Macs, too. I also say that TSODE interactive part should be able to work on PCs as well as Macs smile.

However, I'm also an amateur PC programmer. It is not always easy or practical to reinvent something that you've done on one platform on another. Macs work quite differently from PCs, that includes the hardware. What they've done with the graphics on PCs may not be easy to translate to Mac screens. And if it is, something may be lost in the translation, which means that the Mac version may have something inferior about it compared to the PC (or the other way around).

This is why programs that are written for PCs often stay that way, and vice versa for Mac programs. Many companies don't want to risk wasting time translating programs onto a platform that could make either version look inferior to the other. The risk is often too great.

I hope he does make a Mac version just for the sake of the added market......but then again, I'm hoping the same basic thing for TSODE interactive track.
Profile PM 
mikel Offline

Posted: June 17 2000, 12:43

First of all, i'm user of both platforms. I have several PC's and one Mac. I use my mac for graphical design purpouses, but the mac is more than this, is an exceptional platform for a wide variery of things. But, thinking in business, develop a Mac version is expensive for the amount of users that use the Mac Platform.

The people who only have a Mac in his workplace/home should use a PC Emulator, like Virtual PC for enjoy Sonic VR. smile
Profile PM WEB 
Chris_Grothe Offline

Posted: June 17 2000, 21:42

Hi all.

I think most people who said, SR will only be released for PC, mean ... for Windows. I don't think that the SR CD/DVD/Internet Download will work on BeOs or Linux.

IMHO Mike should release the whole Music on a regular Audio CD, in addition to the VR Project, because a lot of people want to listen to the Music, and don't want to "explore" Mikes VR worlds.

bye

Chris
Profile PM WEB 
a2d Offline

Posted: June 18 2000, 15:13

I'm a long time Mac user who finally bit the bullet this week and bought a PC laptop, too. Unfortunately, I needed it for my job. But I still think Mike should make this project cross platform compatible, though I realize translation can be difficult.

I suppose the most surprising and disappointing aspect of this fiasco is that Macintosh computers are DESIGNED for this sort of thing! Macs are strong in the graphics, sound, and video department - much more so than PCs. Even the user above admits he uses a Mac for his graphics work. SVR is a program that would be ideal for the Mac OS.

Also surprising about this is the fact that we know Mike is a Mac user... you'd think he'd be the type of guy who *would* make it Mac compatible...!
Profile PM 
Gerhard Offline

Posted: June 24 2000, 17:18

<IMHO Mike should release the whole Music on a regular Audio CD, in addition to the VR Project, because a lot of people want to listen to the Music, and don't want to "explore" Mikes VR worlds. >

Hi Chris,

thats it!
I want to hear the music. I haven't the time, to spent a lot of time in front of my screen, only to hear some soundbits of Mike.

Gerhard
Profile PM 
5 replies since June 14 2000, 19:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net