Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Worst Song Thread, Name & Shame your Stinkers Here.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 13:29

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 16 2010, 12:52)
Quote (wiga @ Aug. 15 2010, 04:46)
Come to think of it, it's usually songs about places that have the catchiest, annoying tunes: -

London's Callling - Clash
(...)
Land Down Under - Men at Work....

DON'T BELONG! There's NOTHING annoying about Men at Work...

... okay, except for one tune in which they try too hard to sound like XTC. That one is annoying.

Ok, I'm prepared to swop "Land Down Under" - for an alternative song - but it's got to be a place (town, city or country).

... except New York, California or San Francisco, because there's too many songs about those places.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 17:28

The Black Hills of Dakota Wiga
Oh and Men at Work they suck Sorry Sir M they are just horrible and make most Aussies cringe  :laugh:
Try The Church much better imho under the milkyway great song
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 19:01

Quote (milamber @ Aug. 16 2010, 17:28)

Unguarded Moment does it for me, m.

I mean positively  :)

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 21:32

Oh and Men at Work they suck Sorry Sir M they are just horrible and make most Aussies cringe  :laugh:

They shouldn't. It's pop music at its very best, intelligent, creative and catchy all the way to Hell and back. No many can make songs like Upstairs in My House, which I love to bits.

(now Greg Ham yelping and hiccuping in a way that'd make Andy Partridge and Dave Byrne blush with shame, yeah, that crosses the line)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 21:34

Come to think of it, it's usually songs about places that have the catchiest, annoying tunes: -

(...)

... okay, except for one tune in which they try too hard to sound like XTC. That one is annoying.

They're facing huge court damages over that song. A court ruled that the melody was taken from a popular old Australian song "Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree". They're going to have to pay millions.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2010, 12:49

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 16 2010, 21:34)

(...)

They're facing huge court damages over that song. A court ruled that the melody was taken from a popular old Australian song "Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree". They're going to have to pay millions.

That's sad news - I never understand why some old tunes can be reproduced over and over, like "She Moves through the Fair" - no problem, but others get a big law suit slapped down on them.

Men at Work I thought were quite a unique band in the 80s - but didn't they only make one album. How can they afford to pay up?

....Ah, apparently there's two more albums after "Business as Usual".

--------------
Profile PM 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2010, 20:46

Men at Work I thought were quite a unique band in the 80s - but didn't they only make one album. How can they afford to pay up?

In case of plagiarism, the original authors usually ask for a percentage off the revenue generated by the infringing piece.

It sounds a bit strange that this would happen with a traditional folk song, but sometimes, old commonplace songs that are generally believed to be in the public domain are actually still protected by copyright. The most unexpected example probably being "Happy birthday to you" (notice how often they replace it with "For he's a jolly good fellow" in movies, etc.)

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2010, 21:04

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 17 2010, 12:49)
Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 16 2010, 21:34)

(...)

That's sad news - I never understand why some old tunes can be reproduced over and over, like "She Moves through the Fair" - no problem, but others get a big law suit slapped down on them.

....Ah, apparently there's two more albums after "Business as Usual".

Wiga, I don't they'll have trouble paying. I don't know how much money they made in the rest of the world, but they were hugely popular in Australia.

Ridge - I don't think "Kookaburra..." is old enough to qualify as a folk song. Its writers are known, and apparently copyright hadn't expired. Interestingly, the resemblance came to light only via a quiz show on Channel 2 - panelists had to guess what song the part of MAW's song resembled. And a record company executive was watching...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2010, 22:41

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 17 2010, 21:04)
Ridge - I don't think "Kookaburra..." is old enough to qualify as a folk song. Its writers are known, and apparently copyright hadn't expired. Interestingly, the resemblance came to light only via a quiz show on Channel 2 - panelists had to guess what song the part of MAW's song resembled. And a record company executive was watching...

That's a bizarre story; I find it highly improbable that such similarity would only come up now, since that song was so huge that everyone and his mother had already heard it a thousand times the day after it was released.

The story on BBC

60% of the income? "A big win for the underdog"? Smells like cheap opportunism to me. I mean, was the song written to be sung by schoolchildren, or to be played for profit? What the hell. Even Steve Vai had a stronger case against Coldplay, and I still think that one was testes.

What comforts me a little is that a considerable part of that sum will probably be paid by the record companies involved.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2010, 07:42

Quote (Cooper Roy @ Aug. 16 2010, 19:01)

Unguarded Moment does it for me, m.

I mean positively  :)

CR

What about Sherbet, Cooper? Here's a video of their "Cassandra". The melody of its refrain, played on the mellotron (I think) could almost come from the classics, except that it doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-7bOVEGCs
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2010, 17:31

Quote (Ridge Van Hergest @ Aug. 17 2010, 20:46)
sometimes, old commonplace songs that are generally believed to be in the public domain are actually still protected by copyright. The most unexpected example probably being "Happy birthday to you" (notice how often they replace it with "For he's a jolly good fellow" in movies, etc.)

I forgot about "Happy Birthday to you."

Here's a cool city tune - "This means nothing to me oh Vienna."

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2010, 20:56

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 18 2010, 17:31)
Here's a cool city tune - "This means nothing to me oh Vienna."

I always get an image of Rigsby singing that to this cat. (Does anyone remember Rising Damp?)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 03:41

Lesson learnt; there is no artist that you can safely mock on this forum. There is  no way you can guess in advance what the members here like beside Mike Oldfield. Truly baffling to discover this. :D
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 03:44

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 19 2010, 17:41)
Lesson learnt; there is no artist that you can safely mock on this forum.

I can think of 2 straight up

Hanson
Savage Garden  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 04:42

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 19 2010, 03:41)
Lesson learnt; there is no artist that you can safely mock on this forum. There is  no way you can guess in advance what the members here like beside Mike Oldfield. Truly baffling to discover this. :D
Lars T

Why would you want to mock someone anyway? That would be beastly  :(

As for Savage Garden, I quite like that song "I want to live", or whatever it's called.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 05:55

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 19 2010, 04:42)

No, mocking stuff you don't like is a fun and harmless passtime. It's also great entertainment and sometimes it leads to heated debates.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 07:35

Have Midge Ure and Ultravox been mentioned on here before. I've always been a big fan of them.

I never really got into Rising Damp Nightspore, there was too much canned laughter going on for me.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 08:25

Brazilian pop/rock music is full of tunes that can be listed here as the worst ever...pity that they are all in brazilian portuguese!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2010, 03:10

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 19 2010, 19:55)
Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 19 2010, 04:42)

No, mocking stuff you don't like is a fun and harmless passtime. It's also great entertainment and sometimes it leads to heated debates.

See Lars you can pick on Hanson ,who would stick up for them :laugh:

Nightspore really ? Well Ugo is wrong about people here not liking POP :laugh:

I bet you even have a few Nana Mouskouri cd's at the back of your collection your tastes are so vast.

And on the subject of being beastly remember our long suffering compatriot Caveman
:D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2010, 08:33

Quote (milamber @ Aug. 20 2010, 03:10)
Nightspore really ? Well Ugo is wrong about people here not liking POP :laugh:

I bet you even have a few Nana Mouskouri cd's at the back of your collection your tastes are so vast.

And on the subject of being beastly remember our long suffering compatriot Caveman
:D

I think Ugo exempted me from his blanket observation!

My brother likes Nana Mouskouri (the woman he married actually looks like her!;) but I'm indifferent to her. I'm not fond of jazz or most blues or country and western, but apart from that I'm open to most genres.

Poor Caveman - I wonder what happened to him? Perhaps he's gone to Wiggles Detox  :D
Profile PM 
184 replies since Aug. 01 2010, 05:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net