Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Working with an orchestra....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 13:37

I've just plugged into http://www.iespana.es/Geltrular/english/
(It's great having all of these new sites to explore that I didn't know of until I registered with tubular.net!)

Anyway, apologies if you already know this - it's probably appeared in the forums here somewhere but I quote:

"Mike said during an interview that he may plan to re-record 'Tubular Bells' in 2003, for the 30th Anniversary, using modern technology, *replacing the organ parts with a full orchestra as he originally wanted*, and fixing the out of tune or time sections..."

*I figure that will be fascinating as I feel Mike's music will lend itself to orchestration extremely well. Much better than other popular artists who have tried to do similar in the last 30-35 years.

Deep Purple (Concerto for Group...) failed
Metallica (S & M) failed
Pink Floyd (Atom Heart...) failed

I guess Rick Wakeman was one of the few successes with Journey...

The jury's still out on Yes (Magnification)

Can you think of others????

I'm not particularly keen on the Orchestral Tubular Bells but that's because Mike hardly appears on it! The best part of it is when Mike is heard playing over the top of the Orchestra at the end of part 2. I think the re-recording promises to be very different to most of Orchestral Tubular Bells.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 13:15

T4 taps his fingers on the table...awaiting the myriad of replies...in anticipation of some astounding opinions...

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 17:27

Mike also used an orchestra in Voyager, and a bit in The Millennium Bell.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 21:51

I felt that the combination of Mike and orchestra on 'Lake Constance' was one of the highlights of The Millennium Bell, and I do endulge in listening to The Orchestral Tubular Bells every now and again (and enjoy it), so I've no doubt that Mike and an orchestra could work. For re-recording Tubular Bells, it should work, as the OTB shows that the whole lot can be arranged for an orchestra, and Mike just wants to replace the organ parts for this one.

I'm trying to think of other artists who have used orchestras on their recordings. Having a quick glance over the pile of CDs on my desk, 'Mythodea' by Vangelis is a piece that I am still undecided about. I haven't listened to it enough to get a proper opinion about it...Um, I can't think of any others at the moment.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 21:56

One I'd class a success would be XTC's 'Apple Venus Volume 1', an album that integrated the orchestra into the songs at the production stage, rather than being a load of old hits rehashed with strings attached...

Mike wanted to use the string section in place of the organ parts in Tubular Bells...I happen to like the organ sounds, I think they go a long way to lending the album its eery quality. A good orchestration could add something interesting, though...

There was Incantations, of course - I feel that integrated orchestral textures in a fairly interesting way, at least more so than in some rock works...that's the kind of area that I feel would be best explored if going down the 'Mike Oldfield + Orchestra' route, but he'll go where he wants to.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 02:31

Interesting...I haven't heard 'Apple Venus Volume 1' but you've intrigued me so I'll probably pick up a copy soon!

As for Mike, I appreciate there are parts of other albums where he has used an Orchestra/Orchestral textures...Exposed IMHO is a triumph. It tremendously enhances his live sound when applied correctly.

The trouble I find, is that rock music in general does not lend itself to the full orchestral works much of the time. What has worked, very well in the past, is the occasional 'orchestral' instrument (if I may call them that...) being integrated into the conventional rock line up. For example, Peter Gabriel's oboe with Genesis, Eddie Jobson's violin with UK, Martin Offord's flute with Jadis and much of the mid-seventies Electric Light Orchestra releases (featured two violinists and a cellist).

Much better to write the music with an orchestra in mind, if planning to go for a full orchestra throughout the album, and ensuring that the rock/classical contributions compliment each other rather than clash. I've said in another forum here that I feel Mike's future success lies in soundtracks and I'm convinced he is capable of writing appropriate scores to whatever he decides to work on. This would be the ideal way to use an orchestra rather than apply it to previous works.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 12:59

Mike has said all sorts about doing soundtracks...I think the latest was that he doesn't want to do any more, but that could change...

I thought the orchestral parts for The Killing Fields worked very nicely. It was interesting, listening to one of David Bedford's own works a little while ago, to note how much of his own style creeps in when he handles the arrangements (that's of course quite obvious in The Orchestral Tubular Bells in places).
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 18:39

I must confess that I have struggled with some of David Bedfords albums, although the last 7-8 minutes of 'Stars End' side 1, makes it a worthwhile purchase. I found 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' more accessible because it captures the emotion and ambience of the verse and is quite indicative of the fashion of the seventies for concept albums with narration from 'typical English' actors (a la Wakeman with Journey...etc). 'Rio Grande' is a nice song too.

I digress, but my favourite Bedford/Oldfield collaboration is 'Sirens' from 'Oddysey' - one of the most peaceful and beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.

For thunderous, live Oldfield guitar solo-ing, the title track from 'Instructions for Angels' is... phew!!

Bedford's style and arrangements are certainly distinctive and best with Mike's guitar accompaniment.

--------------
Profile PM 
7 replies since Mar. 22 2002, 13:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net