Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Woodhenge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 05 2014, 06:07

Does anyone know *exactly* (OK, to the nearest month!) when Woodhenge was recorded? I know it predates most of Platinum and is in part a "predecessor" to some of Incantations...my evidence for this is that it appears on the "Reflections" soundtrack, and of course the style and instrumentation.

I only have the original Platinum CD, which simply states that it (the album) was recorded at various locations including Througham. Maybe there is more info on the deluxe, or someone is better informed?

Thanks

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 05 2014, 06:46

Not sure about the date either, but the electric guitar sound is exactly the same as on Ommadawn. Just listen to when Mike demonstrates his guitar sound on the "Making of Ommadawn" when Mike plugs his guitar straight into the mixer and adds some sorts of built-in delay effect (that doesn't exactly tempo-sync BTW).

I allways assumed it was a "Ommadawn-era" recording.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 05 2014, 19:14

To make an educated guess...

Like you say, it's there in the Reflection soundtrack, and Througham is listed as one of the recording locations. Mike left The Beacon in late 1975 and Reflection is dated 1977. Like Lars says, the guitar sound is much more like the warmer Ommadawn-era sound as opposed to some of the brighter, more brittle sounds which are on Incantations (which I'm fairly sure are the L6-S). It does also have the sound of an Incantations-era production in the sound of the tuned percussion and the nature of the reverb. He also didn't stick around at The Beacon for long after Ommadawn was finished, but I get the impression he did do a fair bit of experimenting when he first got to Througham.

My best guess based on all that is that it's probably 1976, but probably later in the year - Portsmouth and Argiers, from January 1976, were recorded in the living room at Througham using the Manor Mobile, because the studio hadn't been installed. That's the most precise date I currently have relating to the installation of the studio there, though.

It was similar in Denham, incidentally - I don't know exactly what parts of Platinum were recorded there, but I suspect not huge amounts of it, because the studio wasn't installed (and wasn't ready until he began Five Miles Out...QE2 was another living room production!;). That's likely the main reason why it was mixed at AIR. Not that it really helps date Woodhenge...
Profile PM 
GrassySound Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2015, 13:26

My second favorite tune on Platinum, after the title track!
Profile PM 
GrassySound Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2015, 13:26

Much preferred to Into Wonderland & I Got Rhythm!
Profile PM 
4 replies since May 05 2014, 06:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net