Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Winter Music< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 19:44

I'm in the mood to compile a playlist of MO pieces that are either Wintery or Christmasy as a way to immerse myself in the season. I've come up with a few choices, but I'm hoping other TBers can help. Any suggestions for whole or partial tracks are welcome.

In Dulci Jubilo
The Bell
Silent Night
Snow Cavern Flight
Peace On Earth
Daydream (I can easily imagine snowfall to this)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Pendragon Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 20:40

The jingle bell part of Hergest Ridge   :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 21:38

Quote (Pendragon @ Dec. 07 2007, 02:40)
The jingle bell part of Hergest Ridge   :)

yessssss..
i had the same thought!!!  :D
Also Moonwatch.. It is like snowing after leaving man in the rain.. So quiet moment.
Peace from Tb 2003 is also a nice theme :)
not to forget the cuckoo song!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2007, 18:18

Quote (Tubularman @ Dec. 07 2007, 03:38)
not to forget the cuckoo song!

And also Mike's version of Rossini's William Tell overture, of course. That track also features jingle bells. And more prominently than HR. :)

Jingling aside, I've always found "Étude" (the long album version) a very Christmas-ish piece, apart from the setting and the movie for which it was done. It's only a sonic link...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 13:16

I Bet Mike loves Christmas to with  the "In Dulci Jubilo" Track being put on loop in all the major stores well here in the UK at least along with "Slade" and Jona Lewie for a good Month or so..   i reckon hes made an absolute fortune from that Recording in Royalties...  I normally try to buy 1 Xmas Cd a year just to get in the Spirit.. I got Enyas last year,, Moody Blues the Year Before.. I might get the Josh Groban one this time.. Got to get in the swing u know lol... ;)

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 18:10

In Dulci Jubilo
Portsmouth
William Tell Overture
Silent Night
Peace On Earth
Hergest Ridge,  sleigh bells section,  Incantations also has a festive feel to it with sleigh bells, and oddly enough parts of Tubular Bells sound festive, well I think TB has a wintery feel in places     :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2007, 04:25

There were some cheerfull moments on "Five Miles Out" that come to mind....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2007, 22:44

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, guys. I spent today at home with MO music. I also added "On Horseback" to the playlist as it mentions snow in the lyrics - something I had forgotten until recently. Coincidentally, it did snow a little here today.

Oh, and  birthday greetings to Lars on his special day.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2007, 08:08

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 25 2007, 22:44)
Thanks so much for all your suggestions, guys. I spent today at home with MO music. I also added "On Horseback" to the playlist as it mentions snow in the lyrics - something I had forgotten until recently. Coincidentally, it did snow a little here today.

Oh, and  birthday greetings to Lars on his special day.  :)

Thank you very much Sweetpea! It's a special day for most people,  so the tendency is that I'm not the main attraction!

For some reason Tubular Bells is a wintery album to me. I suppose it's because I heard it for the first time in december 1982. The the high piano notes is also kind of snowflake-ish I suppose.

The HR pt 1 thing is odd. There's a distinctly wintery section towards the end, but the album as a whole is very summery to me.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2007, 10:39

Rocky has a wintery sound to me. And how about Cook's Tune?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2007, 19:28

I'm not sure whether unreleased tracks count for this topic, but I think that "Prophecy" and "The Other Side", two tracks from the second part of Mike O's Music of the Spheres have a very wintery sound. They don't sound Christmas-ish, of course, but to me both of them (especially "The Other Side") evoke a very nice picture of a wintery, snowy, lonesome landscape... a bit like the owl cavern in the Tr3s Lunas game... but maybe it's a bit hard (at least for me) to dissociate that scene in the game from the wonderful music accompanying it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
10 replies since Dec. 06 2007, 19:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net