Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: why you don't like it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2003, 18:31

For the ones who doesn't like Heaven's Open,share the reasons for that...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2003, 19:08

mainly one... it doesn't say much to me, except as i said, 'music from the balcony'.

i got it when it was released and i listened to it for a while trying to find something on it, but time passes and almost never listen to the whole of it...
that's all i think...

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2003, 23:46

The only track on Heaven's Open I dislike is Gimme Back - pretty bad, really. Don't like the vocals, don't like the lyrics, don't like the instrumentation, don't like it at all. The rest ranges from decent to pretty darn good (the title track). As for Music from the Balcony, it's not actually bad, just not one of my favourites. Some good sections, but also some not-so-good parts. I'll stick with Taurus II and the Ommadawns for side-long pieces, personally. But it's still alright.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 29 2003, 08:48

I also like the title track a lot, and think that Music From The Balcony is underrated, which isn't to say I think it's the most amazing thing he's ever done - just that I feel it doesn't deserve to be completely consigned to the musical scrapheap. MFTB is a very 'difficult' piece of music, more spiky than Amarok and more strange, but somehow not too distant a relative.

Most people I've played the album to who aren't so familiar with Mike's work have actually quite liked it. Perhaps some of the dislike which fans have for it is simply because it's not really very Mike Oldfield (maybe that's why it says Michael Oldfield on the cover! ).

Heaven's Open is definitely the standout track for me, but there's nothing amongst the songs there which I find unlistenable.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2003, 14:49

I think Heaven's Open has got a bad rap,not sure why though,the track it's "Heaven's Open" is amazing,there is so much going in there,so much noise,and a great guitar solo,it also has a guest artist on the album in Courtney Pine,who is a great musician,also Simon Phillips on drums,but most of the talk is about "Music From The Balcony",it is an unusal track even for Mike,but i would suggest that anyone who even slightly likes Amarok,should like it,it is amazingly well produced and played,i have always liked it,it's not quite Amarok 2,but more like a distant cousin.
Looking at the album credits,i ask:
What is a Boffinry?.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2003, 22:46

in response to qjamesfloyd's question, 'boffinry' is a sort of slang for 'fancy technical wizardry', eg making the guitars, keyboards and computers work.

I agree that Heaven's Open is a strange album, and certainly is very different from the normal Mike Oldfield stuff. But, for me, two of Mike's most amazing songs are on here, in No Dream and the title track. Music from the Balcony is quite a strange thing to listen to, but I love the sax bit in the middle. I also like the piano intro.This can be a rewarding album to closely listen to. Like most MO albums, it took me quite a while to really get into this album, but it is by no means his worst. Most definately not the best, but not the worst either.

One question, during the piano intro to MFTB which I mentioned before, there is a sort of squelchy sound. Does anyone know what this sound actually is, or what made it?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2003, 04:53

i dont like it because id rather listen to his music without his singing, like tubular bells tres lunas etc, i think that mike singing on the album spoils it, it turns it more into a pop song than new age, spaced out music.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 03 2003, 12:46

With more detail on the boffinry question (and straying off topic for a second...), Richard Barrie (he of boffinry fame) is Mike's technical engineer - he wires all the equipment up and makes sure it works. Mike would take care of the day to day operation of the equipment himself.

I like the fact that Heaven's Open isn't another album of floaty newageiness; I think the rebellious streak in it appeals to me...
Profile PM 
7 replies since Jan. 27 2003, 18:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net