Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why Trevor Horn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2006, 03:53

Why did Mike Choose Trevor Horn as hid producer for this album?.
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 04:16

Trevor Horn is/was one of the best producers in the world. Take a look at Yes' 90125 for an example.
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 04:51

Yes, but there are plenty of great producers in the world, what in particular was it about Trevor that Mike saw.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 06:23

I'm guessing it's more to do with Mike's then new record label, Warner. They probably wanted some kind of guarantee to TB2 quality and timescale. From what I've read, I'm not convinced Mike was overly keen on the selection.

Plus Mike had previously worked (briefly) with Geoff Downes, Trevor's partner in Buggles and the Yes Drama album.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 12:01

Trevor Horn was most definitely Mike's choice of producer, he is/was a huge fan of Mike's music. Trevor Horn is one of the greatest music producers there is and his work on TB2, whether you love or loath the album, is undeniably technically amazing. Loads of dance acts these days are citing Trevor's 80's work with Frankie Goes to Hollywood (he produced and pretty much wrote it all) as hugely influential. I certainly haven't read any interviews with Mike where he has seemed anything less than hugely proud of Trevor's work on TB2, Tom Newman on the other hand is a different story. He was apparently dead against the huge use of sequencers on TB2 and I think left working on the album long before the end of production.

Its interesting that a lot of fans, including myself I must admit, have laid the blame for the hi-tech synthetic feel of TB2 firmly at Trevor's feet. A couple of years ago much to everyone's surprise he teamed up with Belle and Sebastian to produce their 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress' album. Belle and Sebastian are famed for being an utterly lo-fi acoustic band actually using the fact that they record much of their stuff in peoples bedrooms on the simplest of recording equipment (much like Mike had done with his TB demos) much to their advantage. Trevor did a fantastic job and really kept the flavour of the band with his subtle production, arguably not something he had done for Mike and TB2. Still Mike had seemed famously against the use of 'mindless barrel organs' up until he started work with Trevor on TB2.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 29 2006, 12:23

Quote (olracUK @ July 29 2006, 12:23)
I'm guessing it's more to do with Mike's then new record label, Warner. They probably wanted some kind of guarantee to TB2 quality and timescale. From what I've read, I'm not convinced Mike was overly keen on the selection.

Plus Mike had previously worked (briefly) with Geoff Downes, Trevor's partner in Buggles and the Yes Drama album.

Yeah, I think it has very much to do with Trevor being suggested by former Warner CEO Rob Dickins.

An interesting interview with one of the sound engineers can be found here:

String Driven

When I asked Tom Newman about working with Mike and Trevor back in 1992 in Edinburgh, he just said:

"I knew somebody would ask me this!"

;)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 13:26

Thanks for the info, i personaly have never had a problem with Trevor Horns work on TB11, it was one of the albums that REALLY turned me onto Mike Oldfields music in the first place.I was just interested in why Mike would choose to work with such a famous producer as Mike has always been happy to do it all himself.Can we read into the fact that he has never repeated that fact?.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 14:57

Trevor Horn was the best singer "Yes" ever had. Not that this would be a reason to choose him as producer!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 17:56

Quote (hiawatha @ July 29 2006, 14:57)
Trevor Horn was the best singer "Yes" ever had. Not that this would be a reason to choose him as producer!

WHAT??? Get your ears checked man.. Listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans and tell me that stroke-about-to-happenb singer is better than the pristine angelic voice of Jon Anderson..
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 19:16

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ July 29 2006, 06:16)
Trevor Horn is/was one of the best producers in the world. Take a look at Yes' 90125 for an example.

And later on he was onhe of the producers behind that thing caled t.a.t.u. :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 05:03

I didn't know Trevor Horn produced "Tubular Bells II" - but I don't have that album (only the live performance on dvd, which is great though)...

Pet Shop Boys most recent album, "Fundamental", is produced by Horn as well. He's done a great work there.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 07:36

Quote (Hillbilly @ July 30 2006, 05:03)
I didn't know Trevor Horn produced "Tubular Bells II" - but I don't have that album (only the live performance on dvd, which is great though)...

Pet Shop Boys most recent album, "Fundamental", is produced by Horn as well. He's done a great work there.

Did he produce the whole of that Pet Shop Boys album? I thought it was just one track. It has to be admitted he has sat behind the mixing desk for some extraordinarily dodgy artists like Boyzone and Westlife. I guess the money must be good.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 07:38

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ July 29 2006, 17:56)
WHAT??? Get your ears checked man.. Listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans and tell me that stroke-about-to-happenb singer is better than the pristine angelic voice of Jon Anderson..

I've not heard "Tales" yet, but I've heard about 8 or so albums with Anderson singing. This includes albums around the era of "Tales". Unless his singing in "Tales" is so different from his other singing, I'm not going to change my view.

But what do I know. I'm just a cloth-eared nincompoop. Last time I checked my ears, there was a bolt of gingham in them.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 07:53

Quote (hiawatha @ July 30 2006, 07:38)
Last time I checked my ears, there was a bolt of gingham in them.

Yummy  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 12:10

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ July 30 2006, 07:53)

it's a type of CLOTH, not a cookie! :)

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 14:47

Quote (hiawatha @ July 30 2006, 12:10)

Yummy :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 17:17

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ July 30 2006, 19:47)
Quote (hiawatha @ July 30 2006, 12:10)

Yummy :)

That's odd..I thought I had cookies turned off on my 'puter.

Back on subject - when I saw Horn sing with Yes he had an industrial sized bottle of throat spray with him. His Buggles work was mostly Vocoded (although Vermillion Sands is still in my top 37 favourite songs). I guess he was trying too hard on stage to reach Jon's pitch. Love or loath Jon's voice, he made Yes instantly recognizable.

And I do like the "feel" of TBII.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: July 31 2006, 05:24

Quote (TOBY @ July 30 2006, 07:36)
Quote (Hillbilly @ July 30 2006, 05:03)

Did he produce the whole of that Pet Shop Boys album? I thought it was just one track. It has to be admitted he has sat behind the mixing desk for some extraordinarily dodgy artists like Boyzone and Westlife. I guess the money must be good.

Yes, this time Trevor Horn has produced the whole album and Pet Shop Boys aren't even credited as co-producers. Their earlier collaboration, back in 1988, was limited to just a few songs though, like the hit single "Left to my own devices" and one more track on the album Introspective.

Although Horn is not the arranger, one thing that gives Fundamental its characteristic is the big orchestral arrangements on the slow numbers in particular.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 31 2006, 16:07

If there´s somebody out there who likes Yes´ Drama have a listen at The Buggles "Adventures In Modern Recording".

IMHO "I Am A Camera" is a masterpiece!
Profile PM 
18 replies since July 29 2006, 03:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net