Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why these singles?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
morten Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 27 2002, 06:46

I just wonder why MO did release all the strange singles in the 70s. Songs lik "Froggy went a courting", "Don Alfonso", "Cuckoo song" etc. And I do understand why Richard Branson stopped the first version of Sally. These are just silly songs with no musical ambition. So why did Virgin let MO release these. Was it because of his TB success that he could do what he liked. Because with Platinum he was no longer allowed to so.

Of course this shows his humour, which we haven't seen so much lately.

These singles can't possibly have sold many copies, and they would have been a disappointment for the people who liked TB and Ommadawn.
Profile PM 
daulfes Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 01 2002, 07:43

I am a collector of especially these "strange" singles. And strange they are, indeed. Strange at the same time fascinating.

Just listen to DON ALFONSO and the wonderful guitar playing of mike. I cannot get enough of it. It is surpassed only in the first part of Ommadawn, and maybe in the final of Tubular Bells 3. And then there is the German version of DA, which holds a (hi)story of it's own.

FROGGY is important since it was the first single release of Mike. Just listen to the lyrics...the same man composed Tubular Bells. Unbelievable!

COCKOO SONG is just a wonderful folk tune. Not sensetional, but very relaxing to listen to. You forgot to mention ON HORSEBACK, PORTSMOUTH, IN DULCI JUBILO, WRECORDER WRONDO, WIllIAM TELL OUVERTURE, VIVALDI CONCERTO...They all show a different Mike Oldfield with a great love for tradition and folk songs.

By the way, some of these singles DID sell quite well (On horseback, In dulci jucilo...) and were successfull financially and musically.

One of the main reasons why these singles are so precious is the fact many of the titles are not available on CD or any other vinyl source (f.e. DON ALFONSO and FROGGY). Apparently there is no intention whatsoever to release them on CD. And this is quite ok, since thus the special flair of the early singles is preserved.

Cheers

Dominik
Profile PM 
1 replies since Sep. 27 2002, 06:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net