Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why So Quiet??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
LivingForever Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 10:45

Hergest Ridge is a fantastic piece of music...

But does anyone else find it is very let down by the mixing and production?

First up, it's exceptionally quiet, you have to really crank up the volume to be able to hear much of the first 5 minutes or so of part one.

And what you can hear always sounds like a real muddle to me, I'd love to be able to hear some instruments picking their way through the muddy wash of sound.

The HDCD seems to provide some relief from this problem but I think the best way to sort this out would be a 5.1 remix from the master tapes, separate the instruments out a bit so we can hear them more clearly.

Anyone else agree?

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 11:28

No, its an excellent piece of work as it is, when it first came out the music critics complained about the 'quiet record'.

But it has stood the test of time as one of Mike Oldfields better albums.

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 18:49

Read the notes at the back of 'Amarok'. There you got the answer.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 16:42

Hohohoho... :p

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 02:14

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 26 2007, 18:49)
Read the notes at the back of 'Amarok'. There you got the answer.

Aha! Now I get it. I suppose it would have helped if I'd actually gone and read the back of Amarok, as you suggested, Delfin. My apologies for letting my negligence cause you to respond to your own joke.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 05:35

Quote (LivingForever @ Oct. 13 2003, 10:45)
Hergest Ridge is a fantastic piece of music...

But does anyone else find it is very let down by the mixing and production?

First up, it's exceptionally quiet, you have to really crank up the volume to be able to hear much of the first 5 minutes or so of part one.

And what you can hear always sounds like a real muddle to me, I'd love to be able to hear some instruments picking their way through the muddy wash of sound.

The HDCD seems to provide some relief from this problem but I think the best way to sort this out would be a 5.1 remix from the master tapes, separate the instruments out a bit so we can hear them more clearly.

Anyone else agree?

James

I have the Boxed version on CD, which has quite a different sound to the original or HDCD versions - you may want to listen to that one if you can.  I feel it is nicely balanced with good sound.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 07:32

I still say the original non-remix version is the best. Nothing else will do. Here's a cheap way to get surround sound and it won't hurt your amplifier/reciever. Hook a 3rd speaker to the red "hot wires" to your left and right speaker connections. Reds only. Put that speaker in the back, midway between your front speakers. It sounds cool. Drum rolls will pan all the way around the room! Only info from the extreme left and right gets sent to the back speaker. Maybe HR will sound more 3D for you.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 08:07

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 28 2008, 07:32)
I still say the original non-remix version is the best. Nothing else will do. Here's a cheap way to get surround sound and it won't hurt your amplifier/reciever. Hook a 3rd speaker to the red "hot wires" to your left and right speaker connections. Reds only. Put that speaker in the back, midway between your front speakers. It sounds cool. Drum rolls will pan all the way around the room! Only info from the extreme left and right gets sent to the back speaker. Maybe HR will sound more 3D for you.

Isn't that technique similar to what Brian Eno suggested in one of his Ambient LP's, if I'm not mistaken, On Land? That's something I'd like to try, if I could...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 08:59

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 28 2008, 08:07)
Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 28 2008, 07:32)

Isn't that technique similar to what Brian Eno suggested in one of his Ambient LP's, if I'm not mistaken, On Land? That's something I'd like to try, if I could...

That`s exactly right Sir M.Brian mentions on the back cover of that album how he`d cosidered releasing a quadraphonic version of it.But then abandoned that due to his own realization that very few people had a quadraphonic set-up himself included.The set up is exactly the same as the one Scatterplot describes here.It`s not something I`ve ever tried myself but what Eno tended to discover from it is that the 3rd speaker would tend to highlight sound that was not common to both sides of the stereo.He also found that it worked well no matter what part of the room you decided to put your speaker in.I`m actually wondering now just what kind of strange and wonderful results you would get by playing Mike`s quadraphonic mix of Hergest Ridge through such a system?Or any of those quad versions for that matter?

Eno does point out that the lower the impedence of the added speaker the louder it will sound.Although in his experience he rarely found it to be too loud, or intrusive to the overall effect I suppose.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 11:20

I did it for a few years and really enjoyed the effect. I was told about it by a producer freind. In the rear and middle is best. It doesn't even have to be a really expensive speaker. If you hear something that normally would pan between R and L, like a Phil Collins tom roll, it gets........interesting.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 04:01

Connecting those two wires will give the middle speak a signal only when there is a difference in the signals going to both left and right speaker.

so if you get a drum beat only from the right speaker - it will also sound on the middle speaker

if you get drum beat on both left and right speakers at same time there will be no sound on the middle speaker

you have made a 'difference speaker'  it only sounds the difference between the left and right channel.  It would be interesting to take off the left and right speakers and just listen to the middle one - that may be Weird - easpecially if listening to Hergest Ridge - you would probably get a different MO album.  Tubular bells next!!!

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 04:04

Quote (LivingForever @ Oct. 13 2003, 15:45)
...... separate the instruments out a bit so we can hear them more clearly.

Anyone else agree?

James

WEll if were going to separate instruments out  - I would prefere to put them on guitar rstands and set them up in a wee semi circle and get the man himself to come in to the room and play them one at a time.

:D  :D  :D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
11 replies since Oct. 13 2003, 10:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net