Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why play online ?, well, a slightly provocative question..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2002, 08:45

Now that I've successfully managed to setup my ISDN router to connect from my PC to a game server, I'm starting to wonder what's the real benefit of playing online?
OK, you can take others with you and show them all those nice places, but -
- to have others see you, you must use one of the avatars, which sometimes are a real pain to control, especially when you need a quick look around.
- there seems to be hardly any further interaction with the other avatars or the environment, except throwing things at the guitar or piano for a short solo. Other avatars should somehow change the music that all connected players hear, at least those in the same area. OTOH, mixing e.g. the 'ant disco' and 'tai chi island' themes would possibly not be a good idea ;)
- there is no obvious feedback whether you successfully connected to a server, besides the host leaving some avatars at the origin, someone else connects/disconnects or the server goes off-line. Maybe this is something that should be fixed in future versions.

Suggestion to the MVR people (in case anyone at MVR reads this):
- make the camera (at least as an option) fixed to the avatar, following its turns immediately.

Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2002, 08:16

I went online a few times when Mike himself was there as the Blue Moth and found it a truly surreal and wondeful experience. Yes, there was no verbal communication but just being an avatar in Mike's world with him as an avatar too was really cool. To me it added another dimension to this great experience - it should not really be termed a 'game' but an 'experience'.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2002, 07:48

in my opinion, flying off line and flying with others online are complete different things... when i fly alone, off line everything goes ok i feel as if mvr is a huge world where you can take a rest from the real world and where you can be alone for a while.. but when you TRY to fly with others is an adventure... it's difficult in some way (in my opinion :)   first because  it's a just born way of communication... i'm discovering that it depends who you fly with it changes... i mean... you have to go knowing the other... it takes time and a lot of times you can't make a 'complete tour' but it doesn't mind... only flying some minutes with somebody is worthwhile, the feeling of watching the other while moving around you... feeling the avatar is alive... i love it
in other hand it's difficult too because of the 'technic' i don't find a better way to say it...  :/   i mean... my machine is not a bad one but i had a lot of problems with it... now... it works much better... with the 1.1a update, although there are some days.... crash after crash... it's difficult for me going to the board from mvr because sometimes it get stuck and i have to go out ... sometimes the connection fails... or the machine goes off... and i have to restart and start the search...  :)  but it's funny... i love flying from here to there looking for the alive avas... i love the feeling when you are flying with somebody who is in the blue moth because it's easier, you can hear its breathing... when it flies behind you and you can't see it.
i hope the problems we are having will be fixed, think they are working on it, things have got much better from the beginning... updates, mvr support team...
i believe in this project and think we have to be patient because it's very new... as i said... i think it's a new way of communication for those who have dreamt to fly into m.o.
music
cheers
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Aug. 05 2002, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net