[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why Mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2008, 18:25

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 14 2007, 15:49)
Quote (Ebony @ Sep. 03 2007, 14:44)
I'm an escapist by nature.

Many years ago I used to be troubled by the fact that 'escapism' is often regarded by many people as something to be disapproved of, and therefore something we escapists maybe needed to be defensive about. Then I read JRR Tolkien's comment about escapism, and it resolved the issue for ever.

Well, said Tolkien, who are the people that you'd expect to be most worried about other people escaping?

Jailers!

Yep Tolkien hit the nail on the head there, I love the works of Tolkien :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 08:51

There's nothing wrong with escapism IMO.I listen to Oldfield for this reason (among others).There's something very comforting about his music.Like everyone else i've had a lot of problems (depression,debt,seperation from my wife)over the last 8 years but through all the crap i've had music.
Nothing,save  my daughters, gives me more joy than playing my guitars.It's a pure form of escapism if i'm sat in my flat.I can go into my own world and be very happy there for hours.If i'm doing a gig it's different.That's about giving something.But i also love to listen to music and let it take me somewhere.What i love about Mike's music is it's visual quality.Being from Salisbury i love the countryside and in particaular the southern part of Salisbury Plain.HR,although written in Herefordshire,reminds me of this area in that it has a feel of rolling hills and i see the Plain when i hear it.
As long as you don't escape full time and forget reality then there's no harm in leaving the present for a while at least. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 00:18

I got into Mike’s music through my parents, who had Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge, and began listening to them from the mid-70s onwards. By the late 70s/early 80s I discovered other music and Joy Division & New Order became my main musical obsession. I think for a long time I couldn’t make sense of my musical tastes which ranged from 70s rock to punk/new wave to electronic to indie rock, so I probably didn’t listen to Mike Oldfield that much again until the 90s. At that point I thought 'what the hell, if I like it then what’s the problem?' so I rediscovered Mike’s music in a big way. I bought quite a few of his albums on CD for the first time, the usual suspects like TB and HR but also Amarok and Songs Of Distant Earth, Crises and Five Miles Out.

Joy Division & New Order and Mike Oldfield are the only artists whose music I would say I love, rather than just like. It sometimes comes down to whether you like somebody’s music or whether you love it. Of course I doubt their paths have/will ever cross, although when New Order recorded the track Elegia they were quizzed in an interview about its Mike Oldfield-ness.

Why do I like Mike’s music? Probably something to do with its warmth, gentleness, abrasiveness, the unpredictability, the sadness, the fun and the colours and images it generates in my mind.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 05:44

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 02 2008, 19:03)
arron11196, your experience makes me wonder if part of "Why Mike?" is because we tend to appreciate things we have to work for - putting in that listening investment, and having it pay off so well?

Well, I certainly didn't consciously set out for it to be that way, but it may very well be. I honestly couldn't tell you. I think I'm too close to the situation to be able to tell, and it would require an outside perspective.

The process that I would have gone through here is the one AFTER I'd realised that I actually liked the thing - then exploring which bits spoke to me and which bits didn't. Before JWWOTW flipped that switch, the album and others like it basically had no chance.

I'm still like that today. A couple of years ago I would have hated the track "Blow me away" by Breaking Benjamin. But, I got into Porcupine Tree, who have vocals that are less screamo. Through the gradual process of "getting" them, they opened up the door to more stuff like Breaking Benjamin.

Even though Mike is the same artist, I kind of feel like his albums have given me the same treatment. They're so varied and different, sometimes there isn't the artistic cohesiveness that generally tends to follow from one album of an artists' to the next... they at least in part have a similar sound. I don't know about you, but I think most of Mike's albums sound very different from each other. I suppose the closest would be TBII and TSODE, although TSODE has a wildly different relaxed feel and so is worlds away (pun intended) from the god album.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
43 replies since Feb. 15 2001, 03:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net