[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why Mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 03:36

Hello everyone.

I think we're all agreed that most of us here, if not all, are Mike Oldfield fanatics. My question of the day, for everyone out there, is, Why Mike? I don't mean how did you discover him. What I mean is:

Once you discovered Mike and his music, why did you keep listening?

OK, how did you discover him, and why did you stay?

Are you an original fan from the 70s, who bought Tubular Bells and kept on going afterwards? Have you "committed" to any other artists, ie bought all their albums and/or started or joined forums/chat/mailing lists or your own related web page? Or is Mike a one-off? Is Mike the only music you listen to? And why do you like it?

-Tim-

A fanatic who discovered Mike Oldfield properly last year, bought Tubular Bells after hearing the Complete and liking everything on it, especially the Ommadawn excerpt, bought more albums afterwards, joined Tubular Forums, tried to make his whole school aware of Mike Oldfield, signed up for the Amarok Mailing List, devoted a section of his web page to Oldfield-related stuff, and also buys Pink Floyd albums and rock reference books. In his spare time he goes to school, does cross-country running, plays football, squash and volleyball, and listens to any artist ranging from Bob Dylan to Led Zep, via Queen, Vangelis, Tchaikovsky, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Rick Wakeman, Meat Loaf, Paul Simon and many, many others.
Profile PM WEB 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 05:39

This is a nice topic.

The first CD I listened to was "The Best of Elements". I loved (still do) "Portsmouth"...

However, what was really strange about this first listing, was my feel of recognition this sound, this guitar from somewhere - As if I heared it sometime long ago before. Well, I imagined Mike to look like an "OLD" man with a grey beard, somehow like Joe Cocker. Don´t ask me why... I didn´t take a look at the sleeve too.
However I was an absolute adherent of Vangelis at this time, never listened really to something different.
The short instrumental excerpts of this CD resembled Vangelis, ...well I actually thought this at first glance. They were emotional and lively, but because of my Vangelis-addiction I didn´t accept "someone being as good as Vangelis" so I stopped listening.
This is strange, I tried to AVOID GETTING INTO CONTACT with this CD, with "Portsmouth" in the time to come. On the other hand, I was lured by it... It was like doing something "forbidden", smoking at the age of 12, drinking alcohol, whatever...
Well, I didn´t succeed... I started to really enjoy his music.

Then I saw a special offer in the CD-store. Oldfield CD´s for less than 10 DM !!! biggrin biggrin biggrin
I just bought two frown frown , actually I didn´t know, which ones were good... . Fortunately I chosed "Ommadawn" smile and... "Earth Moving" frown .
"Ommadawn" - it was/is wonderful.
It is such an emotional, personal, touching music, so different from conventional popmusic. The mixture of instruments, this wonderful E-guitar sound... All is made to withstand time!
Everyother album I bought further on, I associate with experiences in my life. Such as my first girlfriend, my successes, my losses.
Later on I began to sort out and tried to go deeper in his music. Well, the instrumentals proved to be the more "insteresting" ones.

Hergest Ridge...

This will ever be the sweetest experience. Don´t know, how often I listened to it. Recently, having problems with my studies and my girlfriend, I sang te complete tunes of Hergest Ridge in the morning, taking a bath in its melancholy.

Well, furthermore Oldfield music heavily influences myown (little) compositions. sometimes its repetitivness, its "arrogance", the guitar sound. Actually I don´t want it to be influenced...

Well today, I sometimes have less-euphoric opinion about his music. I hope to be more critical about things which Mike did not so well. His recent works above all, ...unfortunately. Strangely his early music is more MODERN and timeless than his newer works. More passionate, I hope its not because he grew older, you know, that "older people" tend to like less "progressive stuff". rolleyes Don´t take anything personal, who feels addressed...
I thought his works could be more mature. More sophisticated. Well, I hope he will make it again.
Profile PM 
cp Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 08:08

Dervish_D certainly has a point when he said that the instrumental works are the most interesting.

How did I discover Mike? I first heard Tubular Bells a few years ago (I can't remember when) when I was digging through/mutilating my Dad's record collection. At the time, I didn't think that it was particularly great, and I didn't realise that Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge were also in the box.

I don't know whether I'd be classified as "properly" discovering Mike Oldfield, since I don't own very many MO CDs and haven't even heard most of the albums frown. I suspect that I would have completely forgotten about TB and MO if not for Tim's fanaticism early last year (which included putting little TB logos at the top of an overhead for a speech in English!).

As for other bands/composers that I also listen to ... no others that I'm as fanatical about as MO, but my CD collection ranges from JS Bach and Mozart (and numerous other classical composers) to MO, Rick Wakeman, Emerson Lake and Palmer and Sky (which is somewhat more esoteric than the others that I've mentioned).

Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 15:12

I have to admit i'm one of those people who first heard Mike's music on an informercial for "Pure Moods". but it was that 10 or 15 seconds of Tubular Bells that got me hooked. This was about '95 or '96.

After hearing longer excerpts of Tubular Bells from the movie, "The Exorcist" i became more amazed. I soon later bought the actual CD of TB and was astounded. I found myself rather obsessed with that piece of music, especially when learning to play it on the piano: Practicing hours on end, sometimes until my hands cramped up. This was the beginning of my interest in his music.

Then 2nd CD i got was Tubular Bells 2 and i had gotten this one because i had been so satisfied with the first one. Again i was glad with my purchase.

For Christmas and b-day presents i asked for Mike Oldfield music, not really knowing what his other music sounded like. TSODE and Voyager really opened me up to some of his other music styles, and again i was amazed and satisfied.

Over the years i began to buy more of his CDs, just to listen to what i had been missing out on for all these years.

I bought TB3 when i went to London back in '99 (since it wasn't available in the USA). I think it was after that album that i became more interested in his music and his life. I began looking up his biography and found out what kind of life he had been leading. Quite an interesting man.

I think that more of his modern or recent music has been my favorite. Although i was impressed with the original TB (and OTB), i found that i didn't really like some of his other longer pieces as much (although i like Incantations quite a bit).

There's still quite a bit of his music that i haven't heard, and i'm trying to resist the temptation of using Napster (although i broke down for The Millenium Bell...don't worry i'm gonna buy the album next time i'm in Europe smile)

MO's music is the most listened of all my CDs, and oddly enough its the only one of its kind. I haven't really found any other artists like MO that i've enjoyed listening to their music.

I look forward to the future and what his music will become.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 17:21

About 5 years ago, my dad owned only TB1 & 2. That was it. He was one of those people who got hooked on TB1 when it first came out. But back then the internet didn't make his CDs available to everyone, so he couldn't collect any more (he got into Pink Floyd instead haha).

But he would lay the CDs in conspicous places (by the computer, in the CD player, etc). I was hearing TB1 and 2 in the background for years, but never knew what it was. It caught my ear. Dad never said a word about it either. I'd also seen the cover of TB2. There was something about that twisted pipe that made the CD seem evil ("The Forbidden Music"). Finally, my curiosity and rebellious nature overcame me, and TB2 became the first MO CD that I consciously heard!

Why did I like it? Because, it was different from all the other stuff I had ever heard. For some reason, I could never get into the rap and heavy metal groups that are popular here in the States. Country sounds aweful to my ears (it was popular where I used to live...which is where all this happened). Classical...ehhh...too boring to me. I had no music to listen to at all, with the exception of 2 Shadowfax CDs. I could've gotten more into Shadowfax, but there was no drive. But when I heard TB2, I was hooked! It didn't sound at all like anything that was popular here in the states, and that's what I liked about it!

Unlike what most of what's popular here, TB2 has structure, organization, form, texture and--most important--soul! The music actually sounded like it had meaning! It didn't sound shallow or hollow! I hadn't heard that from anything else popular!

TB1 followed. Ironically, I thought it was weak until I listened to it a second time! Then, I set out to get all his CDs! That's a goal I've met! I haven't found a single bad CD! In fact, I'm listening to Discovery right now! hahaha. I'm a true fanatic now (anyone who likes HO, EM and Discovery AND has danced to The Source of Secrets and TMB--the title track--has to be a fan hahaha)! And it only took 5 years of gradual building :-).

For Christmas that same year, my parents bought Voyager and TSODE. The difference between just those four CDs was astonishing! I had one for every mood! haha. I decided to try some of Mike's "rejected" lyric albums and make my own decision. Discovery and Platinum followed soon after. Amazing! I loved the lyric tracks! It was that CD that convinced me that Mike could write songs! Platiuum was everything! Rockin', exciting, sad and zany!!

Next Christmas, I got TB3 and Boxed. Oh yeah, great! I loved the new spin Mike put on the TB theme. Heregst Ridge (the opening sequences) was simply magic! Hearing this power beginning brought a tear to my eye...no, it really did!

After that came TMB, Crises, FMO and Amarok. Taurus 2 was happy, and bouncy. I liked that a lot. Crises was rockin'!! Appealed to my heavy-metal self wink. I didn't like TMB when I first heard it. I had to listen to it under headphones before I really enjoyed it. TMB was the one CD that converted both my parents to Mike Oldfield fans, too! TMB remains one of their most listened to CDs of MINE they steal from me. Amarok disappointed me the first time I heard it...but ONLY in the respect that it didn't sound crazy to me eek. I still love it!

Up next I got EM, HO and Guitars. Guitars surprised me! I wondered how he could pull off making a CD in only 3 or 4 months from just guitar sounds! I was impressed! EM and HO, to my amazment, were greatly under rated!!! I couldn't understand why EM and HO got such low ratings! As you guessed though, I like them because they're still different from what the rest of my country listens to. The CDs have plenty of soul. If you heard the manufactured, "assembly-line" music of the States, you know what I mean by that.

Finally, my last three were Islands, QE2 and Incantations. I think Incantations is a welcome change. The fact that the tunes stay almost in one spot for so long is a nice change from his fast-paced tunes constantly changing in other CDs. It's his instrumentalist style at its finest! QE2 is also a happy work! Islands is MO song-writing at his best (topped only by EM) biggrin.

Thus, I like Mike because he's different from everyone else. No matter what he's done, he always manages to do it differently from everyone else, and differently each time he does it!!! THAT'S what draws me to what he does. This SVR thing is different. Thus, I'm drawn to it, too. I hope this sheds some light on where my opions are coming from.

My story is done. *steps of the soapbox*

Good day.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 18:44

I saw the Edimburgh TB2 concert on TV. I was hypnotized. Literally. I bought the CD and I was EXTREMELY fascinated by it. It was only after learning to play extended sections of TB2 on my keyboard that I decided to listen what that original and much-talked-about TB was like. At the first listening it sounded equally fascinating and hypnotizing but a bit dated [and it still does...sorry smile].

Then for a period I bought nothing by MO except his new releases (I didn't buy TSODE when it came out, because I have a PC and the non-viewability of its CD-ROM track disappointed me). I bought Voyager and my first impression was: strange, but marvelous. [I didn't know about Enya back then...now it doesn't sound strange anymore.]

What made me buy his complete discography? THESE FORUMS!!!!!!!!! smile smile I was looking for a good MO site, I came here by chance, I clicked on Tubular Forums, I read people's messages talking about how good HR, Inc., Ommadawn, QE2 etc. were and I decided to check for myself...and I realized that they were right!! biggrin

But it was only after buying Amarok that I became a really devoted Oldfieldian. I fell madly in love with Amarok after its first full listening, and I still am.

Then I bought Islands...and I found my second-favourite song of all time (Islands).

Mike Oldfield is not the only artist I have a complete discography of, but I'd better not waste any time in specifying all the others... smile I like ALL music, and this, I think, is more than enough.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2001, 23:39

Mike is one of those wonderful musical dudes whose work defies categorization. I like the way he always tries out new things, how his style constantly evolves and changes. With the exception of TB I and II, no two albums of his sound alike. I guess that is why I own all of his albums to date. There are a lot of other artists that I like, but because they produce their music in fundamentally the same way all the time, I usually just get their greatest hits CDs and a couple of their albums.

I suppose the only other ones that I'm really into as much as Mike are Ennio Morricone and Sarah Brightman. I love the way that they blend together different styles and step outside of formula in their approach to music. I think its lovely. That said, I haven't got ALL of their albums so Mike really is still top of the shelf for me. I have only disliked two of his albums ("Heaven's Open" and "The Orchestral Tubular Bells"), and even then I will admit they had their moments.

As for how I got converted, the first thing I had ever heard by Mike was my dad's copy of "TB". I thought it was great but it didn't make me a fan. I was looking in a record shop and my curiousity was aroused when I saw "The Songs Of Distant Earth" and "Tubular Bells II" on special. I was curious, I didn't realise this guy was still making music so I bought em. The modern-ness and prominence of guitar that was unlike TB astounded me. I never thought I'd find anything that could top TB as far as instrumental music went, but I found it in "TSODE". I then sought out "XXV: The Essential Mike Oldfield", and my collection has grown and grown and grown....
Profile PM 
Orbit Dream Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 20:46

I first heard TB back in '73 when my older brother bought it.It baffled me at the time,because it was long(like a symphony)but played with rock instruments.I couldn't understand why.Very soon I grew to love it and listened to it all the time.
I have fantastically great memories of the mid-70's,when Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn were first released,particularly the latter.I loved its folksy,ethnic feel.
Then there was a long wait until Incantations,which was overlong and perhaps too ambitious.But still fascinating,with a tremendous 'strange' atmosphere.
Since then,I have avidly bought all his LPs/CDs as soon as a new one is released,although many disappoint.Earth Moving was dire,IMO.
I think I continue to listen in the hope that i can hear again the briliance and sheer atmospherics that I heard all those years ago in his first three works.TB3 did it in the finale,Amarok did it in various sections.Moments of brilliance and power that keep me coming back,in the hope that he can do it again.
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 09:22

My first experience of Mike (see also "fans who are around 17 years old" in the Fans around the World section) was from my father constantly playing TB2 whenever we went anywhere in the car. I was only 8, so "The Bell" fascinated me, even if I didn't know what the hell a "digital sound processor" was back then. Still, he gave me his copy (on tape from the original CD). I have listened to it time and time again, and still gets better each time. I now have TB, TB2 and TB3 (not to mention Elements and XXV), all 3 bought by my father (2 and 3 from the Hondos Centre in Athens, together about the same price as TB in this country. All printing still in English).

I am studying music in school, and I'll be really surprised if I could compose anything close to the level of Mike's music.

Finally, in answer to the original question - why not?

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
Vill Offline

Posted: April 21 2001, 16:59

I overheard TB on a tannoy system in small shopping mall in Great Yarmouth, asked who it was by, and thought the name 'My Cold Field' was ammusing.

So I kept listening.
Profile PM 
cp Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 11:39

Of course, the obvious answer to "Why Mike?" is ... WHY NOT?
Profile PM WEB 
feverpitch96 Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 23:09

The first thing I knew of Mike was when, as a Fourth Grade primary schoolboy in 1979, I was captivated totally by the music clip the government TV station would show here on occasion, which was a heap of space-exploration footage from the tail end of The Space Movie (for which Mike provided the music) re-edited to make a clip for Incantations IV (Excerpt). I thought it was one of the most brilliant things I'd ever seen on TV; I was really into the space images, and the music seemed to work with them SO well.

It is a sad indictment of the (lack of) coverage most of Mike's career has gotten in this part of the world that it took me another TWELVE YEARS to track down the tune in question! I had no idea it was Mike, who by then I had already long-ago found with Wonderful Land (big here in early 1981 as a single), Moonlight Shadow being such a big Top 40 success here, and the airplay they gave To France as a follow-up, and nobody seemed able to tell me! I remember thinking that one of the reasons I liked Wonderful Land so much was that it sounded, in some ways, so much like that wonderful mystery piece of music I already knew from that space clip...but still, it took until 1991 to make the connection! Sad or what? I ventured into buying Mike's albums for the first time in 1992, with...of course..."Incantations". And the rest? Well, it's about the atmosphere of the music. It's something quite unique...an overused word, but absolutely appropriate when we're discussing Mr Mike Oldfield.
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: May 21 2001, 05:57

I also like stuff like Kraftwerk, Vangelis and JMJ (drop the weapons NOW!), but my collections are not as vast (I have 3 VP albums, 4 by JMJ, 5 by MO and ½ of KW - I've heard Computer World but it's not mine, I've also heard a number of other KW tracks but not original recordings). Someone I met recently is the first one I've met in real reality (that is, I'veg met him personally) to like this sort of music. He is also a musician. Now there's a thought. See my new topic "The average Mike Oldfield fan"

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2002, 22:07

Well, my dad had had Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge (and FMO, Crises) for a while, when we decided to get the Tubular Bells II/III DVD. Woo Hoo!!!! THat's how I discovered Mike. Before then, I didn't know he was still making music today. I suppose I still listen to Mike because I don't like Britany or 5ive, or any of those other 'pop' artists. I do, however, love other music, such as Yes, Rick Wakeman, Moby and Harry Chapin. However, as anyone who has read my post in 'do fan's expect to much' will know, I think that I like Mike because I just do! THere isn;t any reason except that his music seems to trigger off something in our brains or wherever that says "good music!" Funny, Isn't it? (No tongue)

Visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 11:19

I first heard Tubular Bells in the early eighties when my brother would play it day after day. Right from the start I was hooked and started to get a tape for myself and then but all the albums in sequence.

Ommadawn was the one that made me an MO fanatic - it's still my favourite. Then I bought all that came out until 1988. I was crazy over the FM), Crises, Discovery period and went to the Wembley concert. But when Earth Moving came out I went off his music. It was in 1988 that I moved to Singapore to work and didn't listen to Mike's music until 1999. It was only then that I rediscovered Mike! I bought TSODE tape and thought 'Hey! There's still something worth listening to in his music' and when I got TBII, that was it! I was hooked again. I now have updated myself with all his CDs (rather costly as they are not readily available in Singapore.

Amarok is a treasure I have recently found and listen to it much - I hated it at first, but am growing to love it. TB111 is one i'n listening to a lot at the moment and love the 'above the clouds' feel to it.

Well, that's it for now...

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 02 2002, 05:03

i first heard my dad playing Tubular bells. I played it more. i saw that we had other stuff by him. i played those. now we have pretty much all of his albums.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 08 2007, 03:22

I knew there had to be a topic such as this, so I've unearthed it from the depths.

From the age of about 14 (that would have been around 1982) onwards, I used to spend a lot of time in my brother's room foraging through his LP collection. He had several hundred, but I was really into his Roxy Music, Steeleye Span, Hollies, Beatles, Sparks, Al Di Meola, and 10cc in those days. I recall seeing 'Ommadawn' in there, but it didn't call out to me. I have a vague recollection of another sibling playing a section from part one for me, saying "Hey, check out this guitarwork." I think I was suitably impressed, but didn't feel a need to hear more. A few years later, I was having a rough time in both school and at home and turned to the classical albums in the collection - Beethoven's 9th symphony and Elgar's cello concerto to name a couple - as a balm to my emotional turmoil. I think it was around then that I decided I was intrigued enough by the pensive cover (and sleevenotes) on 'Ommadawn' to give it a thorough listen. It's probably a bit cliche to say, but it was cathartic for me. I've been a bit obsessed with the album ever since. Strangely, though, I didn't seek out any of Mike's other works. But that may have something to do with his lack of media exposure here. I did sample my brother's copy of 'Tubular Bells', but decided it wasn't for me. When I started to buy my own records, it was Ultravox, The Smiths, Kate Bush, Joe Jackson, Prefab Sprout, Game Theory, etc, and - later on - Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Saint:Saens, Rossini, and Gilbert & Sullivan.

By chance, I happened to catch the 'Tubular Bells II' performance in Edinbourgh on my PBS station. It was my first exposure to that piece and I was utterly enthralled. I must have gotten the cd soon after, but - again - I didn't search out other works. So, it was some years later that I acquired my next MO cds - 'The Best of Mike Oldfield: Elements' (single disc edition) and 'Guitars'. I enjoyed them, but only a few of the tracks really caught my attention, so they didn't get frequent play.

I have to thank the internet, actually, for revealing that there is a wealth of Mike Oldfield out there. Amazon.com was an eye-opener, for there I found what appeared to be dozens of MO cds. In fact, the selection was quite daunting. The reviews helped me to choose several albums, but as far as listening to them, I merely dipped my toe, then set them aside.

While at YouTube one day, I searched for Oldfield videos and came across footage from the Montreux concert. That was the catalyst for my recent discovery, rediscovery, and appreciation of Mike's music. It also indirectly led me to this community which has been very helpful to me. I now have about fifteen MO cds, and after a friend commented on the quantity, I replied "Oh, but I don't have them all!"

It seems strange, now, that it took me such a long time to thoroughly explore these works. In fact, I've lately been remonstrating myself for being a ninnyhammer all these years while I could have been enjoying Mike's wonderful music! So, I've been playing catch-up these past few months and enjoying every moment. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 08 2007, 04:10

Good on you for bringing these old threads out of the woodwork, they are an enjoyable read.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 08 2007, 14:53

There is quite a lot of interest in the back pages, and I spent way too much time yesterday being entertained by such discussions as...

* what sort of drinks go well with each album
* step by step MO-conversion techniques such as the painless stealth method and the more violent 'Let's Start With Amarok' approach
* a Mike Oldfield city complete with Crises Tower and a Blue Saloon
* pilgrimages to Hergest Ridge
* making tubular bell icons with paper clips
* and more than one topic on whether or not Mike is God, a god, a demi-god, Jesus Christ, or better-than-God.

Gave me quite a few good chuckles. :)

I forgot to mention that my first exposure to "Moonlight Shadow" was actually on an Annie Haslam (from Renaissance) solo album. This was around 1990 and before I'd gotten 'The Best of Mike Oldfield: Elements' cd. At the time, I thought "Oh, what a lovely song". Reading the fine print, I realized it was credited to Mike (or perhaps 'M.' ?) Oldfield. "Mike Oldfield writes pop songs?" I thought. "'Ommadawn' Mike Oldfield?? No way!". LOL

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 08 2007, 15:10

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 08 2007, 08:22)
A few years later, I was having a rough time in both school and at home and turned to the classical albums in the collection - Beethoven's 9th symphony and Elgar's cello concerto to name a couple - as a balm to my emotional turmoil.

Interesting, that. From the day I first heard Hergest Ridge in about 1979, I've always associated Mike Oldfield with the English composers I love - and Elgar particularly, I think for two reasons.

First, he draws on a tradition of Englishness in music - partly the folk influence (a lot more notable in Vaughan Williams than Elgar), but also because there's an indefinable Englishness running through so much of the music. I'm sure there's a technical explanation for this in terms of certain types of harmony and cadence - I don't know what they are. I just know that I hear it and respond to it.

Second, Elgar too was a troubled soul, and his music covers a spectrum that stretches from brash, over-the-top confidence to delicate, almost painful expressions of longing and uncertainty - the kind of emotional range that I hear in MO all the time.
Profile PM 
43 replies since Feb. 15 2001, 03:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net