Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: WHY!?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2005, 17:05

I think that the majorty of us agree on the fact that Amarok is (on of) Mike's work so why has it on reached no.49 in the charts???

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 17:41

At least it made the top 50!! even though it was for 1 week. Still it did better than the Killing Fields which peaked at number 94 in the charts i believe? (Which was also a travesty!!;)  :(

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 18:06

Why, are you asking? Because it is uncommercial. Mike made it deliberately uncommercial. Who would have ever thought of buying a CD containing only one piece, 60 minutes long and very chaotic :), except for hardcore Mike fans? ;) I think they were the only ones who bought it when it was originally released, and maybe even them were a bit perplexed by it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 20 2005, 18:39

Number 49 is one place higher than Tubular Bells 2003 - proof that if commercial success is important to Mike in the future, he should revisit Amarok instead of Tubular Bells ;)
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 20:34

I haven't read any reviews of Amarok that were written when it was released, but if he released it now he would most likely be absolutely savaged by the music press. For most people at least, Amarok needs a few listens to really grow on you (or a whole lot more than that), and music reviewers can't generally spend that amount of time on an album. If I had tried to review it after two listens, it probably would have got an average rating at best. The other problem with Amarok is that there are no pieces you can pull from it to put on the radio or MTV. Probably Amarok is the least commercial album I own.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 21 2005, 17:40

Quote (raven4x4x @ April 21 2005, 02:34)
Probably Amarok is the least commercial album I own.

Me too Raven...but also the best!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 15:11

hmmmmmm, revisiting amarok? not sure im ready for that yet! lol  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 23 2005, 07:30

Quote (raven4x4x @ April 20 2005, 20:34)
Probably Amarok is the least commercial album I own.

Are you sure? I don't wish to go off topic here, but I can see the benefit of starting another thread.  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 24 2005, 15:50

I tried very hard to like this album, over many listenings, but the Margaret Thatcher impersonator ruins it for me. I feel it's a total intrusion, and that Mike was taking the piss out of his fans.
Zander Offline

Posted: May 10 2005, 11:23

I love Amarok, and I've got used to the various intrusions. To me that's what it's about--the irritations that get in the way of Mike doing his own individual thing, and the people who try to tell him what sort of music he should be making, and the people who take it upon themselves to "explain" his music to the rest of us. The anger in that album, and its ultimate release, is completely cathartic. I just hope it was for him.

Of course, I may be completely off the beam...

Hi, by the way.

Zander
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 10 2005, 15:02

I must be one of the few who was not surprised the first time they heard the Thatcher in "Amarok".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 11 2005, 04:25

Quote (hiawatha @ May 10 2005, 15:02)
I must be one of the few who was not surprised the first time they heard the Thatcher in "Amarok".

I wasn't surprised either - I'd read all about it here first!  Heh.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 11 2005, 13:38

I heard samples

Just listened to the whole thing again. Might be my age, but Janet Brown sounded much more intrusive than I remember before - particularly the dancing bit. The speech works better with the African chants
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: May 20 2005, 16:01

Quote (familyjules @ May 11 2005, 04:25)
Quote (hiawatha @ May 10 2005, 15:02)

I wasn't surprised either - I'd read all about it here first!

Hehehehe! The same here :D

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 21 2005, 09:42

and the new question is how did you discover amarok??

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 21 2005, 17:02

I'd suggest starting another topic for a new question - it can get terribly confusing otherwise!
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 26 2005, 17:11

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 21 2005, 17:02)
I'd suggest starting another topic for a new question - it can get terribly confusing otherwise!

good idea

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2005, 12:00

Quote (TanGram @ April 24 2005, 15:50)
I tried very hard to like this album, over many listenings, but the Margaret Thatcher impersonator ruins it for me. I feel it's a total intrusion, and that Mike was taking the piss out of his fans.

I do indeed love Amarok - all the way up until that part. Just can't get myself into it. Geez, to truly love around 55 minutes of continuous, glorious music and be utterly disappointed in the ending. Forgive me all you Amarokians out there, but the ending causes me to transform into another cloth eared nincompoop!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2005, 20:37

I loved Amarok from the first time I heard it, I thought, WOW, this is brilliant and different, everything I could ever want in an album. The jumps in volume took a little getting use to, I had it turned up loud to start off with and thought I would lose an ear drum occasionally, and I thought Maggie was a little naff at first but vividly remember having a huge smile on my face as it went on. It wouldn't be Amarok without her. I am curious though whether Mike intended for it to be uncommercial, he may have recorded it knowing it would be uncommercial but intending for it is different again, unless as someone said, it was a swipe at Virgin and Branson which has definitely been said many times. If you read Mikes interview in the Dark Star thread, (3rd post in) he talks about Amarok, and how it might have sold better if he had called it TBII but after reading Korgscrews post I doubt even that is true. I think one of the reasons it is liked so much is because it is so unlike TB, not saying that people don't like TB but that it's exciting to get two such different and so unique works from the same artist. With every other album you can probably make some comparison with another, but not these two.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 13:02

Quote (TanGram @ April 24 2005, 20:50)

You have to find the purity in between all of the impurities, difficult to explain but if you are able to pick out just one or two instruments and what they are playing, Amarok is beautiful all the way through!  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
20 replies since April 20 2005, 17:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net