Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who plays the solos in "Shadow on the Wall" ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arkpandora Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 08 2008, 10:09

Hi,

Does anyone know who plays the two guitar solos in "Shadow on the Wall" : is it Mike alone, Mike with Ant, or Ant alone ?  The first solo is at 02:11-23 and the second appears in the long version only at 4:16-27 approximately.

Thank you for any enlightenment !
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 12:06

Me !!

.... and alone :cool:

We have a mini heat wave in Britain right now, think it's going to my head a bit and all this plump pink blossom.  :)

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 12:56

Great : that's exactly the answer I didn't expect.

I may well become a honeybee too when I get tired of being a score-rat.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 16:38

:D

Sorry, I was bit naughty there........

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 16:55

As far as I know, it's Mike who plays both solos. I don't have the CD handy right now, but I think that Ant is just rhythm.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 10:39

Thanks for your replies.

I too think that Mike plays both solos.  But I'm not a guitarist, I'm not so sure about the rising at 4:20-25 in the extended version, and a friend of mine (who's guitarist but less used to Mike Oldfield) thinks that they show a different technique than Mike's usual technique.
Profile PM 
Fredde Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 17:17

I do see where the question comes from, it's not a super typical oldfield solo(in my opinion, at least...). Looking at this strange video, it looks like they play it together, but that's probably just for show. I'd go with Mike on both. It definitely has something oldfield-ish about it. :P
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 17:57

Watch the video on Elements DVD.   Its a very MO sound but overdubbed.  Live  - overdubbing is tricky - even for chaps like Mike would are on the good side of average ;)  - so someone else has to play one of the lines.

Ray  :cool:

PS in the video you will see a nice looking Gibson Les Paul Junior TV.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 18:06

I never saw that alternate video before.  It would have been SO COOL if they had used a burning Wicker Man behind them!

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 11:54

I have never seen that video before.Looks better than the orginal which is frankly cheap looking.This one looks cheap too to be fair but it is cooler.As for who played the solos they are definatley both Mike.You can hear the double tracking as the overdub deliberately isn't 100% accurate but they wouldn't have been played live in the studio as he played them both.Unless he has a clone that is.Ant only played rhythm on it.
 The extended version solo is also Mike although it has a wierd guitar synthish sound and there is a whammy bar at play i suspect which would have been one of the 2 strats ('Pink Strat'  and the sunburst one).Funnily enough the guitar in the video isn't one i've ever seen him with before.It looks like it's had the pick-ups replaced which was very common at the time as everyone went nuts for customising (or butchering depending on your point of view)and when DiMarzio bought out the replacement pick-ups everyone had to have them.
 Don't see your's in there Ray although i hear it on the original and as you say it's in the usually seen vid.And what do you mean "on the good side of average"?The man's a god on the guitar!!!! ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 14:25

Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 15 2008, 17:54)
 Don't see your's in there Ray

Have a look at the video at 1:11 and 2:38 and you will see Ray's guitar.

By the way, I can see a very nice SG used by Mike for the solo...
:D :cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 14:31

That's the original video.I was talking about the alternative one on YouTube.But your's and Ray's Gibson are in the original along with some bloody awful 'Mike tries to look moody and all Heavy Metal' moments :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
11 replies since May 08 2008, 10:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net