Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who is this?, A quiz for you all!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 17:47

I vaguely remember hearing the name Russell Morris connected to a slightly weird song in the Seventies called "The Real Thing". I've actually heard the song only once, it sounded to me like a late take on Sixties psychedelia. But his main genre is folk rock, isn't it? ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 21:01

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 23 2010, 22:10)
Quote (milamber @ Sep. 23 2010, 08:43)
Did you run that through a program like Tune Up or are you really that good :laugh:  :D
And yes thats Aussie legend Russel Morris.

He deserved to be more successful than he was. This, I think, is his best song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGnn7_7Rxwk

Yes, I'm old enough to remember this one, It was at the end of the Vietnam war in the hippy days.
My personal favourite though was "Real thing" It got thrashed by my surfie mates at the time.    :)

Edit; A lot of things seem wierd from that era Ugo, eg platform shoes, purple flares and paisley    :/
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 22:46

He changed genres at whim. "The Girl that I Love", for example, is very syrupy middle of the road. And yes, he is responsible for "The Real Thing", although that has always seemed to me to have an attention-seeking quality about it (I prefer its sequel, "Into Paper Walls"). But he did a handful of songs I like. "Mr America" is another song I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132SpoKfleU
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 10:08

A few years ago our lead singer (not the one in the videos) at the time was dating Russel's daughter according to him she was the real thing :D

True story.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 00:39

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 25 2010, 10:08)
A few years ago our lead singer (not the one in the videos) at the time was dating Russel's daughter according to him she was the real thing :D

True story.

Presumably he's now gone to live with friends.  :D
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2010, 02:13

Hey I won Yaaaaayyyhh :p

What song of Mikes mentions two other song tittles in the Lyrics?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2010, 06:47

Quote (milamber @ Oct. 01 2010, 08:13)

"No Dream" from Heaven's Open. "Shadow on the Wall" and "The Time Has Come" are quoted within it, and there's also a "Wild Goose".

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2010, 01:26

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 01 2010, 20:47)

"No Dream" from Heaven's Open. "Shadow on the Wall" and "The Time Has Come" are quoted within it, and there's also a "Wild Goose".

Heavens Open for Heavens Sake :D

I am so sure no one will get this Including Ugo (sheesh I may as well award him 2011 Tublarian of the Year already and be done with it) that I'm willing to surrender my earlier prize of a rare Oldfield track if any one know this.

No software cheating either!

The Final Mystery :D

One clue : For a very brief time this was played to thousands each week and coincided with a change from Yellow to White.

Oh and the Goose was flying there is no proof it was actually flapping its wings , so partial credit only :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2010, 06:34

Quote (milamber @ Oct. 02 2010, 01:26)
Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 01 2010, 20:47)

Heavens Open for Heavens Sake :D

I am so sure no one will get this Including Ugo (sheesh I may as well award him 2011 Tublarian of the Year already and be done with it) that I'm willing to surrender my earlier prize of a rare Oldfield track if any one know this.

No software cheating either!

The Final Mystery :D

One clue : For a very brief time this was played to thousands each week and coincided with a change from Yellow to White.

Oh and the Goose was flying there is no proof it was actually flapping its wings , so partial credit only :laugh:

I don't know the answer, but the clues you've given suggest it's promotional music for a football match!  :D  (I don't follow the football)

Or it could be an outtake from a recording sessions by Asia (remember them)....

Or the flipside to "Eye of the Tiger" (whoever did that)....

But i
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2010, 14:07

@ Milamber: some sections remind me a lot of Rondò Veneziano but I'm pretty sure it's not, considering the prominent electric guitar. So... I have no idea. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2010, 07:27

Ugo@ In a tiny house in Melbourne you could hear Mrs Milamber cry "Camerons Fainted " :)

Considering its a bit dated did either of you guys actually like it?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2010, 08:51

Quote (milamber @ Oct. 03 2010, 07:27)
Ugo@ In a tiny house in Melbourne you could hear Mrs Milamber cry "Camerons Fainted " :)

Considering its a bit dated did either of you guys actually like it?

It wasn't bad. Have heard worse. So out with it: what was it?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2010, 20:19

@ Milamber: I do like it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 01:27

You may not after you find out it was this.

The first record produced by the W.W.F .
This song for a few weeks replaced Real American as Hulk Hogans entrance music to promote the album .
The Yellow/White is a costume change reference.

The song is Hulk Hogans Theme by Jim Steinman :cool: :zzz:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 03:17

Quote (milamber @ Oct. 04 2010, 01:27)
You may not after you find out it was this.

The first record produced by the W.W.F .

The World Wildlife Fund??? WTF is WWF?  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 05:46

@ milamber: I do like it. :D  I love Steinman, and I should've guessed it was him - the combination of strings-based orchestrations with heavy electric guitars is so typical of him. And however Nightspore was right, in saying that it was promotional music for a sports event (not football, though :D). Are there other instrumental pieces on that record? If yes, where can I find it? :cool:

@ Nightspore: WWF used to be the World Wrestling Federation. In the early 2000s they changed their name to WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) to avoid confusion with the World Wildlife Fund. That's funny. :)

Oh, by the way: if you're not hardcore fans of this band (yes, it's a band) I don't think you'll ever recognize this. [The segued-from-the-previous-track start and the abrupt ending are exactly like that on the original disc.]

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 06:23

Unfortunately that from memory is the only Instrumental track ,I believe Steinman wrote other tracks but they all had WWF now E stars singing on them and were comedy based.
There was also a cover of Land of a thousand dances and Cara Mia  :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 07:35

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 04 2010, 05:46)
@ Nightspore: WWF used to be the World Wrestling Federation. In the early 2000s they changed their name to WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) to avoid confusion with the World Wildlife Fund. That's funny. :)

It certainly is. Images present themselves of a bewildered looking David Attenburgh joining accidentally and then, clad only in shorts, being pushed into the ring to be tied in knots by Morris the Mauler!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 08:00

@ milamber: thanks for the info, I found that on Wikipedia. Steinman only wrote (and performed) that track. Well, I shall keep your mp3. :)

@ nightspore: I agree. :D Any attempt at my Mystery 4 track? If you were not a child in the early nineties (which I assume you weren't) you should remember it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2010, 08:42

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 04 2010, 08:00)
@ nightspore: I agree. :D Any attempt at my Mystery 4 track? If you were not a child in the early nineties (which I assume you weren't) you should remember it. :)

There was a long period where I stopped listening to popular music - and your clip clearly derives from that period. I have no idea who it is, unfortunately.
Profile PM 
177 replies since Sep. 18 2010, 15:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net