[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who is this?, A quiz for you all!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2011, 20:20

Quote (HR lover @ April 05 2011, 13:43)
Ok I've heard of AC/DC I even know how they got their name. I'm glad it wasn't some obscure Glaswegian band.

... As HRlover implies  :laugh:
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 07:37

:laugh:

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 06 2011, 18:50

@Ugo I'm guessing either Melbourne or Italy (Have they ever toured there?).

If you look at Australian TV/Radio in the 60's we sounded like England in the 40's  :laugh:

Actually read a story recently about The Queens English, apparently over the entire world it's New Zealand (And it's strict uncles) that now speaks English better than anyone else.

The video clip for AccaDacca's Long Way to the Top was shot on the streets of Melbourne .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0I9WKWp44

Actually as a kid we used to sing It's a long way to the shop If you want a sausage roll
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 18:55

Quote (Milamber @ April 06 2011, 18:50)
If you look at Australian TV/Radio in the 60's we sounded like England in the 40's  :laugh:

Actually read a story recently about The Queens English, apparently over the entire world it's New Zealand (And it's strict uncles) that now speaks English better than anyone else.

:laugh:  :laugh:

With regard to Oz presenters not sounding Australian in the 1960s, I heard somewhere that this was intentional: presenters were coached so that the "ugly" Australian accent wouldn't be apparent.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 19:04

Thought so Nightspore.
I have been watching Prisoner lately on Pay TV.

This show was made in 1979 ,they also sound SO English.

Ugly accent... STREUTH  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 20:25

Quote (Milamber @ April 06 2011, 19:04)
Thought so Nightspore.
I have been watching Prisoner lately on Pay TV.

This show was made in 1979 ,they also sound SO English.

Ugly accent... STREUTH  :laugh:

Not to be confused with sixties show The Prisoner, where Patrick McGoohan does not play a character called "vinegar tits"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 07 2011, 09:11

@ Milamber: yes, they've toured here quite often. But that interview bit wasn't recorded in Italy - indeed, it's part of a song. :) Also, I don't think it's true that New Zealand speaks English better than the rest of the world: Peter Jackson is from there, and he's got narrow E's - he says "friend" to rhyme with "wind" rather than with "lend". :D BTW, thanks very much for posting that video - you reminded me to take my Family Jewels DVD off the shelf, which I haven't done for quite a while. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 07 2011, 22:17

Quote (Ugo @ April 07 2011, 09:11)
@ Milamber: yes, they've toured here quite often. But that interview bit wasn't recorded in Italy - indeed, it's part of a song. :) Also, I don't think it's true that New Zealand speaks English better than the rest of the world: Peter Jackson is from there, and he's got narrow E's - he says "friend" to rhyme with "wind" rather than with "lend". :D BTW, thanks very much for posting that video - you reminded me to take my Family Jewels DVD off the shelf, which I haven't done for quite a while. :)

Yes, take your family jewels off the shelf, Ugo, or Vicki might get hold of them.  :)
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: April 09 2011, 08:02

@Ugo I confess I have no idea on the song tittle sorry.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 09 2011, 14:41

@ Milamber: it's from the end of "Ride On". The version of it featured on the Bonfire box set includes various interview excerpts after the proper song has finished.

@ nightspore: Vicky does indeed love running after balls, but she wouldn't dare to touch those. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: May 05 2011, 10:23

New mystery?????

Mystery Song

Love those Drums :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 05 2011, 23:39

Something you've played on...?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 06 2011, 19:28

A powerful song that's born, grows and dies within 1 minute and 22 seconds??? :) It must surely be one of your weird soundtrack pieces, Cam. Maybe Dune again? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: May 06 2011, 22:20

Ugo I thought you would have it nicks zt
Rumors are they are a world renowned band
Not trying to take the Mick outta anyone
Coming off the back o the Buckingham palace wedding
Being the tittle track an all oh well most people know the seven wonders
:D
No little lies there
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 06 2011, 23:17

Quote (Milamber @ May 06 2011, 22:20)
Ugo I thought you would have it nicks zt
Rumors are they are a world renowned band
Not trying to take the Mick outta anyone
Coming off the back o the Buckingham palace wedding
Being the tittle track an all oh well most people know the seven wonders
:D
No little lies there

Oh, The Eagles. Why didn't you say so  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 07 2011, 07:56

OK, enough clues for me to get it. :D Final section of "Tango in the Night" from Fleetwood Mac's 1987 album with the same title. :D I''ve got that album (on vinyl and CD) but I'm not exactly familiar with the title track as I usually don't like Fleetwood Mac stuff sung by Lindsey Buckingham, I prefer the girls' voices. The only exception is "Don't Stop". :)

P.S.: I guess it would've been hard to find a pun on Christine McVie's name, wouldn't it? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 07 2011, 08:15

Quote (Ugo @ May 07 2011, 07:56)
I usually don't like Fleetwood Mac stuff sung by Lindsey Buckingham, I prefer the girls' voices.

You probably won't like this then, Ugo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nLiQBV6A7c

He's drinking blue liquid, just like in Blake's Seven  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 07 2011, 08:48

@ nightspore: Indeed I don't - even if only slightly. :) Lindsey Buckingham has an oddly dated way of singing which makes even brand-new songs sound old... maybe it's because of the effects that are always applied on his voice, but I guess it's got more to do with the voice itself. :D Also, that particular song is a bit too poppy for me - even for a 'popper' like me, something can become too pop for me to like it. :p

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 07 2011, 09:39

Quote (Ugo @ May 07 2011, 08:48)
@ nightspore: Indeed I don't - even if only slightly. :) Lindsey Buckingham has an oddly dated way of singing which makes even brand-new songs sound old... maybe it's because of the effects that are always applied on his voice, but I guess it's got more to do with the voice itself. :D Also, that particular song is a bit too poppy for me - even for a 'popper' like me, something can become too pop for me to like it. :p

Too poppy? If I didn't know better, Ugo, I'd say someone has taken your place!  :laugh:

I quite like it, actually - for once a song has happy memories for me  :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 07 2011, 10:07

Quote (nightspore @ May 07 2011, 15:39)
Too poppy? If I didn't know better, Ugo, I'd say someone has taken your place!  :laugh:

What I mean is that "Holiday Road", especially the chorus, sounds to me almost like a deliberate attempt to be too pop. Of course making a pop song is a deliberate act in itself, as pop is a genre. But the way that song is built, the way it's sung, gives to me the impression that it's trying to be "more pop than pop" - that it's trying to exceed the conventions of formulaic pop by going way beyond them (even now I have no idea whether I've explained myself clearly). I'm not sure what year it's from, but I bet it's from the Eighties, where "excessive pop"  reigned in the charts all over the world. :) Right now there's Bruno Mars who does that pretty much constantly [even if he is so good that he may well be forgiven! :)], and even the "King of Pop" Michael Jackson occasionally fell in that trap, on a few album tracks.

--------------
Profile PM 
177 replies since Sep. 18 2010, 15:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net