Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Which organ where?, Organs in TB and HR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 13 2004, 18:48

I had a look at past messages in this forum. Many of them are of great interest to me now as a writer of MO covers!

I have a question that I don't believe has been asked before: On TB Mike used Farfisa and Lowery organs. On HR a Gemini organ was included. I am not sure what these organs sound or look like

Is there a link where I can find out about them? Can someone give me an example of where the organs are used in both works? Thanks
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 15 2004, 10:33

I had a similar question here some time ago, but the answer seems to be very vague. The lengthy solo at the 5th minute of Tubular Bells, part 2, seems very clearly to be Farfisa organ, to me. Since nobody has ever corrected me, I guess it's right. The Lowrey appears in other places, but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now. The Gemini organ... well, you got me, now. Perhaps it is the whiny organ sound that appears on Hergest Ridge part 2, after the first vocals, followed by bass?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: April 30 2004, 12:17

A quick google shows that the Gemini organ were made by GEM, which was later bought by General Music (who also owned Elka - which made string machines that were used on Crises, I think). They had a series of organs that were cleverly named to incorporate the name of the company, the Gemini is the mini organ in the GEM range.

http://www.combo-organ.com/Gem/

My suspicion is that the Gemini is the staccato organ in the little quiet section just before the thunderstorm section on part two of Hergest Ridge.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 04 2004, 18:17

Thanks Mat!

I've come to the conclusion that the Farfisa plays at the first climax in Part 1 of HR, a rather distorted organ first states the second theme

The Lowery must be the more whistley, pipe-like one that mostly has an accompanying role. In TB Part 1 it occurs in the Blues section with different tracks using different drawbar settings (?). Oddly this organ is avoided and substitued in TB2003. It's one of the few instruments that didn't make it from the original, yet the instrument list says there was a Lowery
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: May 07 2004, 11:29

Then the Lowrey may well have been the organ that David Bedford loaned to Mike whilst he was making his demo.

http://www.lowrey.com/

Looking at it, it's looks like it was more for home playing/ small theatres. It would probably sound more like a pipe organ than the farfisa or the vox continental which both sound quite electronic.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 07 2004, 14:10

I thought it was a Farfisa which Mike recorded his demos with...it certainly sounds like it (and judging by that, a Farfisa Professional). They tend to have quite a flutey/reedy sound. The gemini is similar sounding - I believe the beginning of Hergest Ridge is Gemini organs (two, with the vibrato on, so they beat against each other).

The Lowreys can sound quite electronic too, from what I've heard of them - their modern products are quite far removed from what I think Mike used.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: May 10 2004, 09:41

I may well be completely wrong, I wasn't there for the recordings and I haven't used the real organs. In my experience of Farfisa organ samples, though, they seem to sound rather fuzzy and harsh.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 19:02

It's certainly a Farfisa organ Mike used on the demo tapes of TB. I think Mike used the Farfisa Compact DUO, borrowed from David Bedford (who used it during the Whole World), for the demos of TB. I just listened to the demos on the DVD audio of TB2003.

The Professional is indeed more soft, more flutish. But to my ears the organ on the demos sound more harsh, like the Compact DUO. And I doubt Mike could affort a Farfisa organ at that time, because they were rather expensive (they still are second hand). But I could be wrong and Mike had used a Professional, borrowed or purchased...

Korgie and I are still discussing which Lowrey organ Mike used and where... it's kinda frustating ;) And I'm still wondering if it's a big organ model, like the Hammond, or a compact electric organ like the Farfisa.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Mikelis Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 17:30

Hello :)
This is my first post on this Forum.

I'd like to present of  my list of Mike's Albums in which he used Farfisa, Lowrey, Hammond, other electric organs and the short analysis:

a) TB - in the Intro I hear Farfisa Professional (222) Organ (probably the Sustain Harpsichord voice) and from 4'15'' to 4'43'' Farfisa Compact Duo from a tape. From Fast Guitars (5'55'' ) to Blues (12'30'' ) Mike plays on Farfisa Professional except the time period from 9'12'' to 9'39'' in which is Farfisa Compact Duo from a tape. From about 12'40'' I hear Lowrey with Farfisa Prof. and quite later alone Lowrey with guitars and tubular bells before the Finale. In the Finale of Part 1 Mike plays only on Farfisa Professional.
In Part 2 from the first minute to the middle of this track He use Farfisa Professional (prob. the Flute [or Clarinet] voice).
Lowrey Organ appears in the Peace and Guitar Bagpipes section. Third electric organ - Hammond is used only in the piece after the Caveman (or Piltdown Man) song.
b)HR - Part1: Gemini Organ: from 0'00'' to 8'10''; from 9'30'' to 13'20'' and from 20'40'' to the end. Farfisa Prof. Organ: from 2'08'' tp 4'04'' and from 13'22'' to 20'15'', Lowrey Organ: from 13'22'' to 14'58'' and from 17'41'' to 20'15''.
Part 2: Gemini: from 6'30'' to 9'30'', Farfisa: from 0'03'' to 5'20'' and from 5'58'' to 7'10'' and from 15'35'' to the end. Lowrey: probably from 11'57'' to 14'23''.
c)O - Part1: Lowrey Organ plays on the end of the first section (before the Orchestral Bass Drum and Trumpets); Farfisa Prof. Organ: it plays with the Guitars sounding like the Bagpipes and Bodhran in the part before the famous Ommadawn Finale. In the beginning of the Finale plays other electric organ (maybe Farfisa?) or Mellotron (Bass Flute voice?)
Part2: There are Farfisa and Hammond Organs. Farfisa plays in the first piece (with Accordion, Guitars, Flute). Hammond is audible in the part with Flute, Glockenspiel and El. Guitar of course:) and in the On Horseback song.
d)INC: In the Part1 I hear Farfisa Profesional with the Trumpets and String Orchestra. In the Part2 the same organ plays with El. Guitar, Roland SH2000 and ARP Solina (in piece before the Trumpet which plays The Hymne to Diana). In Part 4 Farfisa is audible in the Ode to Cynthia as the background sound.
e)PLAT: In Part2 called Platinum I hear Farfisa (or Vox Continental) as the background sound which plays with the Electric Guitar and Drums.
f)CRIS: In the Intro Mike uses Farfisa Professional (see inlay card)
g)AMAROK: Mike plays on Farfisa, Lowrey and Vox Cont. Organs in various parts for example: Farfisa is in the Boat piece (with the Piano and African Drums and Glockenspiel)
h)TB2: In Sentinel, Dark Star, The Bell and The Great Plain I hear  Farfisa Professional Organ. In Clear Light, The Sunjammer, Tattoo and Maya Gold I hear l Hammond Organ (see inlay card)
i)VOY: in The Song of The Sun and Dark Island Mike uses electric organ - probably Lowrey Spinet Organ.
j)TB2003: Farfisa Professional appears in: Fast Guitars, Blues, Finale, Caveman; Farfisa Compact Duo (from the tape) is in the Introduction and Latin; Lowrey is in: Latin, Blues, Jazz, Thrash, Peace and Bagpipes Guitars. Hammond appears only in Ambient Guitars.

:)

--------------
Grand Piano
Glockenspiel
Farfisa Organ
Lowrey Organ
Hammond Organ
Roland SH2000
Mellotron
Fairlight C.M.I.
Oberheim OBXa...
... and My Guitar always plays in my dreams
Profile PM 
8 replies since April 13 2004, 18:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net