Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Where would the beginner start?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 17:27

Well, at present I feel like Gandalf standing in front of the gates of Moria, which stubbornly remain sealed no matter what he tries.

Speak, friend, and enter.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 17:30

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 17 2005, 22:27)
Speak, friend, and enter.

Yes, I tried that. But I got a message saying: "Hi Mike. Come in!"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 17:39

Haha, great Alan!

Seriously, when I tried FL for the first time I couldn't get a sound out of it either. The gates will open up in no time if you show a little perseverance.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 08:06

I'm also growing interest in computer music creation since I installed a demo of FruityLoops I found in an old computer magazine's CD. Around two months ago I tried Psycle, an open source program, and I think is nice. And it's free, so if you don't want to buy an expensive program, and don't like piracy, it can be a good solution. It's far from FL, but has enough functions and it's not difficult to use when you get the knack. Though it has some problems, like the difficulty to obtain the exact sound you want from the synthesizers it cames with (but you can use VST modules, which are plugins that follow an standard for music software), the lack of a tool similar to Fruity's "Piano Roll", and the sequencer (playlist) limited to one pattern playing at once (of course, doesn't mean one instrument or note playing at once), though the latter will be changed for the next release. I think it's worth trying.

By the way, I recommend everybody to take a look at sourceforge.net, a place where you can find thousands of open source projects, from the simplest to the most complex, some of them near or better than professional (and expensive) products. If you need some software, that's the best place to start looking. Go to "Projects->Software Map" to search by categories.

So, how is your music going, Alan?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 10:30

Quote (Trinidad @ Jan. 25 2006, 13:06)
So, how is your music going, Alan?

Well, the loss of my hard drive swept away, among other things, my downloaded demo of FL Studio; and I haven't downloaded it again since.

But what was very obvious to me by then was that it was going to take me a lot of long hard committed effort to get to the point of doing anything worthwhile with it. It's not possible merely to dabble. And since I have a number of other (non-musical) projects that I'm already committed to, I felt it was best to leave this one alone.

What I did discover, though, was that I could merely dabble with the Audacity mixing software and the Uru music files (as reported elsewhere); and that's kept me happily occupied in my spare moments recently.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 08:06

Oh, I see, and I know what you mean. Due to some cerebral processes, known in spanish as "culo veo, culo quiero" (it's just an expression, don't get it wrong!;)), I also have had some hobbies related to creation since I bought my computer. And all were difficult, and many times really frustrating, at first. But, though the only hobby I've taken more or less seriously is programming, I'm happy for not having thrown in the towel with the others, cause, going step by step and after many time, but without pressing myself, now I enjoy them, and even get acceptable results.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 11:11

Quote (Trinidad @ Jan. 27 2006, 13:06)
"culo veo, culo quiero"

"I see my bottom, I like my bottom"? I don't understand it!   :/

The trouble is, there's a limit to how many things you can get involved with in a serious way, simply because life's too short. I mean, I'd like to be an expert lion-tamer, mountaineer, novelist, and long-distance runner as well as the things I am already, but.... can't be done.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2006, 09:23

Quote (Alan D @ Jan. 27 2006, 17:11)
Quote (Trinidad @ Jan. 27 2006, 13:06)
"culo veo, culo quiero"

"I see my bottom, I like my bottom"? I don't understand it!   :/

OFFTOPIC -->

Nooo, Alan, you haven't studied hard enough!! ;) There's no "mi" before "culo". It would be "Bottom I see, bottom I want". It's used when everything somebody sees, he wants to have/do it.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2006, 11:07

Quote (Trinidad @ Jan. 31 2006, 14:23)
Nooo, Alan, you haven't studied hard enough!!

That's what all my teachers used to say.

I don't understand what bottoms have got to do with it though, Trinidad? Why would I want 'bottom'?

(No rude responses, please! )
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 08:41

Still degenerating the topic -->

Quote (Alan D @ Jan. 31 2006 @ 17:07)
Why would I want 'bottom'?

That's up to you, of course....

When I say "he wants to have/do it" I mean the thing the person sees (a sweet, a painting, ...), not the bottom of anybody (except if that's the thing he sees). "Bottom" is used because few people will say "Oh, what a bottom I've seen, I want it right now", so the expression is an exageration of a situation.

I hope it's clear now, or admins will ban us  :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 11:38

I don't think we've quite got to the bottom of the topic yet (or should that be 'the topic of the bottom'?). But let's move on.....
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 21:17

Look on Ebay for a copy of Cubasis.  If used to be given away as a bundle software.  But I think there was a version that was about 50 Quid.

This is the older style of sequencing software but it is simple.  You will find you can do midi stuff on it quite easily, try downloading some of the midi files from the tubular.net page and work on them until you know what's what.  I think the later versions also did a few audio tracks.

You may find this starts you off and gets you into the idea of things.  All this fruty stuff can come later as it's very overpowering if you get hit with all that technology and knobs and buttons at once.  I think that the guys who make the software always make it much more complicated for every new version - hence for a begineer it's hard to start.  I started on an atari - with Steinberg, you could probably pick one of those up for about £15 including the steinberg software dongle on ebay.

Having said all that.  What I really suggest is  - Sell your PC and get a MAC - you get garageband free with it!!!!  That is a good starting place.  Ray :/

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 22:34

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 17 2005, 14:34)
Well, at present I feel like Gandalf standing in front of the gates of Moria, which stubbornly remain sealed no matter what he tries.

I feel like that most days...hence my siggy! :)

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
32 replies since Oct. 16 2005, 12:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net