Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Where from here?, What should I listen to next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MC Crayon Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 00:02

I've listened to the original "Tubular Bells" recently.  I love it.  I listen to it all the time now.  I was wondering... to continue to pursue listening to MO's music, what should I listen to next?  The discography is huge, I don't know what are like the "must hear" albums.  Any advice on a comprehensive MO music crash course?
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 05:00

Hi, Crayon!

Since you love original Tubular Bells, you will most likely love Tubular Bells 2 and 3 as well. I would recommend his instrumental albums to start with. Some of his best albums (IMHO) is Ommadawn, The Songs Of Distant Earth and Amarok. Try them and tell us what you think :-)

Best wishes

/ Johan
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 06:17

I'd slightly agree with oldfield_fan, in that Ommadawn is probably one of the best albums to follow Tubular Bells with. Not too sure about Amarok, but then again I'm not the biggest fan of that album - it has its moments but not a great album. I'd personally consider Amarok too difficult an album for someone unfamiliar with Oldfield - no disrespect to anyone, but it's by no means an easy listen (at least for me it isn't, after hearing it quite a number of times too). Something like Five Miles Out is more immediately accessible, and can be used as a way into both the longer instrumental work and the songs of the 80s, while the Songs of Distant Earth, or even Tubular Bells 2, could work in a similar way for the more recent albums.

Then again, these also reflect my own views on Oldfield 'must hears', so these aren't necessarily the ideal albums. Perhaps just going with your instincts - I did that with both Ommadawn and Five Miles Out, based on what little I'd heard on the Complete compilation. It also might depend on tastes - the more pop-orientated albums of the late 80s (such as Earth Moving) might not be as good a proposition as lengthy instrumentals like Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn, as with Tubular Bells. Even the more synth/computer-based approach to albums like the Songs of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells 3 could have different reactions to the more hand-made earlier albums. Anyway, go with your own feelings, try them all, and probably Ommadawn and Five Miles Out, with Songs of Distant Earth and the other TBs as possible options.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 07:35

The thing with Mike Oldfield's music is that there are so many different aspects to it, that people can like one album for different reasons, making it difficult to say for sure that if someone likes one album, they'll like another...

If you like the long instrumental format, then Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn (this one's a big favourite amongst fans), Incantations, Amarok and perhaps Tubular Bells II are the ones to try (actually, Tubular Bells II would seem quite a logical step into Mike's more modern work, for a fan of Tubular Bells). Amarok is definitely one to hear if you like hearing Mike play various wacky instruments, but as Tim says, it's maybe not an easy access work for everyone (I liked it immediately, some people never do...).

If it's more the rock aspects of his work which appeal, then albums like Crises, Five Miles Out and maybe even Discovery would appeal. I personally love QE2's blend of rock and folk (I prefer it to Five Miles Out), but some find it too much of a step in a commercial direction.

If it's the electronic side of Tubular Bells which attracts you, then maybe you'd find some of Mike's more recent electronic works interesting - The Songs of Distant Earth, or perhaps even Islands (and the previously mentioned Tubular Bells II).

There's a selection, anyway...knowing which ones you like will then help you find others. Enjoy the journey...
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 08:17

Well, there are so many albums...
I think, if you're really interrested by Mike, the chronological way is the best to see the evolution of his music... Next to hear : Hergest Ridge ! If you love it, you will love the others !

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
MC Crayon Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 17:53

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.  My aunt has a copy of Tubular Bells II and I am listening to it as we (indirectly) speak.  It is very similar in style to the first one (I'm about seven minutes into it, right now it almost sounds like a music box) and it is great.  I'll try to get a hold of the other ones you mentioned, too.  thanks again!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 28 2003, 10:30

I have followed TB with Amarok myself, with excellent results. I think Ommadawn, TSODE and even TBII are a bit too, um, "quiet". Amarok is quite close to TB, and works as a great bridge between all the tension from TB and the "mystic" of Ommadawn and TBII.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 29 2003, 16:56

If you want to stay w/ the bells theme, go for TB2 and TB3. definately. If you'd like to explore more of his music, Guitars and TSODE are awesome as well.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Watcher of the skies Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 05:36

a must-have albums for a begginer MO fans are in my opinion -

seventies
1.Tubular bells
2.Ommadawn
3.Platinum

eighties

1.Five Miles out
2.Islands (but not necessary)

nineties

1.Amarok (a must have!!!;)
2.Songs of the distant earth
3.TB II
4.TB III

2000 and up

Nothing really necessary,although you may want to hear the re-recorded Tubular bells 2003.

--------------
Hillmen are swore of allegiance
living a live of silent dignity
for your protection
only so you don't worry...
your pretty little head!
Profile PM 
8 replies since Jan. 07 2003, 00:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net