Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What's up with mikeoldfield.com?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2002, 05:52

I just went to http://www.mikeoldfield.com/mike-interface.html and I can click on the album covbers at the bottom of the page. There are several mistakes on the track listings for the albums.

The Crises one misses out Foriegn Affair,
Tricks of the light is misspelt 'Tricks of the Lights',
It still says Amarok is 52 minutes long,
and the Tubular Bells III tracklisting is seriously stuffed! The Source of Secrets is called 'Tubular Bells III', Outcast is called 'Exorcism', Serpent Dream is called 'Serpentarium', The Top of the Morning is called 'In the Clear', Moonwatch is called 'Rainbow Fire' and Secrets is called 'Tubular Bells III (reprise).

Has anyone else noticed this? What's up with it?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 06:26

-Personally, I wouldn't mind too much if Foreign Affair was missed out
-Perhaps just a tyop? Working title? Someone just made a transcription error?
-Aargh...evil Dave Laing...although perhaps only 52minutes are unbroken, and the remaining 8 are slightly damaged
-Perhaps these are working titles...or what Mike thinks they should be called now...and there was some confusion between what was actually on the record and what wasn't.

You can't expect everything to be perfect. People make mistakes, even Mike...although maybe not Korgscrew wink. He isn't God (at least, not to me, though there are others who obviously would dispute that). It might be an excuse to show that Mike is human, rather than a small synthesiser in the corner of someone's attic.

And after looking at some of your spelling, picking Mike('s typist) up for something like 'Tricks of the Lights' is rather sad, to my mind.

Added bit: Perhaps Mike was typing too fast tongue
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 16:26

yeah i noticed the alternate Tubular Bells III names...maybe its the same person who called Sentinel 'Sentimental' on the DVD...sadly they weren't around when it came to designing the art for The Millennium Bell, maybe we could have had a different (and actually good) title?...

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2002, 18:30

This was also brought up a little while ago in one of the news forums, I forget which one.

Some things have obviously made their way across from the HDCD sleeve notes - like the missing Foreign Affair. I have a little theory about Amarok and the 52 minute thing (that being that it's thought that some of the beginning was added on late in the game, and it sounds to me like the Maggie Thatcher bit was a later addition - take off that end part and you're left with Amarok being about 54 minutes, the extra 2 being accountable for with bits added in other places...but that's just a wild piece of speculation), but its source would again seem to be the HDCD notes.

I believe that the TB3 track names are indeed working titles. How they made their way onto the website is a different matter...

As for me and mistakes...well... wink

I'll say this - it's not very hard to overlook mistakes in something such as a website. Typing errors are especially easy, as you can think you're watching what you're writing as you type and when you haven't spotted any errors while typing it, you think it's ok...
There are of course other ways that mistakes can be allowed to creep in - I've managed most of them...it can be avoided to a certain extent, but it's always going to happen (well...to me at least).

I think the problem is not so much that the mistakes got in there, but that nobody has corrected them yet - it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes (and if one of the team is sat there reading this thinking "Well if you think it's so easy, you do it" then I will...you know where to find me wink). I'd imagine, though, that the team is very busy at the moment, in the lead-up to the presentation of Music VR at the beginning of next month, so correcting little mistakes in the website's discography is probably the last thing on their minds (that said, the presentation will no doubt draw attention to the website, so a lot of people are going to be viewing those mistakes - what sort of image will it portray to the public if Mike's own site hasn't got the tracklisting of his albums right?)...

And one other thing...'I got rhythm' is missing an H...
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 28 2002, 13:50

its still far more forgivable than 'Charles Branson' though, lol...

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 29 2002, 05:26

Yeah, I know my spelling sux! wink But those Tubular Bells III track names are some REALLY bad spelling mistakes.

And yeah, I woudn't mind if Foriegn affair was missed out...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: May 29 2002, 13:51

some of those TB3 track names weren't "working titles". i know that Outcast was originally called "The Mighty Fall" not 'exorcism'. and i always thought Top of the Morning was just that, not "in the clear". again, i hope someone got fired for this smile j/k!lol

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 29 2002, 17:44

Sometimes even working titles change...
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: July 06 2002, 07:19

i like some of the alternate tb3 names. especially Serpentarium and Rainbow fire. Rainbow fire is a really mysteriuos title. wtf would a rainbow fire look like?

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since May 27 2002, 05:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net