Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What's the meaning of 'Hergest'?, Asking about the meaning of Hergest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
smillsoid Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 24 2009, 19:12

I was punished severely for daring to use humour on another forum once.  Never again!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 00:56

Didja get locked out for 5 days like I did when I hit 666 posts? That was bad.......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 04:35

Lol!be carefull where you use that slang man.london's a small place and there's places over here where using fanny magnet (i take it you mean flash car?!)will get you slapped :laugh:

And i prefer Rizla's.Zig Zag are the cheap ones off the saturday market.Humour....here?......How very dare you! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 07:05

Zig Zag`s are one step away from newspaper imo,total waste of time.And Bull Brand are even worse,you might as well give up smoking altogether you`ve hit rock bottom.Swan are pretty piss poor as well now that I think about it,plus they don`t even stick properly I mean what`s that all about? Hardly gonna` look the fanny magnet with one of those doobies unraveling out of the corner of your mouth..."Hey babe do youth cometh here ofteth"..?

Yeah it`s gotta be Rizla nothing else will do.And the "ten leaves left" was a real innovation imo,you know you don`t get quite as panic stricken and as pissed off as you used to.Only thing wrong with Rizlas..(and I`m sure Caveman will know what I`m talking about here)..and that`s the "rogue Rizla"..I`m sure it`s built into the packing machinery or something down at Rizla Central.Some right on anti-smoking dude with a sick sense of humour probably programmed it in there for a laugh.I`d say you get that little rogue fella maybe once every 5-6 packets or so.You know just long enough for you to forget all about it I guess.Every now and then you`ll spot it of course,and then sometimes you even convince yourself that there`s absolutely nothing wrong with it.That`s what comes of being a smoker you see.Your sense of taste can play tricks on you,and you`re not actualy tasting "gum" at all.Yeah that`s the inside of your own mouth dumbass,that`s what it actualy tastes like...

Rogue Rizlas!..Be alert at all times.I`d say it`s been about 3 weeks now since they last caught me out.That`s pretty good going for me.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 09:34

last thing i'll say on the subject before the admins get onto me.RIPS.What the hell are they about.A very very mouse size toilet roll in a box with an edge with all the cutting power of a blunt spoon with which you are supposed to rip the paper to the legnth required.In principle a great idea.In practice absolute crap!I always keep my swiss army knife with the scissors with me if i'm going to use them as it is impossible to rip them off in a straight line.I'm sorry but silver Rizla King Size every time (even with the rogue one). :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 21:40

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 25 2009, 00:56)
Didja get locked out for 5 days like I did when I hit 666 posts? That was bad.......

Noo.....that was *my* attempt at humor...devilish humor though it was. I had noooo idea that turning you into a Satanic member would lock you out for those days..........and  no.... I wasn't really drunk at the time....
it just seemed like a fun thing to do. And the category did exist. Others had been made Satanic.  

And that is also why I will never, ever try to do anything humorous ever again. <deadpan look on her face...no smile> But sometimes humor.....happens.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 07:55

Hey, Scatterplot. I read the whole story thinking it was true. Nice invention, tho. But therefore the Ugo explanation about it remains the valuable one.

By the way, I'd like to introduce you of a very good rock band, my favourite from all time: They were called: THE MOODY BLUES. They made a very good album in 1983, called 'The Present'. It's first song is called 'Blue World'. Has the chorus in that song have anything to do with your quote at the end of your posts???? :)

'Cos it's easier to try
Than to prove it can't be done'.

The Moody Blues --- my equivalent to Mike Oldfield in terms of rock bands.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2010, 03:35

The photo of the ridge on the album cover is to me mysterious, has an air of all things spiritual and peaceful, and Mike must have felt comfortable recording and writing the album here. The music is beautiful on this album, nice to listen to with a glass of Pinot Noir on a balmy summer evening
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2010, 15:09

Yet Mike was suffering terrible anxiety whilst writing/recording it - shows that in order to produce great art, one sometimes must suffer.  The parallels between Mike & this album and Beethoven & Symphony No.6 are undeniable - on many levels.  Both pieces are deeply moving because they encapsulate the pain of existence, and yet provide a musical balm to soothe the soul.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2010, 18:26

It inspires me to know that through the awful anxiety and wretched way life felt for Mike at the time he had the strength to complete the album, this shows real strength of character. He could have given up, walked away from it all but he confronted and dealt with his fears. The album is beautiful and no one could have guessed at the pain Mike was in at the time. Maybe it still does comfort him, I would like to think so.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 14:41

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 04 2010, 03:35)
The photo of the ridge on the album cover is to me mysterious, has an air of all things spiritual and peaceful, and Mike must have felt comfortable recording and writing the album here. The music is beautiful on this album, nice to listen to with a glass of Pinot Noir on a balmy summer evening

Lovely thing to say, listening to this album with a glass of wine...like all of his music this is one album to listen to and really feel the feelings, to go where it take you inside. I always come away from it feeling better, but it is sad...it allows you to feel sad , it's ok to have this sad feeling because the music understands. Introspective it certainly is but hearing it drove me to find the place and expereince it for real. And I am glad I did. Wish I lived nearer, I am sure being close would help keep me on a n even keel. So athough it makes you look within it also encourages you to look out, to nature, to beauty and the air itself.
You should try and visit, if you haven't done so...it is beautiful. :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 00:47

Hi Bee, Hergest Ridge is on the must see list if I ever get to the Northern Hemisphere, as well as Bradnor Hill, The Beacon and The Manor, just to see where Mike wrote his music. He chose some really lovely areas away from the urban jungle. Very sensible. Wish I was back in the country LOL! Another night to sit with some of MOTs tonight I think! TV here is absolute rubbish!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 09:17

Just a shame he didn't look at the Beacon from the inside before he bought it cos according to his book the place was bloody freezing in the winter!I certainly wouldn't want to be there with weather like we're having in the UK right now!
 I still aim to go there.It's not all that far but finances in the last 2 summers have prevented it.I don't know that it's that remote as the neigbours complaned about the noise when Pierre Moerlin was practicing the timpani part for Ommadawn.That's why he moved to Througham.That's the house i'd want.Solid cotswold stone and miles from any one.

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 19:37

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 08 2010, 09:17)
That's why he moved to Througham.That's the house i'd want.Solid cotswold stone and miles from any one.

Agreed there, somewhere to escape from everything and everyone...right now that's what I'd love to do...with one thing and another going on in my life...

just a thought though, those neighbours complaining about the noise...the sound must have been incredible surely...how can they not have appreciated it? those sounds were about to be formed into one of the best pieces of music ever composed..and they heard it for real, raw & in it's truest state, and for free...how I wish i had been there. The air must have been buzzing with creativity. I am trying to imagine hearing small sections of Ommadawn coming from nowhere as you are just getting on with your life..sounds pretty idyllic to me!! This is when a time machine is called for, pretty useful that'd be...for many resaons :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 19:50

In Changeling Mike said the carpets would billow when there were strong gusts of wind! That would have been awful! Cold air up the legs of flared jeans LOL! The Beacon was his first home though. We have all bought places like that when young! Througham in the Cotswolds would be picture perfect. I love the stone houses and the old architecture. Homes were built to last and withstand any weather! I reckon the Grand Bahama would be the best of all. And the climate! Cant see Mike choosing a nicer place to be!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2010, 15:18

I don't know...constant sunshine is non-inspirational for an artist.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 02:56

yep.If life's too comfy it doesn't inspire great works :laugh:

BTW the only but the neigbours complained about as far as i know where Pierre whacking hell out of timpani.Not surpirised.The rest of the studio was soundproofed with egg boxes.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 04:01

I reckon the sound from the rehearsals would have echoed around the area, being at the top of Bradnor Hill. Pity the neighbours had no idea about the genius creating Ommadawn! It must have been cracking good fun for Mike, Pierre and others working on it! Neighbours were a problem at the dear old Manor when Mike was doing the then Opus One! They outsmarted them thankfully and Tubular Bells was born! Artists do suffer for their art LOL! Rock On, loud and strong!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 04:25

Ah the case of the nieghbour who tried to extract large amounts of cash from Mr Branson.Sneaky old Richard taped the conversation and threatened him with the local constabulary.Read that in Branson's book.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 21:49

I read that in "Losing My Virginity" Richard was a savvy lad then as he is now of course! Two people I would love to have to dinner, Sir Richard and Mike, laughs aplenty and a practical joke or two!
Profile PM 
53 replies since July 14 2008, 18:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net