Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What's the meaning of 'Hergest'?, Asking about the meaning of Hergest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 21:49

I read that in "Losing My Virginity" Richard was a savvy lad then as he is now of course! Two people I would love to have to dinner, Sir Richard and Mike, laughs aplenty and a practical joke or two!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 02:53

From his book i can't help but admire the man.Ok he did screw Mike over but then that all got sorted.Despite Mike's complaining about being put on the back shelves in favour of punk Branson was out to build a successfull business.Mike did bankroll the company but by god did Branson run with it! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 05:10

In the 80s Mike may have with good reason resented how Virgin had treated him. Sir Richard Branson did give Mike the chance to get his music out there. What happened with Virgin's direction was not meant to hurt Mike's career. Companies diversify or go broke. The initial contract was less than ideal but Virgin was a fledgling company. Mike didnt have to sign on but he did. History shows that both men are multi millionares and still friends. No losers in this story.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 05:22

Which is what i meant.But Branson did really make a lot of money out of Mike.Business is business.As for Mike not signing i suspect he would have signed anything Richard put in front of him at that time.He just wanted to get his music out there!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 05:51

Right you are Caveman. With hindsight Richard should have had the correct contract drawn up to safeguard Mike's royalties and ownership rights (intellectual property). He had parents that were barristers and solicitors, with experience in contract law Im sure. Things could have been done better that goes without saying. I can't diminish what happened to Mike. He had every right to be angry, first that the contract he signed had not been lawfully drafted and second that his royalties were not correctly calculated. It wouldn't happen now, but years of lost earnings and living in poverty at times wasn't fair for Mike. Its like writing several Doctoral Theses and having someone else take the credit. Hope Mike makes the most of what he has now. He has made sure he won't be ripped off again!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 07:18

In fairness to Richard the reason the name Virgin was chosen when the record stores opened was because they were virgins in the Business world.They were winging it big style for a few years.Richard knew nothing about contracts and Mike was his first signing i believe.As i read it they took Sandy Denny's (what a singer!-sadly missed) Island contract and just changed the relevent details to fit.Amateur at best and down right stupidly iresponsible at worst.The fact that Richard was both Manager and Record Company in one and then took a big chunk of commsion from Royalties for both shows to my mind that he knew to a degree that he was taking advantage.Mike was a very young and extremley (IMO)naive not to mention troubled man.He may not have wantonly set out to rip Mike off but he know a cash cow when he saw one.It took Kevin Ayres to say to Mike "You have a lousy deal" for Mike to confront the situation.The settlement reached tied Mike in for a few more albums so even then he was getting a bad deal.
 To be honest the history of popular music is littered with instances like this though.Ask any band about their management in the 60's and 70's and they'll tell horror stories of cock ups and bad deals.Brian Epstien sold the rights to all Beatles merch to the ever-so-cleverly named Seltaeb as he didn't see that there was money in it!And Cream's manager Robert Stigwood turned down a spot at Monterey because he thought it would ruin their market potential in the US and then booked them for a couple weeks on the MUrray The K show!Go figure.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 13:38

To finally put a head on this thread(hey a rhyme), Hergest means "head" as in "to put a head on this beer".  The word originated in the 1700's as "Hervest" which meant "Harvest" as in barley or corn to make liquor. As this region appealed so well to alcohol enthusiasts, the name cought on. This was "Party Central" at that time. Heavy money made by prostitutes, alcohol sales increased logarithmacally. The quality and quantity of the product increased. By the year 1911, the govt. had a keen interest in this area to use as a WW1 airial luanch area and closed down all bars. You're not buying any of this are you? Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 18:51

Finally - an answer!!! :laugh:

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 19:45

Right you are Simon @Jim thanks for getting us back on topic! There may be elements of truth in your post but I reckon you are yanking our collective chain LOL!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 23:30

I think it's something to do with black dogs and hauntings... :O

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 04:24

Mmm all things esoteric and generally weird! Mike would have been comfortable there. He has always liked stepping beyond the realms of earthly existence! Boy did he have a great time pushing ordinary boundaries in music. I think he is now too comfortable in himself now....not good creatively speaking. Someone give Mike a poke LOL!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 07:14

The Black Dog of Hergest.Heard about that.Spirit got buried in an old tin box (wonder if you could play TB on that one)and was supposed to come back as a black dog and huant the area.Something like that anyway.Was supposed to come back 150 years after so around the time Mike was there.

--------------
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2010, 11:55

I wonder if it's related to the Bargest/Barguest?  This is a phantom black dog that haunts the countryside and graveyards.  I named my record label Barguest Records after it!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 30 2010, 21:13

Did you survive?  :D  :D

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
53 replies since July 14 2008, 18:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net