Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (16) < ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What's all the fus about?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 20:11

Quote (bugular tell @ Mar. 18 2003, 13:27)
hi peep's,
           just a quick one to ask what is all the fuss about, dont get me wrong im a huge MO fan but i can't get into or see why people like this album so much!!!
I like it, i do, but its near the bottom of the pile on my fave's list, does anyone else out there agree, or am i the only one? heheheh :D  :O

I'm sure you're not the only one - luckily there are so many Mike albums we can all have lots of favourites, a few we don't personally like etc etc.

Just seems that Amarok has a lot of folks who like it a lot (me included).

Hey. I've even heard there are folks here who don't like TB  ;)
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: July 25 2008, 15:18

people who dont like TB!?!?!? i have never heard such a thing! lol, my upstairs neighbour is very open minded in music, so i lent him a few cd's, mike and others, Amarok was included and he likes it too, as well as the Killing Fields, so i guess i am missing the Amarok gene? lol, i keep going back to it in the hope that i will "get it" and its just not happening.

but being a huge fan i am sure one day it will "click" and i will finally get in touch with my inner amorokian! it pi**es me off that i dont enjoy this album as much as everyone on here seems too..........HELP!  :)  :O

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 25 2008, 16:54

Got no idea why the fuss....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
theben Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2008, 10:16

Hello Bugular Tell,

i never understood why so many mo fans love this album. I really tried to get familiar to it many times (because the majority of this forum admire it) - but for me it's still a confusion of not inspired themes with a lot of disturbing noises and spoken words like "happy, happy..." in the beginning.

So it's very amazing for me how people who love for example hergest ridge can also enjoy amarok.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2008, 10:48

Quote (theben @ Sep. 14 2008, 23:16)
a confusion of not inspired themes

That's probably the difference between those who love Amarok and those who don't. For me Amarok has the most inspired themes of Mike's career, indeed the most amazing collection of melodies and arrangements I've ever heard anywhere.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2008, 16:08

I think Amarok, like Tubular Bells, is Mike Oldfield distilled into music, pure and complete

and I think along with Ommadawn at the top of the list, they are my three favourites from which I never want to be parted!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 09:17

Right with you there Bee.I have knackered 3 copies of it since i got it at the end of '90!I have it on my iPod but deliberatlely don't listen to it too often cos i need an hour to get into and that hour is hard to come by! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2008, 16:28

Quote (bugular tell @ July 25 2008, 19:18)
people who dont like TB!?!?!? i have never heard such a thing! lol, my upstairs neighbour is very open minded in music, so i lent him a few cd's, mike and others, Amarok was included and he likes it too, as well as the Killing Fields, so i guess i am missing the Amarok gene? lol, i keep going back to it in the hope that i will "get it" and its just not happening.

but being a huge fan i am sure one day it will "click" and i will finally get in touch with my inner amorokian! it pi**es me off that i dont enjoy this album as much as everyone on here seems too..........HELP!  :)  :O

I'm another one missing the Amarok gene, no matter how much I tried I can't get in touch with my inner Amarokian. I haven't tried listening to Amarok for some time I just ,despite trying as I will don't get it     :O

People not liking Tubular Bells
:/

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2008, 21:04

Actually, TB1 is not one of my favourite MO albums. I much prefer TB2 and even TB3. And The Millennium Bell and Voyager and Heaven's Open, and virtually everything else except Incantations and Ommadawn, which I don't like at all!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2008, 05:52

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 19 2008, 21:04)
except Incantations and Ommadawn, which I don't like at all!

oooeer!...I'm having trouble reading that last part...I can recognise each word, but, in that order and with their intended meaning? well , it makes no 'sense' to me AT ALL!!!!!!! What's wrong with you Nightspore???

( and btw, I am being very tongue in cheek here....it just baffles me how anyone can find Ommadawn a challenge!!;) :O

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2008, 06:51

Quote (bee @ Sep. 20 2008, 05:52)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 19 2008, 21:04)
except Incantations and Ommadawn, which I don't like at all!

oooeer!...I'm having trouble reading that last part...I can recognise each word, but, in that order and with their intended meaning? well , it makes no 'sense' to me AT ALL!!!!!!! What's wrong with you Nightspore???

( and btw, I am being very tongue in cheek here....it just baffles me how anyone can find Ommadawn a challenge!!;) :O

G'day Bee. What's wrong with me? I wish I knew!  :)

I've discussed this on various threads of the forum at various times - and Mike's pre-Exegesis stuff just leaves me cold. Maybe, emotionally, I'm aligned with Mr Oldfield. (Does anyone know where I can enrol in Exegesis :D )
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2008, 16:53

Would one be expected to marry the guy's daughter?   :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 15:31

Quote (theben @ Sep. 14 2008, 10:16)
So it's very amazing for me how people who love for example hergest ridge can also enjoy amarok.

It took me about as many tries to get into both. With Hergest Ridge, it took many listens for me to appreciate the pace and melodies.

As HR is described as a 'pastoral' work, I suppose we could (and probably have, somewhere) compare it to Beethoven's "Pastoral" Symphony. I know that it took me longer to enjoy that one since, at the time, it was the drama and passion of the 9th I was more immediately drawn to.

With Amarok, it was the aural oddities I had to get over. Or maybe 'embrace' is a better term?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 12:32

I've been a MO fan since TB and I willingly admit here that Amarok is my least favorite of his works. I suppose the sudden "stabs" of blasting guitars disturbs me, not to mention the sound effects that are, IMHO, recorded too loud compared to the rest of the music, which changes way too drastically for my taste. I'm very dedicated and will purchase every CD Mike puts out but Amarok seldom gets played. Incidentally, I'm a HUGE Tangerine Dream fan and have over 300 of their CDs, and there are a handful I don't enjoy either - though I totally respect their right to create music as they see fit. Still, I wouldn't trade my love for MO or TD for anything as they've both enlighted and inspired my own life...

Call me a fool for being honest but like other MO fans, I don't understand what all the fuss over Amarok is about-

Harry
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 12:55

Each to there own i guess Harry.
I love Amarok but it isn't something i can listen to day every day,unlike most of his other albums which i can play anytime (Earth Moving,Islands and Heavens Open excluded).
 The brass stabs were put in there specifically to piss Simon Draper off and there's the "f*ck of RB" morse code bit.It was Oldfield's protest album against Virgin.
I think you either love it or hate.There's no fence sitting about this one.
I'm on the love it side but as i say it's not an easy one. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 14:53

Amarok was an exploration of new technology and the need to deliver an album(s), one was left, to fulfill a contract, but damn it, he was not focused. The cool acoustic guitar riff that appears 3 times(my count might be wrong) could have been the premise for a much finer work. But the guy was not -focused- as he was with HR or Ommadawn. Somebody here, I forget who, keeps using the phrase "either you get it or you don't get it". Bullshit. The CD was not a comic book with a message you either "get or don't get". It seemed like a fairly quickly put together piece of non-relevant parts to add up to exactly one hour. With some very quirky and intelligent stuph like morse code thrown in. Oh sure it is a great piece of engineering show-off, and very well recorded.  Now that the opportunity was squandered, it could have been something far more extravagant....Did I piss you off? Oh I'm sorry. But the 5 or 6 minutes of cool material is just that....very cool. The rest.....Jesus, if he had been focused, Amarok could have been something really special. Was it a chick? Or just getting Branson off his ass? Personally, I would have used that time and material more wisely and stayed focused. With a GD blockbuster as another notch on my belt. As it is, it's a "curiosity" that some scrutinize once-in-a-while. Time has no mercy for the growing young soul. It leaves us with memories then it makes us grow old. I wish Oldfield had thought of that when he recorded the thing. Personally, I would have looped that cool acoustic guitar riff and overdubbed more clever sweet orchestra, guitar solos, clever nonsense lyrics(female of course), and kept a more intriguing theme that kept the listener on a straight-and-narrow track. I think you get my message....."enjoy these times, when it's gone, it's gone." It's true. 35 only comes once, Mike.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 21 2009, 15:15

HRFanUSA - Honesty is good!

Jim - You just don't get it do you :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 21 2009, 15:58

Quote (Scatterplot @ May 21 2009, 14:53)
Amarok was an exploration of new technology and the need to deliver an album(s), one was left, to fulfill a contract, but damn it, he was not focused.

Well, actually, there were two albums left before Amarok came out. Mike Oldfield's "farewell" album is actually Heaven's Open, and yeah, I think you can say THAT one was quite a hackjob to finish the contract (though I still love it). Amarok seems to me, matter of fact, like Mike at the top of his game, pulling all stops, taking no prisoners, set out to make his most massively challenging album. In the end your criticism still applies, though I think that if he doesn't sound "focused", it's probably the intended effect.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 16:01

"Just don't get it"? Again? Give me a break. I know every piece of equipment used to make that album. Please find a new "catch phrase" to debate Amarok. "Either you get or you don't" is too old. Find something new, ok? No harm intended. It's just considered "dorky" to use the same phrase year-after-year. YES I get it. I got it. I will get it again, I'm sure. I'm Gettin' it. I've gotten it. And now, I have forgotten it. Now I am gonna go "get", "did not Get" some sleep. Goodnight fellow Tubularian. Go get it!
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 16:07

I just cant be let to sleep can I? "the need to deliver an album(s), one was left, to fulfill a contract". I know that was Heaven's Open............Goodnight....this is Texas. Time is not the same here. It's a strange place, but goodnight.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
316 replies since Mar. 18 2003, 13:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (16) < ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net