Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (16) < ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What's all the fus about?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jacen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2011, 17:25

I've read through quite a few posts in this thread to begin to find a way to connect with this album.

It was first given to me by a friend who basically emphatically said "you'll love this!" I think on my first listen I got about 4 minutes in and the rest of it just washed over me, as though I were drowning in a sea of cloth eared-nincompoops unable to take in any more detail.

That was something like 5 years ago. Recently, I dusted off the ol' digital copy, gave it a spin (pressed play in iTunes) and gave it another go.

I should feel proud of myself, I suppose. The furthest I've gotten so far is about 15 minutes in.

I'd like to just say that owning the whole album is worth it for the 30 second section at 5:45. That. Is. Awesome.

I guess I feel Alan D's response to it as well though. It's just a bit too... off the wall. I'd go so far as to say that it as a piece of work is compositionally incohesive - or at least - not obeying any laws of composition before it. I know THATS THE POINT, but still, maybe I'm still too much of a traditionalist.

That 30 seconds is the only seconds I've been able to connect with. Its so great that often I will now get up in the morning, have it in my head, and shove it on play.

I played it to a friend of mine who only has a vague appreciation of Oldfield, and all he had to say was "Its remarkable how much of his work sounds the same" which sacreligiously perhaps, I don't disagree with. I think Mike's music has a great homogeneity to it - even through attempting new work and different ideas there's still that core of composition that remains untouched. I value it; my friend just thinks TBII is good.

I wonder if I'll ever come to appreciate this album. I have to say... it took me something like 30 listens to 'get' Incantations and appreciate it. Even now though, I still never listen to Part 3. It just seems out of place and out of tone with the rest of the music.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 10 2011, 03:02

It is a very difficult piece to crack if you are relatively new to his work. As a composer, I think it is very well constructed and if you follow my youtube page (see Summer of Amarok post) I will be transcribing the work as well as talking about some of the ideas and how they all fit together.

Broadly speaking, I see the piece as having three sections approximately 20 minutes in length. The start of the section is always started with that opening riff you hear at the very beginning.

Tere are many themes throughout, but certainly there are some theme that assume more prominence in the piece.

I say perservere with it and try your hardest to get to the end it really will be worth it!

www.ryanyard.com

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: June 10 2011, 15:49

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not new to his work. I've enjoyed it for more than 8 years.

This is just a step too far though. Its too off the wall; too out there. Ultimately, what I've always liked about mikes' music is that he can bring classical composition to rock influences - but there are rules with the musicality of Classical that are simply being ignored (deliberately I'm sure) and I suppose that's the crux of why people dislike this piece sometimes. Its a truly raw expression; and with that comes the craziness of an unpolished piece.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 10 2011, 16:45

Quote (jacen @ June 09 2011, 22:25)
I should feel proud of myself, I suppose. The furthest I've gotten so far is about 15 minutes in.

Are you kidding us - only 15 minutes in?   :/  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 15:17

I have since listened through the whole thing, but again with the washing over me thing. Still, at least we have that 30 seconds... thats like, 1/120th - its worth keeping an album for that, right?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 16:03

Quote (jacen @ June 13 2011, 20:17)
Still, at least we have that 30 seconds... thats like, 1/120th - its worth keeping an album for that, right?

As you have come this far, I think under the circumstances the best solution is that you just keep going.  :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 16:23

Quote (wiga @ June 13 2011, 16:03)
Quote (jacen @ June 13 2011, 20:17)
Still, at least we have that 30 seconds... thats like, 1/120th - its worth keeping an album for that, right?

As you have come this far, I think under the circumstances the best solution is that you just keep going.  :)

Lol that's very true and after all, endings are never endings...

Which 30 seconds are we referring to?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 04:50

it starts about 5:45 in after Mikes 'hmm'... Although I am beginning to appreciate the guitar work at the very start more. Still not keen on those random stabs of guitar meant to annoy a producer.
Profile PM 
Sordel Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 08:56

Difficult to pick one moment out of Amarok, but that 30 seconds is certainly not the moment I'd pick. Try the Flamenco sequence (into the superb electric solo) at 22:10.

I haven't read through the thread, but I think that one reason why Amarok is so loved is that it was the first album in years when Mike sounded completely like himself ... or, at least, like the Mike Oldfield that everyone loved from Tubular Bells.

Sonically, it's one of the best things he's ever done (much as I hate to be a hi-fi geek, it really repays the investment in decent equipment) and to those of us who had got a bit sick of the song-based albums it showed him stretching a bit more as a composer.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 04:42

John Zorn said this about composition:

"Pacing is essential. If you move too fast, people tend to stop hearing the individual moments as complete in themselves and more as elements of a sort of cloud effect"

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sordel Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 10:11

Quote (larstangmark @ June 22 2011, 04:42)

"Pacing is essential. If you move too fast, people tend to stop hearing the individual moments as complete in themselves and more as elements of a sort of cloud effect"

On the Mike Oldfield forums with a Mark E. Smith signature and quoting John Zorn ... Bravo, Sir! :)
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 11:31

Quote (larstangmark @ June 22 2011, 04:42)

Zorn, the master of the multiple-movements in under 30 seconds said that??  Half the tracks on Naked City (an excellent album IMHO) run for less than a minute.

I'm also a big Fall fan, so your musical eclecticism is not without kindred spirits!
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2011, 19:50

Amarok, is clearly an outstanding album by the standards of any composer, it is amazing on so many levels, but one thing I have always been amazed by is the fact that the album Mike released before Amarok was Earth Moving, a lot of peoples least favourite album, I guess mainly because it was all songs(I personally think it has some really good moments) but who in 1989 would have even considered Mike would release something as majestic as Amarok in 1990?
So, for some people, Mike went from his worst ever album to his greatest album in one year.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2011, 21:14

As Major Gowan would say, "No, no, I won't have that!" I love half of EM, and like the rest of it.  :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2011, 08:40

@ qjamesfloyd: As I've said repeatedly here, I don't think Earth Moving is Mike's worst album. He went lower than that.

@ nightspore: what is the half you love? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2011, 09:03

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 28 2011, 08:40)
@ qjamesfloyd: As I've said repeatedly here, I don't think Earth Moving is Mike's worst album. He went lower than that.

@ nightspore: what is the half you love? :D

The songs "Runaway Son", "Holy", "Innocent", and "Far Country". There's a fifth one, but I won't say which in case Sir M says "Eww"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2011, 09:52

I know, but among a lot of the fans, Earth Moving comes at the bottom of Mikes work.
Profile PM 
316 replies since Mar. 18 2003, 13:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (16) < ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net