Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What will this new version sound like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2002, 22:14

I'm just guessing, but I'm willing to bet that this new version will sound like TB recorded with TBII and TBIII digital instruments. TB at Berlin 2000 shows this well.

I hope that this is not true, though. I love the warmth of his guitars through his old analogue amps, which would be lost if he stuck with his Roland midi processors. Midi usually gives a pretty good sound, but always sounds slightly fake to me.

So far his use of digital instruments has been pleasing to my ears (except maybe for the saxaphone/guitar on Tres Lunas and the drums/guitar in Guitars). I'm just afriaid that an album that I consider one of the best ever made, will be remade into a digitally synthasised facsimile.

Sorry Mike, but I love the fact that your guitar is out of tune and I hear you breathing sometimes. It is more then just the music played. It's not perfect, yet TB has a life of its own and still excites new listeners in this digital society!!!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2002, 03:50

I agree that perfection normally means that some of the soul of the music is lost, but some of Tubular Bells is just too imperfect, for example wrong notes, and the fact that you can barely hear the 'Spanish Guitar'. It was recorded in just a week (well, Part One anyway), and being in such a rush meant that Mike could not spend the time he would have otherwise had on getting the thing right. I am very much hoping that is sounds like the Berlin 2000 extract: that would make it one of his best ever albums! I also hope he fixes us the bells so they sound more like the Far Above the Clouds bells. I'm sure he won't ruin it: the stakes are too high (can you imagine the flaming he'd get! :/ )

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 18 2002, 14:03

I also hope he stays away from the syrupy-synthy sounds that have featured on his more recent albums (I'm imagining Tubular Bells with the sound and feel of The Millennium Bell, and to me it's not pretty...or maybe it's more that it's far too pretty ;)).

I enjoy Tubular Bells in its 'imperfect' state as well, though I can see what might be driving Mike to want to re-record it. I would just hope that he doesn't 'sanitise' it too much, and that he doesn't end up giving it too much of a 'modern' sound that'll sound cheap in a few years' time.

With the bells sound, I'd personally think that the sound on Amarok is the one to aim for, but perhaps Mike has different plans.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2002, 16:53

I am sure that Mike will be using as much analog equipment and the same instruments as he can find,that were used the first time around,but the big difference will be the fact that Mike will have longer to record it this time,with a lot lot less pressure,and also the fact that he has improved vastly as a musician and guitarist,the album wil sound so much better and profesional.
I can't wait.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2002, 04:56

Yeah, it will sound a lot more professional. I definatly prefor the PRS sound to the old Tele he used. I wonder if he will use all his old guitars, instruments again? That would be quite interesting.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
treslunas Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 19 2002, 12:34

I did read on mike oldfield.com that he was getting out all of the old valve equipment for the re-recording of tubular bells then he went on to say that he was going out for a chinese and a pint of guiness!

--------------
Tr3s Lunas (Danny Hudson)
Profile PM 
Fallen Angel Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 08:18

oooooooooooo it sounds so good..!!

--------------
Heaven was Open and I fell out
Profile PM 
6 replies since Aug. 14 2002, 22:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net