Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What type of music does Oldfield fans like?, I'm looking to expand my CD collection.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Couldren Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 20 2003, 09:42

This may be a odd post, but I'm a huge Mike Oldfield fan, and has all his CD's and only lack his rareties (Planning to get them on CD soon) to make my collection complete. I allready have a huge CD collection of 500 CD's, I love music.

But I can't find any music that really sound much like Mike, and though he has released a lot of music, it is not enough for me. Mike is like a drug, I m...u....s....t have more.

I figure that someone who loves Mike's music as much as I do could help give me some suggestions, so I don't waste my money on junk. Mark Knopfler, Enya, The Pogues, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, The Beatles and many others (especially Celtic and Punk, and Oldies) are among my other favorites.

I would appreciate suggestions, on what type of music Oldfield fans like, and do anyone know if a new Oldfield album is on the way?
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2003, 16:21

Hmmmmm....
;)

I think the musicaly world is very wide-spreaded nd I would forget too many bands if I'd try to make a "recommended"-list for your taste.
As the questions comes to "celtic" sounding music I like to listen, my 1st thoughts would be:

- Loreena McKennitt
- Sarah McLachlan
- !Aeone!
- Carol Tatum (Angels Of Venice)
- Kate Bush (parts of her work)

and I'd knew that I forgot a bunch of....

"Punk"

Hmmm, well, I was never very deep into Punk-stuff, more into so-called "Oi!", but as most of the bands I'm thinkin' about here are german, I'll better leave it.

"Oldies" - when does something begin to be an "Oldie" ?
;)

As u like Queen, I'd recommend Brian May's solo-works, especially stuff he made as part of "The Starfleet Project".

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2003, 06:19

hi,
i read your artical i listen to jean-michel jarre, and his music is very similar to mikes, im sure you'll like it,
keep me posted with what you think.
liz.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 21 2003, 11:57

It won't be easy to find in the shops, but you might like the solo work of John Paul Jones - his last album 'The Thunderthief' is an amazingly varied blend of hard rock, folk and who knows what else. The same goes for his first album, Zooma, though its range of styles is slightly narrower (not a bad thing, though! ). Zooma is also entirely instrumental, whereas The Thunderthief has some songs on it. It's not always for the feint hearted, but if you don't mind a bit of something a bit heavier then you might enjoy his stuff. He plays a number of less common instruments like the 12 string bass and electric mandolin, which gives his work quite a unique sound. I'd certainly recommend it if you're finding that some people's music seems to be getting a bit stale at the moment - a quick blast of John Paul Jones will soon blow the cobwebs away...

I recently got hold of the album 'Wild Serenade' by DuOuD, a pair of Oud (middle eastern fretless lute) players. They mix the traditional arabic sounds of the acoustic Oud with more contemporary sounds and rhythms (and even a bit of electric Oud). I don't know how lasting its appeal will be, but I find it a very interesting idea. However, if you hate anything which remotely resembles modern beat-based music, you may not like it.

The next release from Mike will, as you probably already know, be the re-recorded Tubular Bells. What comes after that is partly anyone's guess, though with all the music he recorded for Music VR, I'd not be surprised if that figures somewhere (certainly at the time of signing his contract with Warner Spain, two chillout albums were talked about, and as we know, there's only been one so far...).
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2003, 14:23

Had the same problem as used to love the 70's stuff like Mike Oldfield (who at has least kept going) Sally Oldfield, Kate Bush, Steve Hillage, BO Hanson, Yes, Gong.

Recently I found in the last few years the band called 'Enigma' which I feel has aspects of all the above 70's stuff, plus as a bonus there is a lot of instrumental stuff, similar to Mikes work.

The CD to look for is 'Enigma Trilogy' which covers their first three albums and is quite a bargain.

Cheers MO  fan :D
Profile PM 
James Dawson Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 08:32

I find it very difficult to name 'my favourite band or artist'. So when I'm asked I usually give a list of favourites. Mike, of course, features in this list ! ..

I've collected hundreds of CD's over the years, but Mike's work has the largest percentage of them !

But other bands/artists that MUST have a mention are (in no order):

ELO
Radiohead
Coldplay
David Gray
Ryan Adams (yes, Ryan, not Bryan!;)

my tastes seem to change quite a bit though.. currently I'm listening to ...

Fleetwood Mac
The Coral
Richard Ashcroft
George Harrison
Prodigy..

(how mixed is that lot then ! )
Profile PM 
Cap_de_Creus Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 09:06

Hi There!
I would like to recomend to you some really good music that I'm sure you will love!!
Since some years ago I have been trying to find some good music in order to fill my mike oldfield musical taste and I'm luky to say that there are some artists with a very good works!!

There's a Japanese gay called LEONARD ETO who is trying to mix the traditional japaneses drums (Kodo drums) with some rock music...He has 2 cds and I think that the first is the Best!! The second one it's not very good,for me.

The next artist is PAUL MOUNSEY, he has 3 albums called NAHOO, NAHOO TOO and NAHOO:notes from the republic.
You can find some information in his web page, just try to find his name through yahoo.
All his albums are mostly instrumental, mixing celtic music with rock (oldfield guitars), brasilian rythms, orqestral music...An amazing music!!!

I hope you enjoy this music so much as me!
(sorry for my bad scotish)jeje

I hope heraring from you soon!!!
cap_de_creus@hotmail.com

slainte
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 11:34

have any of you guys listened to deep forest?, very similar to enigma.
Profile PM 
James Dawson Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 11:47

Not really fussed on them.... sorry ! .. but I have the Enigma albums, they're very good. Maybe I should give Deep Forrest another try.... :)
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 11:58

also tele-pop music (genetic world) is quite good
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 16:02

Quote (James Dawson @ Jan. 22 2003, 11:47)
but I have the Enigma albums, they're very good. Maybe I should give Deep Forrest another try

Who's this 'Deep forest' which country of origon, any info or web site?

Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 17:22

Heyas, Mr. Fan !
;)

This site
should give you answers to your questions.

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 19:12

Quote (dkaycom @ Jan. 22 2003, 17:22)
should give you answers to your questions.

Later, dkay

Thanks dkay, for that Deep forrest website, gives some example MP3's. great!

I see its French composers and they use ethnic music from abroad, built into their compositions.

If you like that type of music I can recommend a one off album (if you can get a hold of it) by an American band called 'Waterbone' the album is called TIBET which uses tibetan music and chants built into their 'western with eastern inffulences' instrumental music.

The CD cover calls it "Ancient visions in an extrodinary mix of trip hop grooves and organic voicings" I am not an expert at describing music, but I say it is just brilliant and atmospheric, pity, its just a one off.

INFO:- Label: World DVC music, dated 1987 made in USA, sold in USA and in Europe under New World music outlets.

Check web using keywords "Waterbone tibet"

It was discontinued recently but there are a few copies still kicking around. Its worth getting, you will spot a few bits like Mike Oldfield music within the album. Thats why I liked it.

Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2003, 03:28

Well, we just got a Queen DVD with all their videos, and it is a very good DVD with some brilliant songs on it (I've had Bohemian Rhapsody in my head ever since, definately one of the best songs ever), and Brian May's guitaring is also really good. I suppose that since Mike is such an amazing guitarist and instrumentalist, fans would like other amazing guitarists, and bands/artists which can do instrumental stuff. Pink Floyd, Yes, Moby, Sky and Rick Wakeman are my main interests, along with a singer called Harry Chapin (he wrote 'Cat's in the Cradle, which you might know) who writes amazing songs.

I would also recommend the music to Cirque du Soliel, the French-Canadian circus, which has lots of shows around the world. OK, anyone who has seen one of their shows will agree that the music is not in the forefront of your mind all the time, but the soundtrack albums are always really good. I also have an album by Steve Howe, the guitarist from Yes, called Natural Timbre, which is a beautiful all acoustic album, with a bit of drums and violin. Folk-rock band Steeleye Span is another one of my favourites, mainly because of the beautiful voice of Maddy Prior (who sang on Incantations), and Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is always good to listen too. Justin Hayward's vocals with The Moody Blues are also amazing. The Beatles (now we're getting really before my time! ) do some amazing stuff, the best would be A Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields and Let it Be. David Bowie's Starman and Space Oddity are also favourites. Finally, on a chillout compilation (which also had Moonlight Shadow and the TB intro! ) I found Carlos Santana's Flor de Luna (Moonflower) which is a lovely guitar piece. Well, that's about it! Quite varied when I look at them all written down, but anything with amazing guitar or keyboard solos will usually be a winner. Mainly, I like songs which mean something, or have different subject matters to "ooh ooh I love you"  :cool:

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2003, 04:59

this is for mojo, any sites for the waterbone mp3s, i found one tantra2 but unfournetly needed more sources to download, would be helpful for info,
thanks.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2003, 13:07

Quote (liz197 @ Jan. 23 2003, 04:59)
this is for mojo, any sites for the waterbone mp3s, i found one tantra2

The Waterbone tibet album has the following songs
(by the way the date made was 1997 not 1987, did not have my glasses on) Anyway, Its a great album, if you can get it.

1- Eastern girl
2- River of souls
3- tantra
4- Song for the mountain
5- August moon
6- Snow palace
7- Purjari vision
8- Waterdance
9- Bridge to Manaslu
10- tantra 2 (the one you mentioned)
11- A childs prayer

Total 62 minutes

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 24 2003, 11:29

This would be more at home in 'other artists', wouldn't it?

For another one to try, check out The Cock And Bull Band. Their sound is occasionally slightly reminiscent of Mike's more folky works, especially now they've been joined by Steve Cobham on guitar (they haven't made any recordings with him yet, though).
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 14:16

heres another one to try rather like enigma, they are called ERA, suppose you guys might have heard of them, there not too bad.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 16:56

i would recommend to have a listen at the french duo 'air'. their '10,000 hz legend' is an interesting album, among all the tracks i highlight two of them, 'radian' and 'vagabond' (with beck on vocals). they call themselves 'electronic performers' and they are indeed but with a huge dosis of experimentation and don't leave behind traditional instruments, in 'radian' the accoustic guitar starres along with flutes over the synths and piano closing. it's quite hypnotic... and 'vagabond' starts with a single harmonica followed by accoustic guitar and vocals.
i think it's worth it.

when i saw them live performing '10,000 hz legend' i got hold of their music.  clean sounds and a charming mood, though the album is a bit dark...

some links...
http://www.10000hzlegend.com/
(in this it's possible to have a virtual walk inside the design of a radio station placed in the middle of the desert...)

http://source.astralwerks.com/air/

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 23:35

Svefn_G_Englar by Sigur Ros (10.02)

Staralfur by Sigur Ros (06.45)

thank me later

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
34 replies since Jan. 20 2003, 09:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net