Other (Describe) 0  [0.00%]
None ever again 4  [20.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What other Clarke novel should Mike adapt?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 20:02

Which of Arthur C. Clarke's other novels would you like to see Mike Oldfield adapt musically as he did "The Songs of Distant Earth"?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 05:34

206I

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 11:45

2061? Then vote, please. That is one of the sequels to 2001, and there is an item for that. Thanks!

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 12:29

Mike loves the film,and I'd love to hear a piece of music based on that from Mike.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 08:16

Hard to say. 2001 might be the easiest to adapt musically, and I certainly would love to hear Mike's musical version of the ending (if it's anything like the movie it would be a TSODE / Amarok combination).

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 11:15

Quote (raven4x4x @ Jan. 24 2005, 08:16)
Hard to say. 2001 might be the easiest to adapt musically,

Or it would be the hardest, since it would be compared to well-known movie soundtrack (daa.... daaa.... DAAA. DA DA!!! dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum...).

As for a Rama-inspired musical work, it would likely be in 3/4 time or something similar: "the Ramans do everything in threes".

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 11 2005, 11:29

Hmmm.....not sure how I missed this thread.  Glad someone voted and brought it to the surface again!

I loved 2001--book, movie, soundtrack (I saw the movie when pretty young and didn't read the book until much later--I perferred the book--fleshed out the parts I had found confusing about the movie; I also liked the concept of Iapetus, a satellite of Saturn, though Jupiter is fine, too, I suppose....and then they could get into the LaGrange Point between Io and Jup); ditto with the sequels. I loved 2010 in particular--book, movie, music.

In terms of Mike adapting another Clarke work, I think he could have the most fun, engagement, and challenge of all, including expressing the greatest range of emotions and moods with Childhood's End. There are so many themes that run through it--the Overlords and the Christian concept of the Devil; a world without hunger, terrritorial strife, etc. where people work and learn for the intellectual engagement of it all (of course, what does this really mean....); the sadness of not being able to reveal who you are (or what you are) to someone who has become your friend (Karellen--ah, what a kewl name--I always have wanted a horse named Karellen <-; --and Stormgren--though Karellen takes measures on their last visit to assuage his friend's curiosity); the entire concept of human evolution and next steps; the role of psychic phenomenon; the sadness of being a species who cannot evolve; ah...and the children. Well, I'm not going to spoil it completely for those who have not read the book. :) It just seems to me that there would be much contained therein for an incredibly sweeping musical composition. Guess I should also point out that Genesis' "Watcher of the Skies" was based on Childhood's End, and it's one of my favorite pieces, but......er.....well......it's not Mike. :cool: I'd like to see what Mike would do with the thing.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 22 2005, 20:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net