Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What music number is the fastest, or part of of it..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: June 12 2008, 17:21

Where MO plays the fastest guitar?
I could have made a poll but I´m thinking there is many options..

For example..it could be the fast riff section in Amarok or Sailors Hornpipe or maybe the end of Millennium Bell..

I´m not not a musician, maybe some of you can approach this in a more "technical" manner..  come with your points...
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2008, 18:15

Amarok has plenty of extremely fast parts. Lion Reprise, Mandolin Reprise 1, 2, 3 and the Fast Walts (the flamenco bit) are all unbelievably fast. However as long as technically fast playing while still being highly emotional (at least IMHO) is concerned, I'd go for Serpent Dream from TBIII. I always thought that Mike does his best stuff when he's not just showing off his technique (as he does on Amarok), but he can arouse feelings while still leaving people's mouths gaping open at just how proficient he is. :) Another such piece is "Branches", from the Sallyangie bonus disc - and he was 15 at the time. :O

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 02:57

[quote=Ugo,June 12 2008, 23:15][/quote]
but he can arouse feelings while still leaving people's mouths gaping open at just how proficient he is.

Very true,he`s not one of those guys that just seem to noodle on into infinity just for the sake of it sometimes.Or as once described by Andy Partridge from XTC,.."Quasi-classical willy showing."..

Not a musician also here but I`d maybe go for the electric guitar parts going into the climax of Ommadawn.Or like yourself some of those sections from Amarok you mention.One for the musicians though definetly.I guess there`s a distinct difference between technicaly fast i.e. fingering technique etc than there is to complicated chord shapes/movement across the fretboard.Which on the second score I`d maybe be going for something like some of the soloing on Side 4 of Incantations.I don`t know though I`m probablly way off?And there`s maybe loads of things that I hav`nt really considered as particularly difficult or fast that are even more demanding than some of the ones already mentioned here.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 13 2008, 04:13

Mike has sometimes in the past slowed down the tape when recording fast bits. Presumably we should discount those - assuming we can identify them in the first place!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 14:53

Interesting thread.I'd plump for the fast section played on a clean Fender strat on Amarok.The flamenco type bit (sorry i'm not familiar with the 'track' names).
 You raise a good point about the musical m**terbation thatt is fast playing for it's own sake.I can play fastish (though not really fast)but in a limited way.On the other hand i'm not really worried as i don't really get off on shredders and Malmsteen leaves me cold.I heard it described as guitar athletics or the 100 metre sprint on strings.
Mike can play blindingly fast but crucially it's still got feeling.It's not "look at me.I can playing a million scales very quickly....aren't i clever".Well yes you are but when are you going to play music? ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 14 2008, 00:10

Complete agreement about shredding.  But I'm likely to say that because I will never be a fast player myself.  Which doesn't bother me one bit-the bass is not a lead instrument and I don't have what it takes to be a hot dog in the spotlight anyway.  I've never thought MO was a hot dog.  When he's played fast I've always believed it served the song, and I think that's my main point here.  Also, I think inspiration is more important than chops.  That's probably why Marc Bolan has survived to this day, bless him.  He knew his skills were under the arm, but by God, he believed in himself with a conviction I've never seen before or since.  Of course, having the chops to back up your inspiration would be the best situation to be in.

I have nothing against Malmsteen, but I'll take the (intentionally bad) solo on The Bonzos' "Canyons Of Your Mind" over him any day!   :)

Slight t/j:  Does anyone else remember Chris Spedding's "Guitar Jamboree".  No relevance here, really, just always brings a big grin to my face!

:)

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2008, 02:48

Oh i love that solo!It's the screaming behind that makes it.BTW i love Neil Innes (the culprit behind that solo)as the minsrel behind sir Robin in Monty Python and The Holy Grail!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 12 2008, 17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net