Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What means Sentinel??, always wonder about that< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 19 2005, 21:51

so do you know?
i havent found a good answer on that one  :/

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 20 2005, 04:36

The word Sentinel means watcher,guard.But since you could  easily look up this info on dictionary website,must assume that you refer to what M.O interprets through his music?

I haven't listened to TBII for a while so,now good excuse to put on my old video :)
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2005, 07:21

I think I read many time ago somewhere about its relation with some book, or movie, or something about space and sci-fi. Can't remember more...
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2005, 07:34

Quote (Trinidad @ Sep. 20 2005, 12:21)
I think I read many time ago somewhere about its relation with some book, or movie, or something about space and sci-fi. Can't remember more...

For me there's a definite connection between the sentinel and the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I think the idea is further mirrored in TBIII with the tracks called 'The Source Of Secrets' and 'Secrets'; it really does make sense in terms of the mysterious black monolith in 2001. The twisted bell must be the oldfieldian equivalent of the monolith I think... (or is that just me overanalysing? :p )

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 15:28

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Sep. 20 2005, 14:34)
For me there's a definite connection between the sentinel and the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Not only that, The Sentinel was the title of short story Clarke wrote in the 40's (I think, might have been earlier or later) that he and Kubrick based 2001: A Space Odyssey on.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 17:32

Sunjammer was also a Clarke story (its name later became The Wind From The Sun). I would say that there's a definite connection there between the Clarke stories and Tubular Bells II - likely with Mike having kept in mind that Tubular Bells was V2001.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 03:40

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 21 2005, 22:32)
Sunjammer was also a Clarke story (its name later became The Wind From The Sun). I would say that there's a definite connection there between the Clarke stories and Tubular Bells II - likely with Mike having kept in mind that Tubular Bells was V2001.

Sunjammer as well? I wonder if there are any more links, perhaps rather subtle ones? It's certainly intriguing anyway...

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 05:49

many answers anyway  :)
thanks!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 17:55

It's interesting that although TSODE is officially the science fiction -themed album, with all the hints to Clarke and sci-fi in general (Dark Star is a cult sci-fi movie from the 70's. A horrible one at that) in TBII that album has a strong space theme as well.
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 18:59

I loved "Dark Star"... the one time I saw it during first release in the theatre.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 05:17

Well musically, Sentinel feels like the realisation of something good to me. I can quite easily picture say, a little girl who notices a man that's always watching from a distance, and she gets strange vibes, but then realises that he's here just to protect her. That's the imagery I get from the music, and it fits the track title too.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 12:30

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 24 2005, 01:59)
I loved "Dark Star"... the one time I saw it during first release in the theatre.

I enjoyed it when I saw it, but I wouldn't call it a good movie as such.
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since Sep. 19 2005, 21:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net