Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What is it you like most about Mike's music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
anewman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2013, 08:59

I'm struggling to put this into a nice succinct sentence/short paragraph myself, so thought I might ask the Tubular Army - and see if what they say explains what's in my heart.

I suspect there is already a similar topic but haven't been able to find it.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 17 2013, 14:05

At the beginning in 1973 I would have to say "pure shock value". Me and my brother heard a 7 or 8 minute edit of side one's climax on FM radio in 1973 and our jaws just dropped at the.......it had "shock value" in that it was fresh, new and something that sounded unlike anything anyone had done before. We had heard arty prog rock like ELP and Pink Floyd(still very new in 1973), but this "new guy" was incredible. I watched his career from that point on and collected them all. The thing about his music that kept me buying it(EAGERLY) was that it held my attention for as long as it lasted and beyond.....you know how you "play" a song in your head hours, days or years after you hear it? That's MO. He imagined melodies that grabbed your synapses and would never let go. Only a scant other few acts(mostly english prog) held me in this way for so many years....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
1 replies since June 15 2013, 08:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net