Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What is it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bones Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2004, 17:43

I was listening to "Music from the Balcony" a little earlier today, and i was curious as to what instrument was used at the begining of the piece (and throughout the track).  Its the first sound we hear just before the tranquil piano.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh and the sounds from the jungle.  Are they real?  Probably a bit of a dumb question but i'm curious.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 30 2004, 05:35

It depends what you mean by real. Mike didn't record the animal noises in his studio! neither did he make field recordings. What's most likely is that they came from a sample library as in MFTB they are very much treated as samples

As for the noise at the beginning, Matt told me that he got the same sound from an Emu Proteus synth - though I could be wrong. He'll be able to tell you more about it
Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Posted: June 01 2004, 15:06

Hehe yeah i was thinking he'd gone and recorded them on location or something.  or got someone else to do it.
Alrighty thanks again Jammer always a great help  :cool:

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 03 2004, 07:00

I can confirm: the noises at the beginning are from a EMU Proteus synth module. In fact if anyone uses Reason and is interested, I can send them a Reason songfile with the sounds and loop set up (details on my profile).

The jungle noises and stuff are probably from sample discs. Even the early Akai samplers with floppy disc drives came with a few discs of sounds and I've definitely heard some of the noises from that jungle section in other places.

I'm still not sure if Mike was going for an improv feel with this or just trying to rush something out so he could get with another record company (just to keep this from becoming a tech forums post). There are a lot of off-the-shelf sounds in here.
Profile PM 
3 replies since May 29 2004, 17:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net