[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What happened Olivier?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 09:22

Olivier

I've been reading through the old posts in this section and there's references from the start of the year to a discography and/or articles page where registered users post their reviews. I understand that we can just do this on the appropriate album forum, but I was just wondering what actually happened.

BTW, thanks for providing this service to Mike fans.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 12:02

I never did it. Too lazy. I would like to be sure it will be a success , because it requires several hours of programming. What I would like to do is a system similar to amazon.com reviews. Also, I think that ratings of MIDI files could be cool, of interviews too. This would help to go directly to the most interesting stuff. But I don't want to 'hurt' and discourage people who get bad ratings. So I don't really know how to do it.

For now, write your album reviews in the forums. I think I will just add a rating system ot the discography, and I've already put link to the forums. What should the unit be: a bell (e.g. "this is a 3 bells and a half album"), a guitar, a CD?
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 13:25

An Amadan! biggrin
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 20:36

To Olivier: I fully agree with you, both on the idea and on the use of a small Bell as measuring unit. How do you make an half-bell, though? wink
I'd like to suggest a little marking system:

1 Bell (minimum) : Bad
2 Bells : Not-so-good
3 Bells : Average
4 Bells : Good
5 Bells : Very good
6 Bells (maximum) : Excellent!

Or maybe 6 Bells are too many? smile

To Archangel Foster: What's an Amadan? biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 21:14

Hmmm,

Maybe a bell is a bit too obvious and common (that's if it is THE bell). Perhaps a new image is needed. My suggestion is:

The moon from the Crises cover (which should be easy to have half of) or any similar, easy-to-split image. OK, or The Bell.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 22:47

Ugo, please tell me, how can one bell mean 'bad'?
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 18:50

Ok, Archangel, let's put it this way...

One Bell [or whatever else...I don't think that the Crises moon is a good idea because there's nothing particularily Mike-ish about it... smile] is the minimum mark; five (or six) Bells (or whatever else) are the maximum mark. THe judgements are subjective and they can (of course) change. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 18:55

...and just to show how subjective these things are:

To me Amarok is *****, Crises is ***1/2, QE2 is *** and HO (except for No Dream and MFTB) is *. Obviously I don't have a Bell or anything similar on my PC keyboard... smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 20:04

Yes, there should be an option to 'edit' your votes. Opinions change - I can tell you something about that... smile
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2000, 08:36

But, unlike the posts on these forums, only you can edit your rating. (I know that's obvious, but still...)

How would you make half a bell though (visually)? Would you just chop it straight down the middle, or deconstruct it so that the two "legs" of the Bent Bell are separated, or just straighten it out and cut from there?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2000, 15:54

OK, here's my suggestion:

0 (bells or whatever) - don't like it (for whatever reason)
1 - fine
2 - good
3 - very good
4 - extremely good smile

And then there should be something else than the bell-or-whatever to say 'this is so good I can't rate it'.
Because, as far as Mike's music is concerned, I don't think we need ratings like 'bad' or even 'average'.
Of course, regarding interviews, it might be a different thing.

PS. And does it really have to be The Bell? (Although I must admit I don't have a better suggestion.)

PPS. Oh! Just thought of something smile
1 - Bronze
2 - Silver
3 - Gold
4 - Platinum! biggrin

(0? Don't know - plastic?)
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2000, 20:34

Archangel Foster:

That's what I was trying to do, find some other Mike-related image rather than The Bell, which is getting old and isn't really up to every single little bit of service it is required for. However, I couldn't come up with anything either, so I've had to stick with the bell (for the moment)

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 08:08

How about a Piltdown Man or a Big Fat Snake?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 08:26

I think it needs to be something bell-related...like the sound a bell makes. Yes, that's it! It works like this:

"I give TB3 four dongs!"

No, wait...that doesn't sound quite right...
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 14:53

Well, if you really have to make it a bell - you might just as well make it out of different kinds of metal?! (Don't like the idea of having various numbers of bells - after all, there's just one on the covers of the TB albums, isn't there?)

PS. (I seem to PS an awful lot these days...) As for the lowest rating - that then should be cloth biggrin (-> doesn't sound...)!
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 21:05

But there are multiple bells on the MB cover (but that doesn't count). And it's the same bell repeated over and over again.

How about a seperate image for each rank, increasing in Oldfield familiarity. So, the lowest rank would be really obscure and only a fanatic would recognise it, for example Archangel Foster's suggestion of cloth. The list then progresses on to the highest rank, which is of the course The Bell, which should be recognised by everyone.

How 'bout that?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 06 2001, 17:21

I still don't know which unit to use (maybe a volume button: from 1 to 10, not, to 11), but I have an idea about the rating system: you would vote in your profile page (the page you filled up when you registered in the forums). So everybody could see your favorite albums, and you could edit your rates easily. And I would do a program that calculate the average for each album, and display it in the discography section. You like it? You hate it? Does it inspire you other ideas? I think it's not a bad idea to allow only members of these forums to vote. This way, we ensure the votes are serious.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2001, 09:08

Like it, Olivier, like it. Still uncertain about the unit of measurement though.

-Tim-

Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2001, 09:52

Like it, too.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 20:40

Hopefully this will allow people to see proper ratings for Mike Oldfield's albums, rather than those in encyclopaedias of (rock) music like the Virgin illustrated one, which has the following votes (only for albums up to 1997, I'm a bit out of date at the moment):

Tubular Bells: 4/5
Hergest Ridge: 3/5
Orchestral Tubular Bells: 3/5
Ommadawn: 3/5
Incantations: 2/5
Exposed: 2/5
Platinum: 2/5
QE2: 2/5
Five Miles Out: 2/5
Crises: 2/5
Discovery: 2/5
Killing Fields: 2/5
Islands: 2/5
Earth Moving: 2/5
Amarok: 2/5
Heaven's Open: 2/5
Tubular Bells II: 3/5
Songs of Distant Earth: 2/5
Voyager: 2/5
Boxed: 3/5
Complete Mike Oldfield: 3/5

These are not my votes, because if they were, none of the albums would have 2/5 (well, the ones I've heard anyway). So let's show the world that many of Mike's albums are worthy of a higher mark than 2/5.

-Tim-

Profile PM WEB 
49 replies since Dec. 28 2000, 09:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net