Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What Guitar is Mike Using????, Technical< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 09:01

Hi.This is the first time i've posted so forgive me if the topics been covered(couldn't find it if it has).
 As a guitarist i've always been very interested in the guitars used by Mr O.We all know the Gibson SG Juniors,the 'Marc Bolan' Fender Telecaster used on TB and the 'Moonlight  Shadow@ Fender strat plus all the others we all know and love.However over the course of the last 18-24 months all of these appear to have been sold (to very lucky,not to mention wealthy,fans).So the question is,if all the guitars have been sold,what is he playing now????

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 17:00

I guess he's playing his second-favourite guitar (his absolute fav, as far as I know, being his 1963 pink Stratocaster), that is - the PRS 24-key Custom. It's the one he appears to use the most, at least in his videos. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 17:22

In fact, it´s a PRS Signature, which he is playing since the days of Earth Moving.

Apart from several attempts to auction off the Fender Telecaster it still has not been sold. The fiesta red Stratocaster has a new owner now, but it looks like the "Moonlight Shadow" Stratocaster (two tone sunburst) is still in Mikes hands.

I would also guess that he still keeps his Gibson L-6S Deluxe known from the Exposed video and the Platinum album.

No one knows what happened to the Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty), the Gibson ES-335 red, the Roland G-808 and the Danelectro Coral SITAR guitar.

Any hints are welcome.

For further information have a look at the instrument list on this site.

Hope that helps a little bit.

:cool:
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 19:17

He is playing acoustic guitars mostly now,  I have Mike's Martin 00-21 and the frets are realy worn, to the point of needing some work on the second fret at it has a deep grove in it from paying it so much - and I can see why because it is a very nice sound.  Look at the recent interviews and you will see a couple of acoustics he has not sold, one steel and one clasical gut.  More modern guitars - as he tends to wear frets out!!!!  But I agreee with MITR that he still has his yelow PRS Custom 24 (The one with the really nice tiger stripes) so all is not lost.

And if you look in the threads on mike's guitar sale from Feb 2006 everyone who bought one of his guitars has said that if he ever needs to borrow them back to use for anything, he need only drop us a line on this forum or via chandlers and he can get to use them again if he needs to.

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 09:36

Quote (manintherain @ Jan. 18 2008, 22:22)
No one knows what happened to the Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty), the Gibson ES-335 red, the Roland G-808 and the Danelectro Coral SITAR guitar.

manintherain,

If by Roland G-808 you are referring to this guitar:

It is actually a G-88 and is in very good hands!

You can find information about it with some video at:

Roland G88 controller
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 10:04

Thanks Airborne,

but the one I meant is in fact the G-808.

You can see it on one of the pictures from the inner sleeve of the Discovery album on the right.

;)
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 10:17

Ah, I see, he had both.
Don't know what happened to that one.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 15:36

Hey - That's my guitar there  - 5th one across from left!!!!  Gosh it looks nice and yellow in that picture!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2008, 05:36

It would be interesting to see the old L6S.Having bought the exposed DVD it has a fantastic tone.Not as good as the SG Junior but still good.Didn't realise he had 2 pink strats though.
I saw Mike on the Then And Now tour in B'ham.The PRS sounded sweet!!!Like i said,very lucky fans have got the guitars.Be good to have the LP Junior.Does it play well?

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 09:47

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 21 2008, 11:36)
Didn't realise he had 2 pink strats though.

Were did you get that from?

He only had one pink Stratocaster that wasn´t pink but fiesta red and now has been sold.

Please have a look at the instrument list.

;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 09:59

My mistake.Got somewhat confused.Checked it out and you're right.Oops.I remember reading an interview where Mike said it was a Selmer re-fin over sunburst which makes sense.According to Fender Fiesta red was not officially available but Selmer (who distributed them at that point)would re-finish them in this colour due to the popularity of the shadows at that time.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 12:03

Yes, it's definitely finished over sunburst - it's quite clearly visible in the areas where the red has been worn off. Whether that's a sign that Selmer refinished it is less certain - it wasn't uncommon for Fender to simply spray over finishes which hadn't passed quality control. However, the colour suggests that it may indeed be one of those which Selmer refinished. I remember Bruce Welch of The Shadows (who now owns Hank Marvin's Strat, which was unfortunately refinished in white while Cliff Richard owned it, but restored by Bruce back to what he believes is the original colour) talking about this - he claimed that Hank's Strat was never the bright orangey-red colour which is the Fender Fiesta Red, but rather a more pinkish-red colour. Hank's was, I've read, one of the guitars refinished by Selmer...
As far as I understand it, Fiesta Red was available, just not as common, but because of the popularity of The Shadows, it was a lot more easy to sell Fiesta Red Strats than sunburst ones...so they did the obvious thing and sprayed them red instead!

They do fade over time, though, which accounts for some of the variations in hue between different examples of what's supposedly the same colour. Still, Bruce Welch was quite adamant about the original colour of Hank's Strat, and the signs do point to Mike's having had a similar history. For reference, here's a nice picture of a '62 Strat which definitely has a factory Fiesta Red finish.

Whether the product of fading or of UK distributor refinishing, I do have to say I prefer the salmon pink colour to the original Fiesta Red, which I find a bit garish.

That L6-S...I have to say, though I thought there was something quite cool about that guitar after Tony Zemaitis customised it, I was never too much of a fan of the sound. It seemed rather too brittle for my liking, at least in Mike's hands. That said, if someone were to want to give it to me, I'd not say no...
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 13:12

Thanks Korgscrew,

that clears up a little bit.

But it looks like Hank Marvins guitar has had a different colour than Mikes (maybe candy apple red metallic):

And yes, fiesta red was officially available by Fender:

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 13:43

That picture of Hank's Strat would be after Bruce Welch had it refinished (by Chandler Guitars, coincidentally...) - he said it was a solid pinkish red he had it restored to, rather than a metallic red, so I imagine it's probably just a case of the lighting in the picture appear closer to candy apple red than fiesta red/salmon pink. However, as far as I know, it was refinished in the colour he remembered it being before Cliff Richard had it refinished in white, rather than it being done from a colour chart or anything like that, so I'd not take its current colour as being an accurate reference. The new Hank Marvin signature models have all been fiesta red, though I have a feeling they did alter the colour in some of the later ones - presumably Hank felt the same as Bruce did, that it wasn't quite the same shade as what his original one was.

Such controversy over a single paint colour - it's worse than trying to pick a shade for painting the living room!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 14:15

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 22 2008, 19:43)
Such controversy over a single paint colour - it's worse than trying to pick a shade for painting the living room!

Yeah, but it´s Rock'n'Roll history!

:)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 05:43

And the best of it is people will argue over this forever more.I'd just like to thank everyone who's put their bit in on this topic.A simple question and loads of opinions-glad i registered!In reply to Korgscrew's comment on the L6S,after the Zemaitis customisation the electronics were also altered.Orginally there would have been a 4-way rotary switch and volume and tone similar in appearance to the Gibson Vari-Tone switch.This appears to have been changed to a 3 way toggle type after the Zemaitis scratch plate was added.Also the guitar recieved a standard stop tailpiece rather than the through stringing as original.They were never really that popular though.I believe Carlos Santana and Al Di Meola were the only really high profile users.
 Nice looking though and prices are on the rise.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2008, 06:42

I've got an L5-s

--------------
Profile PM 
JBG Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 11:32

I own a L6s deluxe, the same style as featured on the exposed LP ( before the Zematis Customising ).

It has a 3 way switch and through body stringing, the earlier standard issues had the rotary dial. This is also noticed by the difference in Scratch plate, the earlier ones had a more rounded scratch plate whereas the deluxe had a more pointy scratchplate.

The neck is a slim profile and personally a dream to play.

I also find that the sustain on this guitar remarkable, often comented upon when I have played it live.

--------------
The mark of a good musician is if you can play one note and mean it ....
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 11:14

I was in fact reading the very article in which Mike says he has and L5 last night.It's in the Articles section on the maun site under the sub heading A Rare Interview With The Studio Wizard.It's from '78.Is it a typo or did Mike have a solid L5-S?What do you know Korg?It's a while before the tour.Did he get the L6 before or during the making of Incantations?The plot thickens and we guitar nerds are a picky bunch ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 17:17

If he ever had either an L5-CES archtop or an L5-S solidbody, I've never come across any evidence of it (apart from that article). I always assumed that was a mistake, either by the magazine or Mike.

I don't know exactly when he got the L6-S. I'm certain he used it on the album - that long solo in Part 3 stands out in my mind as being a passage where it's used (going both by the sound and the fact he uses all 24 frets). I find its sound particularly distinctive in the higher registers, it's a much sharper sound than the juniors.

He had both a custom and a deluxe, actually - the custom is the wine red guitar he took on the '79 tour as a spare (as you'll see in the Exposed video when he's forced to make a quick swap during the opening of Tubular Bells! ).
Profile PM 
21 replies since Jan. 18 2008, 09:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net