Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Eirik
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 22 2005, 18:38

I think we need another Amarok now!
Amarok was the album where Mike showed the world that he could still make good instrumental music after destroying his carrieer by the last two pretty lame albums (islands,earth moving). Even tough Mike has released many good records in the 90's and 00's, I would say that together with Tub 2, Amarok was one of the last Oldfield albums so far.
Just imagine how great it would be for the fans if he did something like this again instead of making crappy games
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 23 2005, 05:28

If he did do another Amarok style album, wouldn't he be just as guilty of re-hashing old stuff as if he did another Tubular Bells?

At the risk of sounding boring or cliched, I think he should do whatever he feels inspired to do. Anything else would just sound half-hearted.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 23 2005, 11:17

I agree with that. Better have an, I dunno, inspired Hip Hop album than a third-rate Amarok that sounds like crap, IMO.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2005, 19:15

i always wanted mike to do a story album with narrative, solmething like War of the Worlds, im sure he would produce a cracking album.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 15:11

Mike became famous for long, mainly instrumental pieces covering a myriad of styles and genres - not just one. This is what made him famous and this is what I love above all of his other output.

So I would favour a return to long instrumentals, played on real instruments and percussion, fewer synths, folk, rock, prog, celtic, new age, etc - all in the same bag, shaken up and see what emerges.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 18:59

Quote (T4 @ Mar. 25 2005, 20:11)
Mike became famous for long, mainly instrumental pieces covering a myriad of styles and genres - not just one. This is what made him famous and this is what I love above all of his other output.

So I would favour a return to long instrumentals, played on real instruments and percussion, fewer synths, folk, rock, prog, celtic, new age, etc - all in the same bag, shaken up and see what emerges.

I agree with your first paragraph T4 :) , and favour a return to the long instumentals of the '70's.  

Call me ignorant, but I'm not sure what you mean by fewer synths,rock, prog,celtic and new age, then shake it all up and see what emerges.   Are you saying that you wish for Mike to mix up various styles of music, and see what emerges.  

Personally speaking I love all Mike's '70's work, and some of the '80's work. From TB2 onwards I don't think Mike has released anything bad .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Eirik
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 19:16

When I said "new Amarok" I didn't meant "Amarok2005" or anything. My point was that Mike jumped from a bad pop album into a great long instrumental in just one year. I thougt it would be great if he did something like that again: shocked the fans with another great long instrumental masterpiece.

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 13:10

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 25 2005, 18:59)
Quote (T4 @ Mar. 25 2005, 20:11)

I agree with your first paragraph T4 :) , and favour a return to the long instumentals of the '70's.  

Call me ignorant, but I'm not sure what you mean by fewer synths,rock, prog,celtic and new age, then shake it all up and see what emerges.   Are you saying that you wish for Mike to mix up various styles of music, and see what emerges.  

Personally speaking I love all Mike's '70's work, and some of the '80's work. From TB2 onwards I don't think Mike has released anything bad .

I agree - my second para reads ambiguously.

I meant a return to the 70s style of mixing the various genres (Folk, Rock, New Age, Celtic, Prog, etc) using fewer synths than he does these days and returning to more basic instrumentation (that's where the emotion comes from). Synths and technology may make life a lot easier and exploited to the limit, I guess possibilities are almost endless. But it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth and Mike doesn't achieve that presently.

Now, Wakeman, Banks, Emerson and Moraz are a completely different kettle of fish.....   ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 16:45

Quote (T4 @ Mar. 27 2005, 18:10)
it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth and Mike doesn't achieve that presently.

Now, Wakeman, Banks, Emerson and Moraz are a completely different kettle of fish.....   ;)

Mike is known as a multi instrumentallist, rather than being famous for a particular instrument, despite primarily being a guitarist.  It  
riles me  :( , that when it comes to guitar greats, such as Hendrix, May,Page, Clapton,Gilmour etc, the name OLDFIELD,is missing from that list.

Personally speaking I don't think Mike has released anything bad from TB2 onwards.  I agree that it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth.  As Mike mainly plays guitars,
then perhaps he isn't a keyboard genius, but he is quite good      :) IMHO.  His albums from TB2 onwards are among the most frequently played , (along with Tubular Bells Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations).

Keith Emerson: No wonder he's called the "Jimi Hendrix of the keyboard", what a great :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 17:47

Quote (T4 @ Mar. 27 2005, 19:10)
But it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth and Mike doesn't achieve that presently.

Do you think midi-guitar is a kind of synth? Just because Enigmatism with its mysterious sounds is able to provoke enormous emotions inside me.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 23:07

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 27 2005, 16:45)
Quote (T4 @ Mar. 27 2005, 18:10)
it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth and Mike doesn't achieve that presently.

Mike is known as a multi instrumentallist, rather than being famous for a particular instrument, despite primarily being a guitarist.  It  
riles me  :( , that when it comes to guitar greats, such as Hendrix, May,Page, Clapton,Gilmour etc, the name OLDFIELD,is missing from that list.

Personally speaking I don't think Mike has released anything bad from TB2 onwards.  I agree that it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth.  As Mike mainly plays guitars,
then perhaps he isn't a keyboard genius, but he is quite good      :) IMHO.  His albums from TB2 onwards are among the most frequently played , (along with Tubular Bells Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations).

Keith Emerson: No wonder he's called the "Jimi Hendrix of the keyboard", what a great :)

I agree with you that Mike should be included when guitar greats are mentioned or listed. It not only riles me but baffles me as to why he never seems to be included.  :/

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 23:11

Quote (EeToN @ Mar. 27 2005, 17:47)
Quote (T4 @ Mar. 27 2005, 19:10)
But it takes a truly great keyboard player to get emotion out of a synth and Mike doesn't achieve that presently.

Do you think midi-guitar is a kind of synth? Just because Enigmatism with its mysterious sounds is able to provoke enormous emotions inside me.

Crikey. Excellent question. Would that be like saying that a sampled guitar played on a keyboard is a guitar? Rhetorical question - let me ponder that after a few hours sleep ('tis late and I really should be getting some shut eye now) and I'm not sure it is a fair comparison to make.

I will blow the cobwebs off 'Guitars' and give the album a listen - the first time in a long time. I welcome comments like yours as occasionally they persuade me to give something I may have been quite dismissive about in the past, another chance.  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 11:11

T4, as well as being riled about Mike not being included among the greatest guitar players, it  baffles me too  :/  :O !!!

I do have a few gaps in my MO colletion, at the mo.  I bought "Guitars" recently, IMHO it's well worth blowing the cobwebs off of your copy, it's a  good album    :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 11:29

Thanks Moonchildhippy. I have done just that and listened this afternoon. :D

I will post my track by track opinion as a new thread on the Guitars forum.

Thanks again to EeToN for making me ponder this album further and in answer to the guitar synth question, some of the sounds are amazing and simply sound as though a keyboard is being used. But the emotion in tracks like Enigmatism for me, comes from the guitar work primarily, ably supported by the guitar synth. The guitar synth emulates some lovely sounds but they don't shout out, scream, weep or cry buckets like a guitar sound can. I hope that makes sense!  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Mesje Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 17:40

Has anyone mentioned "The wind chimes"?  I am still waiting for another " The Lake"-like piece, as well. All in all what I would like Mike to do is something suprising and usual - at the same time! :-)

--------------
"I CAN SEE THERE'S GONNA BE A MESSAGE FROM AFAR"
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 19:04

Quote (Mesje @ May 16 2005, 23:40)
All in all what I would like Mike to do is something suprising and usual - at the same time! :-)

It would be usual if he surprised us with new ideas. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Trillian Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 09:50

The Africa part of Amarok is great - Why not make an album of Africa-style music? Those people have such beautiful languages... Time for some choirs! And some tubular bells and nice guitars beside the African drums, ofcourse ;)
Another symphony like Amarok or Tubular Bells would be very nice, too.
But let's just see what Light and Shade sounds like first. TSODE was brilliant, so perhaps, this album too...

--------------
~*Trillian*~
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 09:54

Bluegrass  :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 09:51

Personally I want a more trancey style. Basically anything with synths will do, he's quite skilled with them.  :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 18:58

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Aug. 20 2005, 14:54)
Bluegrass  :D

I think Mike has done this on Tubular Bells II ~ Moonshine ~ always makes me smile! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net