Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Woman in the rain Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 15:42

I want a "VoyagerII"
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 19:20

I'd like to see him do an album length melodic trance, acid house, breakbeat, or expecially acid jazz track.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 07:15

For the next Mike Oldfield album.....

I would like something in between the sound and styles of Ommadawn and The Songs of Distant Earth.

Ommadawn has the earthy and rustic charm, with a very natural sound to the instruments, but TSODE gave us real atmospheres and some of Mike's most melodic work, linked by a strong concept.

Long pieces of music.

And NO vocal songs!!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Legend Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 14:58

Classic!!! A la Mont St. Michel or something baroque. Add some spanish and electric guitar and the album title should be "Barock"!!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 18:08

Interesting concept. I suspect it would sound something similar to Sky Volume 2.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 18:42

I have to admit, I really like Sky2...

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 18:55

I want him to do something which he sings, or perhaps I should say screams or grunts.  His voice is endearing to me.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2007, 06:15

Whatever Mike does next, I want it to end with a guitar version of 'The Gondoliers' (acts I and II).

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2007, 10:08

I think viking metal. With Mike dressed as one for the cover. \w/ Somehow I think not tho :(

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2007, 12:38

Has he done French Accordian Music yet?

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2007, 15:16

I want him to do an epic 4-hour opera with synthetic singers.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2007, 03:58

I want to see an album entitled "Mike Oldfield Does Banjo"...

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2007, 05:19

Mike Oldfield does Chas and Dave  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 06 2007, 08:06

I wanted him to do an album solely of covers of songs from The Backyardigans.

At the same time, I don't.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2007, 10:30

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Nov. 06 2007, 08:58)
I want to see an album entitled "Mike Oldfield Does Banjo"...

Or even better (killing two of your birds with one stone, Tony):
'Mike Oldfield Does French Accordion Music on the Banjo'.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2007, 23:18

Thanks to Alan, I can no longer read the word 'banjo' without wanting to add 'plastic, battery-powered' in front of it.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 14:59

I would like him to do an album with only acoustic instruments and especially guitar. Some world music styles in there.

I don't think he has done enough of records with him playing acoustic guitar. We all know he kills on it.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 19:54

Quote (imhotep @ Dec. 08 2007, 20:59)
I would like him to do an album with only acoustic instruments [...]

He just did... :D :D

Apart from this, of course he is a great acoustic guitarist. But, as far as I can see from his various live performances, he is also very nervous when playing acoustically... he seems to feel safer on a PRS or a Fender Strat. ;) On TB (1973) you can hear some quite heavy breathing when he plays classical guitar... I've always interpreted that as a sign of extreme nervousness. And in the Jools Holland performance, you can almost see (if not feel...) his palms sweating hard right before he starts playing "Serpent Dream". :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 03:19

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 08 2007, 19:54)
Apart from this, of course he is a great acoustic guitarist. But, as far as I can see from his various live performances, he is also very nervous when playing acoustically... he seems to feel safer on a PRS or a Fender Strat. ;) On TB (1973) you can hear some quite heavy breathing when he plays classical guitar... I've always interpreted that as a sign of extreme nervousness. And in the Jools Holland performance, you can almost see (if not feel...) his palms sweating hard right before he starts playing "Serpent Dream". :D

I wonder why that would be. Considering Mike's life-long familiarity with acoustic guitar, I'd have assumed he'd be at least as comfortable as with electric guitar. But perhaps acoustic is less forgiving of mistakes because it is used in a more lyrical capacity?

--------------
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 03:39

...Number 42 please....

Oh hi, could I have 200 grammes of long instrumental with 5 slices of freshly tuned acoustic guitar please? Oh and I rather like the look of those electric guitars, so I'll have a couple of those and definitely some your finest healthy option bass.

Nearly forgot...a side order of tour dates for afters too please.

Thank you

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net