Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What equipment are you using?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 14 2004, 08:38

I'm interested to find out what equipment you are all using to write your tracks.

It would be useful to anyone if you posted details of what you used for composing (not necessarily instruments), and would save me having to ask all the time :)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 14 2004, 12:35

For gear I have my Yamaha ERG-121 as I said in the other thread about what we play and how long. Along with my MT-200 and MT-32 midi modules for all my sounds of everything else I can't make with guitar. And a Boss GT-6 effects proccessor.

For my mixing program I have a cheap $12 CAD 16-track program called Magix Audio Studio I got at Radio Shack. Piece of junk, really, but I know how to use it inside out and it get's the job done. The reverb and equilizer are crap, though, so I have to do all the mixing of each instrument on my GT-6 BEFORE I record it because my GT-6 sounds better than this dumb program. But it seems to have worked thus far. I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card I use for recording on a Pentium 4 2.5ghz 256mb RAM.

I believe that's all the important specs.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 14 2004, 15:05

For composing, I would tend to use my head...that sounds like a silly answer, but it's the truth! I sometimes help it along with an instrument - keyboards and acoustic guitars are very useful for that, but all sorts can be helpful occasionally - and may sketch things out by tapping notes into a sequencer, which I find tends to be a good way to go if I'm attempting a big arrangement, as it lets me keep track of things when I'm playing with possibilities. I occasionally write things down on paper as a reference, and sometimes sketch out recordings using a cheap computer microphone, for the sake of immediacy (and because I find the lo-fi recordings quite entertaining).

What I'm currently working on musically is all in my head for the moment though. Some of the ideas I'm borrowing from earlier demo recordings I've done, and I play the new parts on the guitar or another instrument occasionally, but most of the work tends to get done while I'm walking down the street!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2004, 22:38

That's one thing I'm unable to do. Write music on paper. Even in my own way. I just can't do it. Tried it once. It's just very weird. Too weird to overlook and get stuff done using it. I just remember it in my head or record a quick version on the computer.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Q! Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2004, 08:54

equipment: duron 1ghz, 384 megs of ram, sb live card + fl studio 4 with as many samples and plugins as i can find + and old-ass midi keyboard which is not even mine :)

as far as composing goes, i just improvize. sometimes i will hear a melody in my head, but if i dont record it immediately, it goes poof :)

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2004, 09:54

I also tend to compose in my head. When I'm alone, or walking on the street, I'm constantly humming, whistling and muttering words, and sometimes, I realise I just created something fantastic. And then, I run to the computer and throw the notes on my trusty Cakewalk Pro Audio MIDI program. Or, when I'm away, I throw the ideas on paper. I currently have a sheet of paper *filled* with random annotations that I'll use in the composition I'm working on at this moment. Either that, or I start throwing noted in the staff, or the piano roll, and some nifty ideas start to sprout. Or, in rare occasions, I hit a few notes by accident in the keyboard (or acoustic guitar), and transform it into a song.

To write the songs, I use the computer. Plain and simple. Good ole MIDI. In ye olde days, I recorded the entire MIDI compositions into WAV, and that's that. With a new, better soundcard, I started recording each instrument individually (in analog!!;), leaving everything in its right place. Much more professional. Now, with a microphone in my hands, I also start throwing sounds of objects, and my own voice, sometimes. Much more fun. ;) But, in all, it's all computer.

Sometimes, I hate depending on my 'puter for everything. :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 10:12

Combination of:

Magix Audio Studio
Cakewalk Music Creator
Acid 4.0
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 11:17

cubase sx
Halion sampler
edirol orchestra
edirol quartet
bheringer preamp
start + fender
fender performer 650 amp
zoom multi effect which sucks
fender acoustic guitar
pro-53 synth which mike used on TB 2003
2 SM-58 microphones
few nice female singers I know.
a very old 80 yamaha keyboard with midi cable, but i really am not a good jeyboard player :)
Profile PM 
MaS Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2004, 17:05

Hardware: PC Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz; soundcard Yamaha SW1000XG; synthesizer Yamaha SY77; sampler Akai S950; multitracker Fostex X-28H; FX processor Boss Pro SE-50.
Software: Cubase SX; HALion and lots of other VSTi's; WaveLab; XGEdit; ...
Accoustic: Folkguitar; classical guitar; Turkish saz; a stringed instrument from Marocco; Greek shaker and an Yugoslavian flute.

--------------
MaS, midician
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2004, 12:43

I'm computer based - PC at the moment but probably moving to Mac before the year is out. Until fairly recently I used Cubase a lot, but more and more I've been doing almost everything in Reason then only using Cubase to add real instruments (like guitars or voices) or VST instruments. I have a Roland XP10, Roland MT-32, Korg O5R/W which is most of my MIDI setup but I actually sampled lots of sounds from my keyboards and friends keyboards (like the Vox Continental and the Fairlight CMI) which means that more and more I'm based entirely inside the computer and only using the keyboard to put notes in. I also use lots of little programs to play with sounds and mess about with things.

I have two ways of working; sometimes I have an idea before I sit down at the computer and it fleshes itself out as I go along and other times I mess about with sounds and different treatments of sounds and an idea comes to me. A lot of times it's a mixture of both; sometimes the sounds and treatments don't give me any ideas but later on I have a musical idea in my head and suddenly I have a use for the sounds I made.

I hope that all made sense and didn't sound too pretentious!
Profile PM 
akane Offline

Posted: April 16 2004, 08:22

my equipment :

Intel 1Gh8, 728Mb RAM

guitars : line6 variax, gibson SG-x,charvel fusion custom, takamine en30c, fender mandolin
Boss gt-6 processor,
Synths and others : roland jv1010,korg er1, akai sg 01p, alesis sr16. berhinger mx2004a, shure sm57, senheiser 485es

that's all, I think =)

--------------
Blue Haired Akané
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since Feb. 14 2004, 08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net