Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: what else do you listen?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
theweightless Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2002, 16:07

i know everyone have asked this many times...but anyway what do you listen?
here's something i like too...but there's no comparing to mike biggrin

dave matthews band
pink floyd
live
john fogerty+(ccr)
mark knopfler+(dire straits)
chris rea
gary moore
phil collins+(genesis)
offspring
scorpions
sting+(police)

these are the ones i mainly listen...when mike's not playing in my cd cool

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 12 2002, 11:40

Right now I listen mostly to Mike's music as there's so much variety and great music that it keeps me happy.

On ocassion i'll listen to Camel and Fairport Convention too.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 12 2002, 14:32

so much music outhere...i see that when i ask these questions...i have never heard about those bands/musicians. but i've got all the time to find out. cool

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2002, 14:35

Badly Drawn Boy
Cure
Enya
Mike Oldfield
Paul Simon / Simon & Garfunkel
Peter Gabriel
Pixies
Radiohead
REM
Smashing Pumpkins
U2

very much dislike:
Phil Collins
Starsailor
Stereophonics

very disappointed with:
pink floyd

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 12 2002, 16:06

how can you be dissapointed with Pink Floyd,as they have influenced every other artist you listed above?
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 12 2002, 19:50

Pink Floyd is not Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Hence, anything released after The Final Cut (which could be argued, was Roger's first solo album) has been disappointing. The Floyd will never recapture the glory days of 1973 - 1980 without Roger.

Given Dave Gilmour's attitude towards Floyd in recent interviews, it's likely that Division Bell will be the last album of new material we hear from them anyway!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 13 2002, 10:42

Fair point,i think everyone agrees that the Floyd has never been,and will never be the same without Roger,also if Roger was still in the Floyd,and say David Gilmour left,again we would be saying that the Floyd is not the same when David Gilmour was in it.Which if you see Roger's new show,it is great,but it really does miss "The Gilmour Sound".But to make a statement that the Floyd is dissapointing i think is off the mark,it's difficult to asses a band that has not recorded anything new for almost a decade.i mean would anyone say that they are dissapointed with The Beatles?and how long is it since they last recorded.!!!!!
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 13 2002, 13:07

pink floyd influenced Simon and Garfunkel?...anyway, what i meant was that, i bought the Dark Side Of The Moon LP with an open mind and fully prepared for great things...and it just bored me, how anyone could remotely compare it to Tubular Bells or Ommadawn is beyond me...i'm sure that at the time it was 'revolutionary' but now it just sounds dated and tired to my ears, devoid of passion...apart from the sound effects, it sounds like any other bunch of corporate rock songs...i just find that they are held in such high respect by the common music fan, whereas Mike isn't really, and that Mike is infinitely, infinitely better than pink floyd...i would also dispute some of the other artists that i listed having been influence by pink floyd (Peter Gabriel? Enya? Pixies?) but if you like them then i fully respect and understand...they are just not my preverbial cup of tea!...
Oliver

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 13 2002, 19:04

well i like more gilmours pink floyd...but that's just me. specially the division bell...great.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: April 14 2002, 01:46

what do I listen... (first = most often) smile

1. Mike Oldfield
2. Jean Michel Jarre
3. Scooter
4. Vangelis
5. Oliver Shanti
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 14 2002, 05:08

Agree with Man in the Rain about Pink Floyd - I find them quite dated and boring now. I used to listen to them a lot (especially 'Obscured By Clouds' which probably is still be all time fave of theirs). Only Mike's music has had real long-term staying power with me.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
RichardT Offline

Posted: April 15 2002, 17:20

Things like:
Focus, Camel, Jan Hammer
Captain Beyond, old Ted Nugent
Satriani, Vai, Steve Morse, Shawn Lane, Jeff Beck
Beatles, Queen, old Alice Cooper, Bebop Deluxe, The Producers
SR Vaughan, Johnny Winter, Wishbone Ash
Bill Bruford, Yes, ELP,
Genesis around Seconds Out
Larry Fast/Synergy
k d lang, Rickie Lee Jones
Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite
Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite
Lately - Elvis Costello, Gerry Rafferty

Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 16 2002, 00:08

Besides being a fan of MO's music, i like to listen to dance/club music. i prefer a lot of up-beat trance/techno/progressive music to other types or genres out there. i prefer music w/out words .

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 18 2002, 19:11

qjamesfloyd - I was assessing Pink Floyd since the Final Cut, irrespective of whether they have recorded for 10 years or not, I personally have been disappointed with both Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell...

I consider them mediocre albums in comparison to earlier releases and will not heap praise on anything and everything, just because it carries the Pink Floyd moniker.

Similarly, I have been disappointed with 90's releases of Yes, Genesis and ELP - all a far cry from their inspirational 70's peak!

There are many new bands around now, who but for more publicity and less media contempt of the progressive genre, deserve much greater recognition such as, Transatlantic, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Vulgar Unicorn, Magellan, Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings. These have, IMHO, taken away the symphonic/progressive crown from the 'heavyweights'. smile

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: April 24 2002, 08:34

hey, i like (in no particular order, and mr. oldfield excluded):

camel
caravan
pink floyd
jimi hendrix
the doors
supertramp
dream theater/liquid tension experiment
frank zappa
the mahavishnu orchestra
miles davis
john coltrane
bill evans
boards of canada
autechre
aphex twin

some stuff i've checked but didn't like a whole lot:
led zeppelin (a few great songs)
vangelis (1492 is great, but i can't stand some of his other records)
genesis (yuck, i hate the synth sounds they used)
jarre (this is boring)

about pink floyd, i can't say i'm a big fan of roger waters. his lyrics are some of the best i ever heard, but in my opinion floyd's music sounded less inspired the more influence he had in the making of it (the wall and the final cut are the pf albums i enjoy the least, and waters' solo stuff is even worse). i find the division bell very enjoyable, and also momentary lapse of reason to a certain extent. gilmour and wright are as good as ever, "keep talking" and "high hopes" from the division bell are two of the best song i ever heard, by any band. and by the way, no one else likes zappa? i think he's worth checking out. he's not too far from mike's music, i'd say.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 24 2002, 18:00

hi Thomas...could you recommend an album of Zappa's as an introduction to his music? As a fellow Oldfield fan, which do you think that I may like? Thanks for any advice!!!...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 03:58

recommending a zappa album is quite difficult for me, since i was introduced to his music quite recently and have only bought a few albums since - this guy was pretty darn productive, with some 60 albums released :P both he and mike used humour as a common element in their music, perhaps zappa to a greater extent. also, zappa did quite a lot of instrumental stuff, with some of his more simple melodies resembling mike's. however, and this is a BIG however, zappa's music often has a jazzy vibe, something mike's virtually never has. but if you do like jazz, i recommend "Hot Rats" and "The Grand Wazoo" by zappa, they both have long instrumental passages and brilliant orchestral/brass arrangements. Zappa was also an excellent guitarists and these albums show that, although his style of playing is quite different from mike's. if you want orchestral stuff, get "The Yellow Shark" or "Orchestral Favourites", and if you want to have a look at his more humourus/satirical work, get "Apostrophe", "We're only in it for the money" or "Joe's garage". I'll get back to you when i've got my hands on some more of his records smile
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 05:06

T4,i do agree with you that from the final cut the floyd has not been upto stratch,A Momentary Lapse of Reason,should not have even been called Pink Floyd,but David Gilmour and friends,even though it did have a couple of good track's,but it also had some of the worst songs released by the Floyd,but i do think The Division Bell was a lot better,getting back to jaming together.
But i do see your point.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 12:42

O.K. now guys...dont't you agree that a discussion like that is better held at a Ffffloydforum.
Back to the original topic:
".....those are a few of my favorite things."

And here they are:
Afro Celt Sound System
Dead can dance
Deep Forest
Delerium
Faithless
Leftfield
Moby
Oc
Oio
Terry Oldfield
Michael Rother
Sacred Spirit
Stone Age
Yello

(and my favorite Zappa album is Tinsel Town Rebellion)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 16:47

thankyou for the info Thomas! - I think I'll start with the orchestral stuff, I love orchestral, classical, and jazz - maybe Zappa could become another of my favourites in time!!! smile
Oliver

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
28 replies since April 08 2002, 16:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net