"Platinum" 30  [50.85%]
"Guitar" 4  [6.78%]
"Kids' stuff" 2  [3.39%]
"Catch it" 11  [18.64%]
Something else (please specify below) 12  [20.34%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What does Mike say about 6 seconds into Platinum?, That whispered word...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 23 2006, 17:40

I've never been convinced that it is an actual word. I've often thought that it might just be a bit of vocal percussion - a bit of rhythmic nonsense, if ya like. In the end I don't suppose it matters very much - it's the placing of it and the feel of the thing that really counts - a little bit of human-being-ness inserted into a largely instrumental track.

Of course, it might just be a sneeze, in which case we're probably all wasting our time... :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2006, 09:10

I'm still think it could be a bit of unintentional noise on the clavinet(?) track on the multi-track tape, and they didn't bother to re-record it.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2006, 10:02

It's 'Platinum' for sure. No doubt about it.
I will bet for 1000 pounds  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 27 2006, 12:23

i have always heard platinum.
I have more problems with angelique from light and shade...
agelshhh

hehe

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 00:59

Thanks Stefan and Kay, of course it is Platinum, no doubt about it.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2006, 08:36

Platinum...Platinum...a thousand times Platinum. If you slow it down.... it is obvious!  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: April 08 2007, 18:42

Most definitely a whispered "Platinum".

As an aside, while listening closely to try and identify what was being said, I noticed for the first time a faint chime/glockenspiel playing the main melody line that kicks things off proper on guitar at 1:31. Guess I've had my cloth ears on until now for that one!

Also, does anyone else remember this being used as the theme music for a BBC Scotland school quiz show called 'First Class' in the mid-80s??

Cheers

Rob

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 19 2007, 18:56

Quote (ATTMO @ Jan. 06 2005, 14:25)
I guess it is Platinum but not said as  

[plae tie num]

but as [pla tshinm]

I slowed it down - but I think it is something backwards.   It starts to abruptly to be said normally.  I cant listen to it backwards just now but i'll try it.   This was used by the Beatles on the inner ring track on their album (sgnt peppers).

BTW....An 'album' is a flat disc with a long grove in it that you used to put on a turn table and rotate at 33rpm and it made music come out of the loud speaker!

Katchina, or Kitchiner - is what it sounds like.

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 04:28

I always heard that he said "closer"!
Come "closer" to the microphone or listen "closer" to the headphones.
Thats what I always hear. That don´t sound as a backward tape or as a more syllable word.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 15:49

When I first posted my question/poll, I had no idea that it would spawn 4 pages of discussion, as it did. :laugh: However, I still wonder what's the whole meaning of this - if there is a meaning! :D I thought it was 'Guitar' because the guitar starts right after that - an announcement of some sort. But, IMHO, saying 'Platinum' as an announcement at the start of a piece of music that's not actually called "Platinum" (indeed it's called "Airborne") makes very little sense - doesn't it? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: April 21 2007, 12:46

I have not heard this so I'm going to listen to it, BUT, BUT...correct me because I must be wrong here...my understanding (in fact worse than that my memory, unchecked) was that Mike called the album Airborne and it was changed to Platinum after being recorded. That would mean its highly unlikely he said Platinum if its a correct recollection. Some clever clogs like Mr David Porter will know for sure, David, should you be looking in, or another erudite soul with better memory! Meantimes, I'ld better get my cans on!
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 12:41

Well, the name of the suite is still Platinum, so the voice introduces that. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 17:57

Quote (Ugo @ April 20 2007, 15:49)
I thought it was 'Guitar' because the guitar starts right after that - an announcement of some sort.

Hmmm...

I can see where you're coming from, but there's still at least a couple of bars between his announcement and the guitars coming in, though...  :/

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 22:58

Quote (Ugo @ April 20 2007, 06:49)
When I first posted my question/poll, I had no idea that it would spawn 4 pages of discussion, as it did. :laugh: However, I still wonder what's the whole meaning of this - if there is a meaning! :D I thought it was 'Guitar' because the guitar starts right after that - an announcement of some sort. But, IMHO, saying 'Platinum' as an announcement at the start of a piece of music that's not actually called "Platinum" (indeed it's called "Airborne") makes very little sense - doesn't it? :)

Actually I was the first one that brought up this question Ugo remember and then you changed it into a Poll taking the question away from my original thread.

It doesn't sound like Guitars to me or anything else in the slightest, it always sounded like Platinum. The reason I asked the question in the first place was because it was SO obvious to me right from the first time I noticed it (which I will admit was a long time after I got the album) that he was saying Platinum (altho I will accept some earlier opinions that he may have been a little sloshed when he said it, hence the 'sh' sound in the middle of it), but I could get no-one I knew that I played it to to agree with me, so I asked the question on this site back in 2004 I think it was. It is excellent that it is still being discussed and the Poll Vote has shown Platinum to be the favourite choice.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 14:13

I always thought it was "platinum", what with it sounding like "platinum" and the album being called "Platinum". I've got the 2000 remaster, by the way.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 16:00

Quote (Ugo @ April 20 2007, 15:49)
I thought it was 'Guitar' because the guitar starts right after that - an announcement of some sort.

OK I smell a conspiracy here.

What if Platinum was originally going to be called Tubular Bells '79? What if they dragged Viv Stanshall out of his bathtub to announce the instruments for the opening section? What it the noise we here is a bit of Viv's announcements that they forgot to erase?
This must be the truth. The album even ends with Tubular Bells being striken in grandiose fashion.

Come to think of it, what's up with all the "skibbidy-bap"-stuff? Isn't there a Bonzos-style jazz influence there? Must have been Viv's influence. And the original Sally? It even mentions gorillas. Totally Viv! Rawlinson's End and all that...

Come on, isn't it spooky!  :O

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 16:09

He is saying "Platinum."

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 16:36

God, is this topic still alive?

Jeez, this was in full swing when I was heavily active... about a year ago!

woah!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 19:30

It's been going for 3 years now, cool huh!

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 07:01

LOL, i find it really comical...

Next we'll be having a debate on which order i should make you all my sandwich...

Of course, you'll have to specify whether you want the original sandwich, the 2nd sandwich, the sandwich remix or the sandwich that was supposed to be exactly like the first.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
102 replies since Nov. 30 2004, 18:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net