Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What does it mean to you?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2001, 09:47

Again I'll make an effort to help a little everyone using imagination...

You can choose any song you like and tell what you think Mike was trying to say or, if you prefer, what does it mean for you in your own personal way of feeling... Ready...Steady...GO!!

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2001, 21:04

These are what my fave Mike songs mean to me and their relevance in my life.

"MAN IN THE RAIN"
For me, this song has always meant walking away from the tragedies in your life and learning from them, so that you can begin again and find fulfillment in life. This song has an extra special meaning to me. Before she met me my girlfriend had gone through a particularly rough patch, she had been involved with an older man who had treated her bad and then skipped the country with all her money......anyway, I lent her "Tubular Bells III" and she told me about how "Man In The Rain" had affected her and made her see how important it was to move on with life. As well, she didn't want to see me as another jilted "Man In The Rain", and she later said that was a factor that influenced her decision to ask me out. I am now truly, madly, deeply, passionately and hopelessly in love with probably the loveliest girl in the world (If I sound too gushing I make no apologies, I'm in love remember that...), thanks a billion Mike!!!!

ISLANDS:
To me, this song is about exploring new horizons and finding new experiences ("Islands, never been to before..."). Interestingly it is also about being alone in your explorations, away from those you love. But it says that love can survive any distance ("We are Islands, but never too far...") so long as you keep the fire burning away in your heart ("When the night's on fire, will you keep the candlelight burning" and "I need your light tonight") you will experience heights of emotion unknown to others who are alone ("...and the two can fly much higher"). I live on Christmas Island, but I fly over to Australia every semester to study at the Northern Territory University in Darwin, where my girlfriend lives. So I am familiar with the emotional impact of distance and islands conveyed in this song...

HOLY
This is about how ecstatic you are the first few moments you are in love, everything your partner does is holy, a moment to be treasured, they can do no wrong in your eyes. Holy captures perfectly that sense of ecstatica...

TO FRANCE and FLYING START
These songs are both about the price you pay for achieving your dream in life. In "To France", france represents the dream, the goal that you are striving for in life, and how it can seem so out of reach. It also shows how people can burn out when they don't reach their dream ("Isn't it strange how, dreams fade and shimmer") using the example of another failed dreamer, Mary Queen Of Scots ("Mary Queen of chance will they find you?"). "Flying Start" I think is about a band who achieved great success ("Flying Start, made the whole world sing they had no choice...") and were happy initially ("Like a shining pearl they sang in one voice..."). But felt aimless and lost because they didn't know what to reach for once they had achieved their dream, and burnt themselves out cause they couldn't find any further goals or challenges to give their lives meaning ("So you lost your dream, in a bottle of wine...").

I WELCOME YOUR OPINIONS ON MY ANALYSIS AND WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHATEVER ANALYSIS YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE OF THESE AND OTHER SONGS...AGAIN, IF MY ANALYSIS DOES NOT MATCH WITH YOURS, NO OFFENCE WAS MEANT SO PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME... THANKYOU...

YOURS SINCERELY

BENNYBOY
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2001, 12:39

TALK ABOUT YOUR LIFE

I think that song has a very deep meaning about the moments in your life when you become a part of a relationship in which
one has the need to be closer to other but the other one keeps so distant, cold and uncommunicative. It explores the way the two feel, but mostly the first one, saying "it's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows". I can feel this closely in this life, 'cos I´m in love with a girl that almost never has talked to me; all your friends say like "come on, give up and find another girl, there's a lot" but you feel you have to go on because something tells you that's the one for you. Then you feel alone and misunderstood, but you don't lose hope. You want to touch her heart because you feel you have what she needs although she shows you an icy side. You look for the words and situations to break her ice and find her sensible and needing side... maybe that words are "what´s the reason for hiding and how does crying make you feel?"

FOREIGN AFFAIR

Oh, this song looks a little to me as a travel agency spot... tongue

Bennyboy, I agree with all your views of those songs and thank you for enriching my way of feeling them, specially 'Islands'

Keep on proving your imagination!

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 17 2001, 14:50

Very interesting what's coming out here...I'll give my own view (and in some cases, what Mike's is, to the best of my knowledge) on some of the songs that have been mentioned first...

HOLY: I think I might have interpreted similar to bennyboy. I heard, however, that it was about one of Mike's children.

FLYING START: This is a song about Kevin Ayers. An obvious pointer to this (although I missed it completely until someone else pointed it out wink) is 'made the whole world sing', the whole world being the name of Ayers' band which Mike played in...Ayers had a home on some island or other (I believe it may have been Ibiza...), hence the 'place in the sun' bit. The 'lost your dream in a bottle of wine' bit might refer to excessive drinking (that being something capable of losing dreams for people...). I don't know if Kevin ever had that particular problem, however, The irony is, of course, that Mike managed to get Kevin to sing the song...

TALK ABOUT YOUR LIFE: I always felt this might describe talking to a counsellor, who would ask what the reason for hiding away from problems was, how crying made you feel...going over past experiences in your life that might have caused these difficulties...

To this I shall add...

HEAVEN'S OPEN: A song about freedom. The gates to heaven are open, now's the chance to fly right in...Loads of images here about things that are becoming quickly possible, the power in your hands...
I think it would be expressing mike's feelings on leaving Virgin...that his freedom awaited...

Of course, a song can have several different meanings, even to the person who wrote it. You can start playing with ideas that relate to one particular subject, then they quickly conjure up other ideas and images which start to bend the meaning.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 06 2001, 12:26

BRIDGE TO PARADISE and MAKE MAKE:

Well, I feel that this two songs (that were one-followed-by-the-other in terms of discographical order) speak about the same subject, being the growing urge from Mike's to abandon definetly the materialistical values from the world represented by RB and Virgin... I think every listener to Mike's music with the expected degrees of sensibility and creativeness has felt sometime involved in the problem of being lost in a world of crazy cloth-eared nincompoops and kind of lost his way. Two interesting songs, if you agree, maybe even more for the lyrics than for music itself.
wink
Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: April 06 2001, 15:50

TALK ABOUT YOUR LIFE

Once upon a time, there was a young lady with whom I frequently (ahem, ahem). We (ahem)ed quite a bit, actually. But when the (ahem)ing was done, she just closed up emotionally. Couldn't chat with her, couldn't try to get to know her.

I put this song on a tape and told her it reminded me of her, and said a lot about what I was feeling.

Things changed after that, and it wasn't all (ahem) any more.
Profile PM WEB 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: April 07 2001, 16:04

To me, MITR suggests facing your problems, and realising that the best (and maybe only) thing to do is to rise above it and remember that you are who you are, and no-one can say any different.

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 07 2001, 16:37

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 07 2001, 16:44

INNOCENT

What a feeling to become a father! IMO, this is the perfect song about it. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 08 2001, 15:48

eek

HAHAHAHA!!!!!
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Now I´ve proved I can't laugh no more!!! mad

Pacha Daddy, you've given me such a new point of view about such a lovely song...

I've just realized it's not only imagination subject... It´s as well a sincerity test...? confused

I hope this song helped you (and her)to (ahem)in a more romantic way...

(ahem,ahem) rolleyes

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 08 2001, 17:28

Is it my turn?

It is my turn. smile

ISLANDS: A very romantic and moving song. The line "We are islands but never too far" conveys to me a nice image of two separate people (maybe a man and a woman) who keep feeling together even if they are many miles apart. "When the night's on fire...will you keep the candlelight burning": yes, the light of love, the light of passion. Always keep it burning. smile

MAN IN THE RAIN: another great song. The dramatic feeling is evident in its poignant lyrics about making choices; the more we meditate on a choice to be made, the more we get far from really making that choice. And this can only bring to no good, because it leads us to other bigger and more complicate choices. It's not only Mike's situation, it's everybody's life....

Too serious an answer for this topic? Well, I can't really say, but this is what I think. smile wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: April 09 2001, 13:42

I'm late! biggrin biggrin

Shadow on the wall

The discrimination to the minor people and/or other race (Freeze me till I'm cold...).

The Millennium Bell

The end of an era of ingenious, terrible catastrophes, discovers, empires, and the start of an optimist millennium ;D

Arrivederci - Bye - Adeu - Agur - Adiós - Konichi-wa - Aufviedersein - Au revoir - Aloha - Anything more? biggrin
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 10 2001, 04:30

One of my favourite songs from MO is Mistake:

This, in part, seems like an uplifting song (especially the guitar solo at 1.50), but the lyrics are actually anything but! To me, this song says that things can, and possibly will, get worse. One mistake can affect the whole balance of life.

The section "I took him on the radio, you never know how to say..." sometimes means exactly that...that people go on to the radio and sometimes want to request Mike Oldfield music, but don't know whether they can or what to say if they ask for, say, "Amarok", so they ask for music that they know will get played (such as Dire Straits, Queen, Fleetwood Mac (the "Rumours FM) etc.). This sometimes feels bad, as MO never gets played on the radio (except "Moonlight Shadow"), but it's also good in a way, as you don't want the whole world to become MO fans, you want to keep MO, as someone said in Symptoms of Fanatics, as your own little secret.

Sometimes, the song is uplifting as well, to me, and "You wonder why" tells me to figure how what the mistake was, and how to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 12 2001, 18:31

Cheers all!!! biggrin

And Eye say...

Ugo, why do you talk about no doubting and being self-assured, and then you wonder if you got too serious??? T'was neyes!!!!

I thank you all for the sincerity and just keep going the good stuff!!! smile

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2002, 21:36

Some more meanings.

MAKE MAKE
Duh. It's an attack on commesialism and our obsession with money ("We only take take) and how it hurts us (We're making Heartbreak)

HEAVEN'S OPEN
I find this an incredably joyous song, and I feel the lyrics reflect that.

SAVED BY A BELL
This is a BIG reference to Mike's fued with Branson. Saved by a bell would refer to (duh) Tubular Bells, and 'Suffer in Hell, but you were too blind to tell' would refer to the fact that mike wasn't getting the recognition/ promotion he wanted, and he hated that.

MUSIC FROM THE BALCONY
"F-You" is repeated several times. Don't we all know who to!!!!

NO DREAM
To me, this song (one of the very best) sounds like Mike trying to describe the cold, harsh realty of something or another (I need some help here, i was never very good at this.)

SHADOW ON THE WALL
Sounds like something about Prison/Slavery

That's it for now. I might do more soon.

www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
14 replies since Mar. 15 2001, 09:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net