Topic: What do you think of MOTS?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ray Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2007, 14:58

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 14 2007, 21:15)
Quote (Clodomir @ Nov. 14 2007, 18:20)
it lacks traditional instruments

?????

Ha! Ha! Ha!  Alan  - you spotted this too.  I guess there is no lute or hurdy gurdy!!!  Ha! Ha! Ha!!    ( I need the skype emoticon - the one where the guys head falls off laughing!!!;)   :D   :D

But  - I think he meant Mike is a GUITARIST, or at least he was until he sold all his guitars (no complaints from me there  ;)).   So we want more screaming gibsons and PRS's like on Shaddow on the Wall and some of Tubular bells and Ommadawn and Incantaions.

I think lots of people are indicating that they were hoping for more of that Absolutely brilliant sounding stuff - rather than some bits that sound good ish surrounded by lift music (OK bit harsh but.....)

Yes - Mr Oldfield did say he was going Orchestral, but he is flexing his comopositional muscle rather than those little string plucking and hammering digits we all like so much!  Actually I think he is flexing his ability to clip bits out of his previous albums and use them again,  again!!  I can just see a list appearing in this forum listing the exact times of each bit he has taken from previous work - Now there is a challenge for soomeone like Tubularman??   As long as Korgscrew doesn spoil it and give us the list now!! (  :cool: )

Ray  (but at least i'm listening to it again just now)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2007, 17:55

(Clodomir @ Nov. 14 2007, 18:20)
it lacks traditional instruments

Ha! Ha! Ha!  Alan  - you spotted this too.  I guess there is no lute or hurdy gurdy!!!  Ha! Ha! Ha!!    ( I need the skype emoticon - the one where the guys head falls off laughing!!!      

I think clodomir just meant folk/traditional, like steel stringed acoustic, the afore mentioned Bodhran etc etc..

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 15 2007, 19:54

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 15 2007, 14:58)
Actually I think he is flexing his ability to clip bits out of his previous albums and use them again,  again!!  I can just see a list appearing in this forum listing the exact times of each bit he has taken from previous work - Now there is a challenge for soomeone like Tubularman??

LOLZORS PWNZORED ROFLCOPTER OMGWTFBBQ.

Actually, the fact that this album displays more compositions skills than EARDRUM PIERCING GUITAR SHRIEKING skills is what I like so much about it. After all, he already released Guitars. 'Twas about time for him to release Melodies... :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 15 2007, 21:05

i love it very much.
Let me say it like this:

Everytime i hear it i find new pearls. New themes, new sounds..
It is a lovely stunning album. This is not far away from his greatest work. Ommadawn will forever be my fav. No one can ever beat that album. Mike did it and i guess he never will make such a great album like Ommadawn. It is not just the music with Ommadawn, it is memories.. Enough about that album.
MOTS is on the top 10 :) maybe Top 5 :D
I'll wait for the final review when the album is released! ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2007, 11:47

What instruments does Mike play in the new album? or did he compose the orchestral pieces? I think it sounds like its going to be amazing. Maybe be a bit easier to tour with aswell. *fingers crossed*

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Gilles Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2007, 02:07

Well, I had the opportunity to listen to it and to be honest, I'm not very convinced.
It has a few good moments, for sure, but it's quite boring and there are too much references to TB.
I don't understand why he can't - and despite what he said in some interviews - depart from TB.
I really think he lost inspiration. But this is nothing new. I wonder what happened to the Mike Oldfield of the first 10 years...
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2007, 05:11

Listening to MOTS and then talking about a lack of inspiration.....
Profile PM 
Gilles Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 02:27

Quote (Jesse @ Nov. 19 2007, 05:11)
Listening to MOTS and then talking about a lack of inspiration.....

Yes.

It lacks inspiration and energy. Remove the TB parts and listen what's left...
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 04:17

just because something sounds similar to tb doesn't mean uninspired. Maybe unoriginal, but that's a different thing.

Like, I could compose a tune that really comes from the heart and it feels inspired by 'the muses' etc, but the form it takes can be a familiar one to me.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 06:30

If you feel a peice of music is boring then say so. If you feel it is uninspiring and derivative it is surely fair to say you think the creator of the music was uninspired?

Me, I think Mike was inspired in creating MOTS and I find it inspiring but that is just my view.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 07:00

Quote (Gilles @ Nov. 20 2007, 16:27)
Remove the TB parts and listen what's left...

So remove Harbinger and Harbinger Reprise then?

What else is there in MOTS that could be called a "TB part"?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 07:25

Quote (glasgow_tubular @ Nov. 16 2007, 13:47)
What instruments does Mike play in the new album? or did he compose the orchestral pieces? I think it sounds like its going to be amazing. Maybe be a bit easier to tour with aswell. *fingers crossed*

-the piano parts Lang Lang didn't play

-acoustic guitars(classical/flamenco)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 17:33

You know, it strikes me as rather odd. I remember having a discussion before... i believe it was just before L+S was released, and what came out of it was that there was this divide... some people could be quite happy with "recycled ideas" but new interpretations whilst others only want completely original stuff.

As always with Oldfield, I doubt although he's said he's interested in listeners, thats really his motivation. Typically, in the past we've seen him be particularly self motivated when it came to the music he produced - especially after he left Virgin. I really do believe MOTS is an experiment like so many albums before, like "I wonder if i can make an album with ONLY guitars" this is like "I wonder if I can make an album with ONLY classical instruments".

I for one sit in the interpretation camp. I don't mind whats produced, because ultimately, I believe we have very little actual control over what is put out anyway. I appreciate MOTS for what it is, whether that is a complete rip off of the TB structure, some of the themes or not. There's still enough originality for me to consider it as a seperate piece of music to an earlier piece, so for that I'm glad.

We've already had like 20 odd albums before that... I dunno about the board here but I for one would like to see some rethinking of old themes... like maybe crises II or somesuch. Like i said though, thats entirely up to Mike. So i'll just take what I can get and be happy with it.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 17:36

Quote (Moz @ Nov. 20 2007, 12:00)
Quote (Gilles @ Nov. 20 2007, 16:27)
Remove the TB parts and listen what's left...

So remove Harbinger and Harbinger Reprise then?

The beginning of the tempest, Musica universalis' stringed bass line...

You cant deny it... there is a lot of TB influence there...

I am listening again.. I honestly wince in my chair when I hear the guitar playing.. its nowhere near what the great Mike Oldfield is capable of.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 05:25

Quote (jonnyw @ Nov. 20 2007, 22:36)
Quote (Moz @ Nov. 20 2007, 12:00)
... Harbinger and Harbinger Reprise then?

The beginning of the tempest, Musica universalis' stringed bass line...

Harmonia Mundi reminds me of Ambient Guitars which is fine because I love both pieces!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
MauroSV Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2007, 12:37

I love Mike's music, but "Music of the spheres" is one of the worst Mike's albums, IMHO...For me "Tres lunas", "Light&Shade" are better :(
"Music of the spheres" doesn't touch my soul...
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2007, 05:37

For MotS is one of the best album Mike did.  It is different than anything he did before and I hope he will stick a bit on this genre too.
Profile PM WEB 
zeit Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2008, 22:38

I can't bear those rippers eager to spread judgments...
that's mediocrity !

This is mathematical, inspiration hardly lasts a lifetime,
but it's absurd to speak of lack of inspiration for a muse.
It would be a non-sense for me to criticize the work of an
artist that has sharpened my musical tastes in such a great
way. I can count on one hand those that have let me hear
this celestial symphony... Mike is obviously one of them.

This new album sounds like a good soundtrack, it's not
pompous and boring like many orchestral stuff. As always in
Mike's works, I feel lots of positive energy and serenity in it,
round and gentle... this album is breathing life...

Lively and peaceful !!!
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2008, 03:31

well, when I heard about a piece a classical music, I was asking myself about that; I love classical music (but not only, of course!;), and I was curious about the way my favorite artist could compose such a piece.
MO's style is so unique, I was afraid of listening to a "non Mike Oldfield music", to something which would be more classical than "oldfieldal".
So, I have a promo copy now and I'm in Heaven. It's classical but before all it's Mike's music. In some parts I find a reminiscence of previous work and that's so good. And in the same time it's completely new. This music is original, sweet and dynamic.
For myself it's a really good job, maybe not the best. My favorites albums are still Amarok and Ommadawn and my favourite song "No dream".
Yes, Mike continues to surprise the world and I'm sure that is not his ultimate creation. My God, this man is really a genius.
Thanks a lot to him for giving so much...
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 17:10

I have to say that i didnt liked MOTS..

Its not boring..yes it haves alot from tb.. I like Mikes music but that is not the reson that i need to like everything he creates.

And Animus terebly remainds me on one song from ex-Yugoslavian band..

Lets just say that this is not my kind of music...

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
59 replies since Nov. 08 2007, 17:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net